Whats a good battery setup for a camper trailer?

• HTML tutorial

trailhunter

Rank III

Traveler I

US
I took the plunge, ordered a intech rv trailer. I'd like to upgrade the battery, whats a good deep cycle battery solution for weekend long usage?

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
That's kind of an open ended question. The answer is going to be based on what you have pulling power.
I run a group 24 lead acid deep cycle with a 100 watt solar. The only thing on it is my fridge, tablet and 1 led light.. No sun and i'm good for 2 full days. My new trailer which will be done soon has more lights, tablet, fridge and a 200 watt panel.
I'm pulling the group 24 deep cycle out of my old trailer and seeing how it holds up. I may end up with 2 lead acid or 1 larger AGM.
I don't see the need to spend a ton of money on a lithium. My old trailer has been fine for 6 years with that set up.

huachuca

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

tarboro nc
First Name
Al
Last Name
Killebrew
Member #

My setup is two GC2 six volt golf cart batteries wired in series and we can easily go a three day weekend running the water pump (showers daily for both of us), interior lights (all LED bulbs) and our Maxx fan (eight hrs/night). They are not top of the line but rather Sam’s Club low end at around $90/each. I got five years out of my first set which were just replaced this week.

Reactions: Mrprez

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I live full time in my 32’ travel trailer... I run 2 Walmart group 29 Deepcycle Marine Batteries in series. They are cheap and reliable.. btw, the batteries are about 5 years old and I still can go 2 days between charges running lights, fridge, and other 12 volt accessories... I have however converted lights to LEDs.

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
I am picking up an Intech Pursue tomorrow. The current owner said the battery is getting tired. I happen to have a brand new Odyssey Extreme sitting in my garage thanks to Rutledge Wood. I think I am going to throw that in the trailer. I don't plan on running a lot but I may consider running a second AGM at some point. Is it possible to run that Odyssey with a deep cycle or should I just get another regular duty AGM?

Reactions: Flipper

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

A regular deep cycle AGM kept in trailer, and not engine bay, should last you 7 years in trailer np, if you don't discharge it often below 50 %.
I also keep my AGM during non - camping season hooked up to a charger/maintainer in the garage...

Reactions: Road

Rattler

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Bay City, MI
A regular deep cycle AGM kept in trailer, and not engine bay, should last you 7 years in trailer np, if you don't discharge it often below 50 %.
I also keep my AGM during non - camping season hooked up to a charger/maintainer in the garage...
I had a Sears Diehard Platinum (rebranded Odyssey) in my Tacoma for 8 years. Great battery. I'm in Michigan so I take batteries out of about everything in teh Winter.

Sparksalot

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer III

Bastrop County, TX, USA
First Name
Rex
Last Name
Drake
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5GH
Service Branch
Air Force
I have a ginormous 35Ah gelcell in my teardrop. It will go a long time, days, to run a few led lights, the fantastic fan, and a ham radio.

I recharge on the go with tow rig power, or with shore power At home. I do have an inexpensive solar charge controller in it, and sometimes plug in an oooollllddddd low wattage panel.

Reactions: grubworm

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I am picking up an Intech Pursue tomorrow. The current owner said the battery is getting tired. I happen to have a brand new Odyssey Extreme sitting in my garage thanks to Rutledge Wood. I think I am going to throw that in the trailer. I don't plan on running a lot but I may consider running a second AGM at some point. Is it possible to run that Odyssey with a deep cycle or should I just get another regular duty AGM?
Just make sure it’s a deep cycle or dual purpose, it will damage a start battery. I have had good luck with the Duracell, AGMs made by East Penn. Run 2 group 31s

Mrprez

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wildwood, FL, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Kennedy
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ4WMZ
Ditto the comments on the golf cart batteries. We could run just about everything we wanted in our 25’ Airstream trailer. We used a 150 watt suitcase style solar panel and a rooftop mounted 100w solar panel. On most days were were fully charged by 11 am and I can’t think of a time we went below 72%. You do need a good charge controller and battery monitor.