Uk. 53.4084 N 2 .9916W.
First Name
Black
Last Name
Tan
Member #

Service Branch
Boys brigade
All well and good avoiding putting gear on top but when its allso your work truck and you need ladders every now and again the choise beetween towing a trailer or throwing them on the roof is a no brainer horses for courses

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Ok all good feedback. My gist tho is i have fairly long wheelbase and fairly light/low center of gravity, (1990 toyota ext cab pickup) and we dont plan on any hardcore wheelin. Slow and low on the highway too. Gas mileage meh, hes not a daily driver. Gonna try this setup and see how it feels. Can always change up later.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I don't put anything up there if I can avoid it, for the reasons already stated. This is a little easier for me than for many folks since I am a minimalist and try to carry as little as humanly possible.

Cottonwoody

US West Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Influencer II

Redding CA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

I needed a spot to securely mount the High Lift, 4 Gal Rotopax, Traction Boards and shovel so I borrowed an idea and made some changes to the design. It needed to be low profile enough to get in the garage and clears by about 4"s.

View attachment 17799
What are u using to secure your Rotopax and Maxtrax?

Sent from my XT1254 using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Milan Lazorcik

Winterpeg

CDN Prairie Ambassador
Staff member
Launch Member

Influencer II

Winnipeg, MB
Member #

I carry a few things up top to camp.... folding chairs, cheap folding table, etc.
I try to carry most things on my quad trailer.
At camp it looks like this..... solar panels and cell phone booster.
IMG_20160803_204203.jpg

Daniel Etter

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Fishers, IN
First Name
Dan
Last Name
Etter
Member #

On the H3 I had a Garvin Wilderness rack that I would mount my hi-lift, shovel/axe, and some recovery gear. I also would throw my kayak or surfboard up there when I'd hit the beach. Not sure what rack I'll get for the 4Runner yet.

Glenn

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate I

New Tazewell, Tennessee, USA
First Name
Glenn
Last Name
Cote
Member #

On the roof I have an RTT and a light weight cargo rack with our lightest gear in it. Maybe 300lbs total on the roof at most.
I am more concerned with a trails tree clearance, than off camber weight. I have pretty heavy duty suspension with great articulation. Also running heavy 35" x 12.50 tire/rim combos, i have almost 100lb anchors in each corner with a good footprint. A lot of rigs do not articulate well and that's where tipping can definitely become an issue, even without weight up there.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We go on 5,6,7, & 8 week tours. Even with our kitchen, H20, extra petro, and basecamp gear in the trailer, because of our style of overlanding, ( get to a base camp, set up, then backpack from the basecamp ) and as backpacks take up a lot of stowage space, we found it necessary to start putting things up top. So, up on the very lightweight Frontrunner, 71 lbs. is our Jettent 25x - 60 lbs, Traction boards, 15 lbs, #5 propane tank, 16 lbs, solar panel, 15lbs, shovel, 5 lbs, mounting hardware, 5 lbs. Total weight up top is less than 200 lbs, the bulk of our wieght distribution is in the trailer with only about 100-150lbs of tongue weight. The backpacks, daypacks, clothing, hiking gear, extraction equipment, tools, and dryfoods are in the rear of the cruzer. All the camera gear rides on the second row seats along with an engle fridge freezer mounted in the middle. Our weight distribution is as good as it gets.

Mike W

US MidWest Region Local Expert
Staff member
Investor

Expedition Master III

Iowa, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
IowaLR4
Member #

I think my gear is too big, but for the four of us, we need the roof space to fit all the comfy stuff. Pillows, bags, pads, etc. Its pretty light other than the pelican cases themselves. I also have jerry mounts, but I don't often need them. You can search my posts, I use (EO)2 mounts to snap them onto the rack and they have locks. I can also pad lock the pelicans. I love being able to close the upper tailgate on my LR4 and just stand on the lower tailgate, or my ladder and pull stuff out of the cases without removing them. Its fast and easy. I have been looking at a nice large 100watt solar panel to make a bit more of a wind fairing in front of the cases. Generate more power but also help with the wind a bit on the faster roads.

Oh, and BTW, we don't normally pack those huge chairs. We just love them for local trips. Those are definitely huge.

Tim

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Oxford, UK
First Name
Tim
Last Name
Lunn
Member #

Most of the time it's just our ARB rack up there. Try to keep stuff off the rack as it's tall enough already to cause me issues with car park height restrictions. Then when I need it there's the roof top tent and the maxtraxs. Also usually have a dry bag with the tent's annex in. Try to keep stuff off the roof, apart from extra weight up high I can't get it up there and again down safely. I use a spare wheel step to access the rack.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Glenn