Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
That's what I did with my extended Load Warrior. I mounted the lighter behind the wind deflector, and folded it down when I wanted to use the light. This kept bugs off of it, avoided breakage, and kept it out of the wind for some imagined MPG savings. Plus, it was a good conversation piece. :)

View attachment 38634 View attachment 38635
that was my exact thought process with mine, well whenever I do it. I have 2 small light bars on my bull bar that are sufficient for now. I have yet to find a need for added light yet accept off the back for cargo and trailer purposes.

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

I have nothing on my roof but a pair of Maxtrax, and hope I never need to put anything else up there (so far I can fit our family of 4, small dog, and all gear for up to a week inside the truck). Weight up that high is the worst, especially for a guy like me who has a heavy foot and prefers 80 - 90 on the highway between spots. To each is own of course, most won't notice the weight up there though so no biggie, load up that roof rack and just take er' slow!

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Epic Overland

vagabondexpedition

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

various
Member #

I hate the weight and change in center of gravity, but it's a necessary evil at times.

This is an older photo, and I've added even more now since this shot.
Rear of the fuel Rotopax is a Plano cargo box and to the front of the fuel Rotopax are a couple of water ones. I try to keep everything empty unless I know that I'm going to need it though.

In the Badlands
by e j, on Flickr

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

Prinsu design full roof rack, 42” LED lightbar, Tepui Grand Sabana, smittybilt awning. In process of finding good locations for a shovel and Traction mats.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Reactions: Luis Merlo

DCFISK

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

LANTANA, TX
Member #

I hate the weight and change in center of gravity, but it's a necessary evil at times.

Rear of the fuel Rotopax is a Plano cargo box and to the front of the fuel Rotopax are a couple of water ones. I try to keep everything empty unless I know that I'm going to need it though.

In the Badlands
by e j, on Flickr
Cool drone shot[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

In the Badlands
by e j, on Flickr
That is such a rad shot indeed!!

Sent from my Pixel XL using OB Talk mobile app

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
TOP HEAVY LOADS/ROOF RACKS/HIGH CENTER OF GRAVITY:
Not sure if this is the correct location for this topic but here we go:

I have cruised around this excellent site and see a great many roof racks pictured, with BIG loads. I own a roof rack and purchased it because it is made of aluminum, so if I do use it, it is lighter than if made from most other materials.

BUT I have avoided using it, mostly due to the higher center of gravity and increased chance of rolling over that the roof rack brings with it. I like going to places that are remote, and that brings with it off camber roads, tight turns, hanging tree branches, etc., all of which don't like a tall vehicle.

Most of our vehicles are lifted, so they have a higher than stock height already, and a roof rack only makes that situation worse.

I guess what I am saying is I am surprised, from what I have seen, that no one that I can find in the OB writings on this site, cautions about the danger of roof racks, especially if heavily loaded, and at least to avoid them if possible, OR how to load them, IF one MUST use a roof rack.

For many of the same reasons I try and NOT tow our Canadian M101 trailer and have only used it one time on a trip, about 7 years ago.

So that is my story.

Does anyone have a BMW R80G/S? We ride them off road as well.

Reactions: Zdorf

Christian

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Duesseldorf, Germany
Member #

https://www.overlandbound.com/forums/threads/diy-no-welding-roof-rack.2421/page-2#post-148049 and following

DIY of 30mm x 3mm aluminum tubes with connectors public transport over here uses for handrails in trams and buses. all in all 10kg incl. flood lights. plus 10kg for 110W solar panel and annex/awning storage box made of 2mm aluminum. 12kg arb touring 2000 awning. some estimated 2kg for bolts, nuts and brackets. still to come: ARB touring series III RTT (simpson) with 55kg completing it to unbelievable 90kg, just 15kg above car manufacturer limit.

Last edited:

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
TOP HEAVY LOADS/ROOF RACKS/HIGH CENTER OF GRAVITY:
Not sure if this is the correct location for this topic but here we go:

I have cruised around this excellent site and see a great many roof racks pictured, with BIG loads. I own a roof rack and purchased it because it is made of aluminum, so if I do use it, it is lighter than if made from most other materials.

BUT I have avoided using it, mostly due to the higher center of gravity and increased chance of rolling over that the roof rack brings with it. I like going to places that are remote, and that brings with it off camber roads, tight turns, hanging tree branches, etc., all of which don't like a tall vehicle.

Most of our vehicles are lifted, so they have a higher than stock height already, and a roof rack only makes that situation worse.

I guess what I am saying is I am surprised, from what I have seen, that no one that I can find in the OB writings on this site, cautions about the danger of roof racks, especially if heavily loaded, and at least to avoid them if possible, OR how to load them, IF one MUST use a roof rack.

For many of the same reasons I try and NOT tow our Canadian M101 trailer and have only used it one time on a trip, about 7 years ago.

So that is my story.
It’s definitely been talked about before. Everyone has their rig built for their own reasons and I’d like to think that we all operate within our vehicle’s limits. Just so you know you’re all welcome to join myself and many other members by adventuring in a Subaru. Low CG paired with a low roof line. Win win haha.

I actually think it’s funny you failed to mention one of the heavier options gracing the roofs of many a rig... roof top tents. These are heavier than everything I keep in my roof basket and you don’t see these flopping like a tuna out of water off road.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Yea, good point, RTTs. One reason I don't have one is higher CG.

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Yea, good point, RTTs. One reason I don't have one is higher CG.
Even though it’s been talked about before it’s certainly never a bad idea to remind people to think about it when they decide to put things on the roof. So please don’t take my comment as dismissive.

WE ROME

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Glenmoore, PA
First Name
Mac
Last Name
Kirkpatrick
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N3VMI, WRER282
Service Branch
USAF retired, fire p
Dismissive? Well I know where you live :-)

Sorta near me as it turns out!
Would you have happened to be on a OB East event in VT about 6 weeks ago? There was a very nicely set up Subaru on that ride, very impressive what one can do, and what can be done, with a Subaru. And the build quality that Subaru does is superb. It's a very missed platform IMO.

Thanks for your reply.

Wawa Skittletits

Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
Dismissive? Well I know where you live :-)

Sorta near me as it turns out!
Would you have happened to be on a OB East event in VT about 6 weeks ago? There was a very nicely set up Subaru on that ride, very impressive what one can do, and what can be done, with a Subaru. And the build quality that Subaru does is superb. It's a very missed platform IMO.

Thanks for your reply.
Haha!

I wish I could say it was me but it was not. Subaru’s are definitely on the rise off road but still few and far between. Id be the first to say that they have their limitations but also their redeeming qualities. Not to mention I typically do things differently anyway haha.

Jorrie

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Durbanville, South Africa
Member #

I have a small home made rack. I try not to load to much on the roof. Wind drag and center of gravity exc. Mostly anything that is to dirty gets thrown on top. Trax, trash, spare wheel, wood.