Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

What is in your winter kit?

This topic not only applies to your rig, but also your daily drivers. What items do you keep stashed in your vehicles to keep you warm, hydrated, and fed when the weather dictates that your travel be halted at the worst possible time?

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Here Central Texas, not much. Back in New Hampshire, where I am from, my kit was a bit more extensive. Some candles, cotton soaked in bacon grease, matches, emergency blanket, signal mirror, flashlight, road flare, couple bottles of Poland Springs water, couple of granola bars, HotHands warmers, and a few other things I can't really remember.
Since my rig is my daily, that kit was always there. Now, though, I don't carry nearly that much.

Robert OB 33/48

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder III

Gaanderen
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Keim
Member #

Here in Holland?
Well, some blankets, some water, and my phone. Nearest town is about an hour walk, if you are out in the field. Otherwise, nothing can happen here.

Joey D

Rank IV
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Holladay, UT
Member #

MaxTrax, tow straps, and shackles so I can attempt to pull myself out if I end up in a snow bank or a ditch. If I am truly stuck though, I do carry some emergency space blankets, a flashlight, a windup radio that has the weather service on it, and a small tin cup that I could melt snow in to have drinking water.

stoney126

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Influencer II

Napa Ca
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Stoner
Member #

Here Central Texas, not much. Back in New Hampshire, where I am from, my kit was a bit more extensive. Some candles, cotton soaked in bacon grease, matches, emergency blanket, signal mirror, flashlight, road flare, couple bottles of Poland Springs water, couple of granola bars, HotHands warmers, and a few other things I can't really remember.
Since my rig is my daily, that kit was always there. Now, though, I don't carry nearly that much.
Why did you go with bacon grease instead of petroleum jelly? Just curious

TreXTerra

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Salt Lake City, Utah
Member #

• Wool blanket (2)
  • Mylar emergency blanket (a bunch)
  • Serious First Aid Kit
  • Boo-boo first aid kit
  • Air compressor
  • Shovel
  • Backpacking snow shovel
  • Ice scraper
  • Two gallons of drinking water
  • Emergency drinking water pouches
  • Emergency food
  • Dual-band handheld ham radio
  • 2M ham radio with list of all state-wide repeaters
  • Lighter
  • Flint and knife
And, of course, all the other stuff I usually carry, which I have posted about elsewhere. Actually the only stuff I add for winter are the ice scraper and folding snow shovel. The rest lives in the car all the time.

MA_Trooper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

Why did you go with bacon grease instead of petroleum jelly? Just curious
Didn't have to buy it. Just use the leftover pan grease. I have also found it lights up a little quicker. It tends to burn quicker too so make sure you have your kindling, mediums, and branches ready to go. Besides, The fire smells wonderful. Lifts your spirits. You may be alone, lost and cold. But you can smell bacon. :)

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

Didn't have to buy it. Just use the leftover pan grease. I have also found it lights up a little quicker. It tends to burn quicker too so make sure you have your kindling, mediums, and branches ready to go. Besides, The fire smells wonderful. Lifts your spirits. You may be alone, lost and cold. But you can smell bacon. :)
This may be the best survival item ever...

Wolvee

ᕕ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡° ) ︻デ═一 pew pew
Staff member
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Member #

I'm in Virginia and I just mowed my lawn last week. :0) ..but I'm not sure we add anything to the DD's. We have basic bug out bags (BOB's are glorified weekend trip back packs with the away from home basics.) in the wife's car and my truck. During the winter I put a Tonneau cover on my truck and there's always at least a case of water since we drink water like mad.

There's always a blanket in the vehicles as well in the winter.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Winter, what is that? Oh, I remember, that is when we have to wear long sleeve shirts.

Hey, you guys have all the great places right in your backyard, let me poke a little fun about wearing shorts and t-shirts in December.

toxicity_27

US MidWest Region Member Rep
Launch Member

Member II

Minnesota
Member #

I don't typically keep much in the Jeep. I do try to put boots, a change of clothes and my Carhartt bibs and jacket in though, along with my recovery gear. Water would freeze solid so I keep an empty bottle that I could melt snow in as well.

Lifestyle Overland

Rank VI
Founder 500

Pathfinder II

United States
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
McCuiston
Member #

1. Water
2. Extra Jackets
3. Gloves
4. Beanie
5. Lighter/Matches

If we're off grid:

6. Extra Rations (More than we carry during the summer)
7. Delorme Emergency Comms (always with us, but especially in cold weather)

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

Water, blankets, Little Buddy propane heater, food, tow straps, recovery bag, etc.... But, honestly it is 60 degrees here in Indiana, in December!! This is crazy to be this warm here this time of the year!