Launch Member

Enthusiast I

NorCal
First Name
Derek
Last Name
D
Member #

I’ve decided that I want an Off Grid Expedition 2.0 trailer; but my 2.5 daily drive outback is not worthy.

All things considered equal, what would you choose for an overland/tow vehicle?

2006 4Runner sport, 150k, $15k

2000 Land Cruiser, 250k, $13k

2008 GX470, 169k, $14k

Reactions: Werlyb23

BKD Dave

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Palm Desert, CA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Border
Member #

It’s really about what you attend to do.
Since your talking about a trailer, it sounds like your not going to get that crazy.
I’d go big truck, a diesel for sure. Try to find a 7.3, a million mile engine.
Good luck and enjoy

Reactions: snowdog650

Retired

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Discovery Bay, CA.
First Name
CJ
Last Name
H.
Member #

All the rigs you are looking at have high mileage. A trailer will add more load on the engine. You are going to be rebuilding soon if they don't fail while on the road or trail. Buy new and make the payments, you'll be better off. You will just be making repairs to the used rig and won't have time on the trail. IMHO.

Reactions: snowdog650

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
My pick - 2008 GX470, 169k, $14k - it's newer of your choices, has a max towing capacity of 6500lbs, while the trailer has a max GVW of 3500lbs. So it looks like you've got some cushion. I'm not a numbers guy, but looks good on paper.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
Your trailer will be over 2000 pounds and your starting with a high mileage rig. As @Teardrop Dude mentioned, that's a bit of strain on a somewhat worn driveline.

Assuming the Cruiser and 470 have the V-8, those would be the better tow rigs but way more expensive to rebuild. Between those the 470 has lower mileage.
If you don't know the history on the vehicles your buying, assume the worse. My Cruiser has 250k on it. Most of my driveline is now new. The rest will be new or rebuilt by next spring. If you plan to stay close enough to be towed home, buy what you like. You don't want a tow bill off of a remote spot because your 125k transmission burned out due to towing. This means be careful and think about some pricy maintenance. The life span on most of the parts there is 100k if its street driven.

My 2019 Tacoma pulls my 2100 pound trailer very well but I prefer my Cruiser due to the fact the Cruiser is heavier and if anything happened on the trailer end, it would control the weight better.
Remember most manufactures give a good GVW rating for towing but, they either don't install an external trans cooler or they install an inferior one. You want to make sure you have a good trans cooler if one didn't come from the factory especially if you have a high mileage trans.