What would be your first MOD to a new Toyota Tacoma?

• HTML tutorial

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Hello OB Community

I'm picking up my new 2018 Toyota Tacoma 4X4 Off Road tomorrow, not completely stock build and has about $4K in accessories.

What would be your MOD recommendations out of the gate?

Thanks in advance for your help! Toyota.4.jpeg Toytoa.2.jpeg Toyota.4.jpeg Toytoa.2.jpeg Toyota.1.jpeg

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Take it out somewhere, start using it how you plan on using it. Toyotas are very capable bone stock. If you're wanting to do heavier, rougher offroading, you could do tires, but even that isn't necessary to try it out. Just get out there, start learning and enjoying the truck, and you'll answer your own question better than anybody else can answer it for you.

Also, congrats on the new ride!

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

1st should be a pair of White Knuckle Offroad rock sliders to replace those side steps. While they look good and are functional, they will not withstand the weight of the truck coming down on them and can even fold into the body causing damage.

https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/toyota-tacoma-1995-2018-rock-sliders/

Once you have the rocker panels protected you should consider some steel skid plates to protect your under carriage. A proper set of skid plates will keep you moving forward on the trail while preventing damage to your radiator, drive train and gas tank.

A set of good all terrain tires would also be a good idea.

Congratulations on your new truck! Good Luck!

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Take it out somewhere, start using it how you plan on using it. Toyotas are very capable bone stock. If you're wanting to do heavier, rougher offroading, you could do tires, but even that isn't necessary to try it out. Just get out there, start learning and enjoying the truck, and you'll answer your own question better than anybody else can answer it for you.

You’re right about the durability of a stock Toyota. This will be my 3rd Toyota truck. Thanks for the input and I know as I get out there more, I’ll get a feel for what will work for me!

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

1st should be a pair of White Knuckle Offroad rock sliders to replace those side steps. While they look good and are functional, they will not withstand the weight of the truck coming down on them and can even fold into the body causing damage.

https://white-knuckleoffroad.com/product/toyota-tacoma-1995-2018-rock-sliders/

Once you have the rocker panels protected you should consider some steel skid plates to protect your under carriage. A proper set of skid plates will keep you moving forward on the trail while preventing damage to your radiator, drive train and gas tank.

A set of good all terrain tires would also be a good idea.

Congratulations on your new truck! Good Luck!
Thanks for the input and link for the rock sliders. Removing the steps was definitely on the list!

Reactions: BCBrian

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Without a doubt, tires would be first. Stock tires are meant for the street, nothing else. Would slap a set of BFG K02 tires on it immediately.
My truck came with Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure tires (P265/70R16)

I'll more than likely give these a go for a bit, see how they hold up and go from there. I'd rather put money into other accessories I don't have (like a hardtop shell), rock sliders and front bumper with a winch.

smritte

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Ontario California
First Name
Scott
Last Name
SMR
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KO6BI
First and most important mod's.
1. map
2. something to sleep in
3. something to eat and drink for the duration
4. first aid kit

I saw a bumper that Warn Winch just put out. It look's smaller than the other one (dont remember name) that replaces the whole front of the truck. Several of my friends have the white knuckle sliders. Their made well.
Down the road if you look into suspension, Total Chaos make's real high quality stuff, mild to wild. Their local to me and I have been keeping tabs on their products. I know several people who run them. Icon is suppose to be good too.
My son has a 2018 Four Runner and we have been looking into things for his.

Very nice truck by the way. You will enjoy it.

Scott

Last edited:
Reactions: JandAOffRoad

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

First and most important mod's.
1. map
2. something to sleep in
3. something to eat and drink for the duration
4. first aid kit

I saw a bumper that Warn Winch just put out. It look's smaller than the other one (dont remember name) that replaces the whole front of the truck. Several of my friends have the white knuckle sliders. Their made well.
Down the road if you look into suspension, Total Chaos make's real high quality stuff, mild to wild. Their local to me and I have been keeping tabs on their products. I know several people who run them. Icon is suppose to be good too.
My son has a 2018 Four Runner and we have been looking into things for his.

Very nice truck by the way. You will enjoy it.

Scott
Thanks for the reply Scott!

Numbers 1-4 [emoji818]️

Yesterday I replaced my stock tires. I was going to wait and just run the ones they came with for a bit and spend the money on something else, but many of the forums I read were supporting getting good quality OR tires. So I did it.

BFG KO2 265/75R16

Jeff Petsche
West Region/Orange County
2018 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
OB #10895
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
Thanks for the reply Scott!

Numbers 1-4 [emoji818]️

Yesterday I replaced my stock tires. I was going to wait and just run the ones they came with for a bit and spend the money on something else, but many of the forums I read were supporting getting good quality OR tires. So I did it.

BFG KO2 265/75R16

Jeff Petsche
West Region/Orange County
2018 Tacoma TRD 4X4 Off Road
OB #10895
Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk
Congrats on your first mod - real off road tires... I really hate that Toyota does not equip their vehicles with proper tires - they love to put a badge on their vehicles that say Off Road but they look so blah with out real tires to back up the sticker.
Now you can explore more of the vehicle's potential. A free mod - take a grinder to the side steps and just cut off the step. Use what you have until it is time to upgrade. Heck, you might never even hit, scratch, or dent those things so why waste money on something that isn't damaged. A smart driver in a stock vehicle can go farther than a dumb driver in a modded out vehicle.

TRED LYT

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Laguna Beach, CA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Sherman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6ZPJ

I completely agree with f250ben. Bring a pad and pen to make you list of what you wish you had for that particular trip. Buy it, install it, use it. Rinse and repeat!

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

Right on. If tires are taken care of, my next mod would be to ditch the step side sliders. They just get hung up on rocks. Next would be real rock sliders or recovery gear.
So I thought I could hold off, NOT.

Just couldn't resist getting REAL OR tires, so I took your advise and purchased BFG KO2 265/75R16. Haven't got them dirty just yet, but I'm loving the look and they ride great on the road. New Tires.2.jpeg Tires4.jpeg

Last edited:

David C Gibbs

Rank VI

Member III

Boise, Idaho
First Name
David
Last Name
Gibbs
Member #

So, last night the Mrs. & I finalized the paperwork and finances - and have purchased a New 2018 Tacoma Double Cab, Short Bed, RTD Offroad. First mod was to order Electric Sliders, NOT steps, and Window Tinting. The dealer is doing all the Prep work today, and we'll take Delivery in the morning. The Mrs. is very happy to hand me down the 88 62 Series LC. We say goodbye to our 06/07 Subaru Forester... DG

Day 2, We picked up the new Tacoma yesterday morning, immediately ran it out to get a little dirty, dusty. Today the Mrs., did the parking garage "Look/feel/ forward park, backup park, turning radius test. Shot a couples photos to document the under 70 Miles.
It's weird, the LandCruiser is parked where the Forester has parked for years, and the Tacoma is now where the LandCruiser has parked since I built the Carport. To make it fit, I am going to have to build new Storage for the Lawn & Garden equipment and stuff, and relocate the Camping closet, so that Tacoma and get all the way in. One of my fall projects is going to convert the "Carport" into a real "Garage."

Last edited: