HappyOurOverlanding

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Verdi Nevada
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI7RAM
I need to find a decent bag that I can take hiking. Currently just a Nikon D5500 with the 18-55 kit lens, along with a couple of Go Pros and the assorted bits and bobs that go with them, as well as an older Nikon Coolpix P&S. I also will bring a Chromebook with a 4TB external hard drive to offload everything onto.
I use a pro-master soft bag. Much like a backpack. It serves me well on hikes. Has enough room for gear, laptop, etc. And comes with a tripod foot holder that works with my collapsible tripod.1549388771936.jpeg

xjfan

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Florida
Our bag has a 7D mk1 with Sigma 17-70 and 50 1.8...

Just picked up our first full frame in POTN. 5D mk1 with 28-135..

Looking for a good lens, for an upcoming trip to Grand Canyon, Page, AZ and Monument Valley.

Hope to pick one up soon and practice....

DaPyrate

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Hamilton, Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Gill
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8PBK
Service Branch
U.S. Army Veteran
I'm an amateur and just mess around with travel photography but I have a Canon 60d, Sony A7III, Tokina 12-24 f4, Canon 50 f1.8, Sony 28-70 f3.5-5.6, Sigma MC-11 adapter and a DJI Mavic Pro drone in my bag.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I carry my camera in a "Pelican-like" case from Princess Auto. It sits nicely on the floor boards behind the driver's seat in my Jeeps. It's small but it holds my Nikon D5000 with Nikkor 18-55 lens, Nikkor 55-200 lens & Nikon SpeedLight SB-700 plus a strap, some shades & a small accessory bag (not shown). When I'm out and about I just put the camera in my back pack.

I also have a small Minolta point & shoot that sometimes spends time in my glove box ... but really spend more time in my tool box in the garage.

Overall, I think I use my cell phone half of the time.

View attachment 84778 View attachment 84779
If anyone likes these boxes for cameras or anything else, they will be on sale at Princess Auto from Feb 19 to Mar 3. Regularly $37.99 on sale for $19.99 CDN. They're really tough boxes and come in a variety of sizes (this is the smallest). It seems that all sizes go on sale at some point.

https://www.princessauto.com/en/detail/10-in-impact-resistant-tool-box/A-p8486003e

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

Bodies: Nikons d7200, FM2n, FE2, Mamiya 645 w/80mm
Lens for Nikons 70-210 f4-5.6, 24mm f2.8, 60mm macro, 50mm 1.8, tamron 70-200 f2.8. and I do not carry it much anymore as it weighs a ton but if birds are on the menu or I need to reach out farther in broad daylight a 100-300 f5.6
Bogen Tripod with Acratech GP ball head.
All packed into a Lowepro Whistler 450AW backpack.
Well not all of it. My choice of bodies controls how much extra gear and bags. I have an old Tamrac shoulder bag I will carry. It is great to work out of. I have a EMS fanny pack I will take as well depending on where I am going. I carry this less since I got the 450AW. And if I just need to take it all I have a huge Tamrac bag that can fit all of my film bodies and most of my lenses along with filters film cleaning stuff and extra tools.

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

@XJinBC Props to you for using the Mamiya. Those are great cameras. I had a RB67 in the past.

I shoot both professionally and for fun - mostly "New Topographics" stuff - which is basically a mix of natural and man-made landscapes. A lot of my work consists of big panoramas on medium format film (see: https://www.flickr.com/photos/brickartisan/) which calls for big cameras (but I like it that way, there's something very satisfying about working a massive magnesium-alloy camera from 30 years ago and getting it to do what you want)!

Current kit is a Linhof Technika V (bought for a measly $90, repaired it myself), Sinar Zoom back for panoramas, Lisco holders for 4x5, Nikon 75mm f/4.5, Schneider 135mm f/4.7, Schneider 47mm f/5.6. I'll usually throw in my Rolleiflex too. When going for hikes, I'll take the Linhof and 2 lenses, or the Rolleiflex + digital if I'm traveling light.

Loading film for the Linhof V. Those hardcases are great, by the way. You can find them on sale at Sam's Club, Costco, and Horror Freight.

Recently, I converted my digital to shoot in infrared. Landscapes are gorgeous, just surreal! I'd encourage anyone with a spare digital body and $200 to give it a shot (you can always shoot in "normal" colour if you put a hot-mirror filter on the converted camera).

JimInBC

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Southern Vancouver Island
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Freer
Member #

@Baipin Nice set up for the film.
Are you scanning negatives or do you contact print?

I had dabbled with infrared film back in school. I like the effect, might need to pick up some film and give it a try again. It can create an amazing feel in an image. it is less permanent than converting a digital body to it.

Gabriel Bozeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Oak Harbor, WA, USA
First Name
Gabriel
Last Name
Bozeman
Member #

I have a Canon T2i, but I rarely ever really it out with me. It is just too much to carry and take out of I want to snap a quick photo.

I have a Google Pixel that takes amazing pics and then on top of that I have a special case and a set of lenses from Moment (https://www.shopmoment.com) that attach right onto my phone. They have 5 or so lenses that work great. Best setup for mobile phones I've seen on the market. They slide right on without scratching the lens. Plus, they are small so you don't have to carry around a bigger DSLR. They are a little pricey ($95ish for each lens and $30 for the case) but cheaper then a good DSLR.

The lenses are compatible with any case so if you have a Pixel, iPhone, Galaxy, or One Plus I highly suggest and recommend these. IMG_20190218_080330.jpeg1550505756310.jpegIMG_20190218_080432.jpeg

Baipin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

@Baipin Nice set up for the film.
Are you scanning negatives or do you contact print?

I had dabbled with infrared film back in school. I like the effect, might need to pick up some film and give it a try again. It can create an amazing feel in an image. it is less permanent than converting a digital body to it.
Yup - I scan and develop myself! C-41 chemicals in my an old laundry tub, and digitzing them with an Epson V600. It's very low cost and simple.
Digital infrared isn't necessarily "final" - you can convert back to normal colour by putting a "hot mirror" filter onto your lens. It's the same kind of filter they remove for the infrared conversion. Basically, instead of putting it inside the camera body, you're moving it to the outside of the lens. Exact same thing, but in the form of a screw on filter, so you can shoot infrared by taking it off. Unless you're shooting black and white IR, that kind of film is expensive!

Reactions: ZRex and JimInBC

Traveler I

Nor Cal
I'm very happy with it. It's really sharp and does very well in low light. Manual focus of course, but I'm usually shooting at infinity. I'll probably start using it for wide landscape shots as well due to its clarity. Not bad for a relatively cheap lens.
Do you use it to shot Milky Way shots with? If so can you provide some images that you've taken it with.
Thanks!

Reactions: ZRex