What was the worst thing you purchased for your rig? Why?

• HTML tutorial

Boort

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Colorado
Member #

Good morning OB,

I'm calling out to find what was the worst buying decision you ever made for your rig. I've read lots of posts and reviews on upgrades, dew-dads and things that we all add to our rigs. I'd like to know what was the item that you bought thinking that it would improve your rig or experience on the trail but just did not live up to your expectations. Maybe it broke the first time out, or just gets left in the garage when you head out cause it's not worth the bother.

I can give lots of examples from my other endeavors usually they fall into the category where I ignored the the advice to "buy once; cry once".
  • Contractor's table saw that was very cumbersome to get accurately setup for a cut... replaced with a Delta Unisaw.
  • eBay / Harbor Freight wood lathe that was far shaky to turn anything larger than a pen but used some one off spindle thread so I could not adapt a pen mandrel to fit it. Had to have a machinist buddy make a custom spindle adapter just to use it.
  • A series of 3 Manfrotto tripods each more expensive than the last and all too damn fiddly to get setup and locked down. The most expensive of which broke after only a few uses and was difficult to get a replacement part for. Replaced with a RRS carbon-fiber tripod that while expensive is a cinch to use and built for more abuse that I'm likely to give it.
  • A few items I grabbed off of kick-starter (or amazon, or Craigslist, ...) that I thought "that will be useful" that all just sit on the shelf
I'm new to idea of upgrading to outfit and explore so not sure I have any regrets yet. So looking for your experience on what to avoid...

Boort

Reactions: JoshMTN4R

Ben Cleveland

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Nashville, TN, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
Cleveland
Member #

Worst things I’ve purchased:

“Professional” installation of my old Tacoma’s lift. I got impatient and paid a random shop I didn’t know anything about to install it. They did a bad job. I should have done my homework and chosen a vetted, reliable shop, or waited and done it myself.

Literally every cheap vehicle accessory I’ve ever purchased from Walmart or autozone etc. they all break. Better to either do without, or pay good money for a quality product that does the same thing. I’m talking about organizer inserts, lights, weird accessories for adding plugs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JoshMTN4R and Boort

MoreGone

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Mesa, AZ
Member #

I got a cheap inverter. Works on the most basic of things but doesn't really do well with electronics like battery chargers or laptops.

Reactions: Boort

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
Hmmm, great question!

I think we all can say that we have at one point or another have experienced buyers remorse at least one time (or more), during the life of our rigs. The one that stands out the most for me was making the mistake early on of going with "P" rated tires instead of LT's! How did this happen you might be thinking? Well, it's simple... The focus of my tire purchase research was "Tread and Use" based, plus my tire guy convinced me that the added weight of the LT in the tire that I wanted (TOYO Open Country AT2's) would add extra weight and stress on my rig during my daily driving use. Knowing what I know now about load capacity and offroad tire durability, I would have insisted on the LT without question. Hey, live and learn... Just have to suck it up and upgrade to LT's on my next set purchase.

Chadlyb

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Bend, OR, USA
Member #

Center console organizer for my 2011 Toyota Tacoma on Amazon. Put it together and it wouldn't fit any way you tried it. Thought it was my truck. Tried it in my girlfriend's 2013 Tacoma and the same thing. Junk. Sent it and a license plate spring loaded plate for going over winch line back.

Reactions: Obi-Juan

JoshMTN4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Monroe, WA
First Name
Joshua
Last Name
Martin
Member #

Hmmm, great question!

I think we all can say that we have at one point or another have experienced buyers remorse at least one time (or more), during the life of our rigs. The one that stands out the most for me was making the mistake early on of going with "P" rated tires instead of LT's! How did this happen you might be thinking? Well, it's simple... The focus of my tire purchase research was "Tread and Use" based, plus my tire guy convinced me that the added weight of the LT in the tire that I wanted (TOYO Open Country AT2's) would add extra weight and stress on my rig during my daily driving use. Knowing what I know now about load capacity and offroad tire durability, I would have insisted on the LT without question. Hey, live and learn... Just have to suck it up and upgrade to LT's on my next set purchase.
Thanks for sharing this! - I was looking at the P rated tires, but I'm adding some weight to my rig soon so will most definitely roll the LT's. Cheers.

I don't really have much to share on the new 4Runner... Yet... - trying to do as much research I can on the upgrades and products I put on the vehicle. But, to add something to the dicussion...

One of those bar dividers for my F-150 truck bed, the ratchet expandible ones that you think will be good for keeping stuff from slipping around in the bed during driving. I've used it maybe once or twice. Wasteful.

Reactions: Obi-Juan

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
hmmmmm.. With my current rig so far so good. I'm very Anal Retentive when it comes to research and spending money. However, I'm beginning to think I should have bought 255/85/16s instead of the 285/75/16s that I'm currently using. But I'm still not decided on that. I maybe should have taken the dive and bought a new HAM radio instead of my 50 dollar CB, but that's not a big deal as the CB works fine on the trail. Let's just face the facts. I'm a penny pinching cheapskate and at this stage of my life I just don't waste money on shiny things.. But, I'll spend a ton of money on gas and maintenance to keep on keep'n on.

britz

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Musselshell, Idaho
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6YTI
The Dirty Dog pet divider for my JKU. Installed it and literally watched my yellow lab nose, note:not chew, his muzzle through webbing almost instantly. I guess I'm happy it failed immediately instead of finding out in a rollover, crash, etc.

Inspiration overland

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Bourbonnais, IL, USA
Member #

Cheapo radio off of Amazon. It has Blue tooth but that is the only benefit. I will be replacing again after my punishment to myself is over...(one year with crap radio). Off road equipment wise, I've been doing this for a while so I have no regrets right now that I can remember...maybe the Whipple Supercharger on my 94 Suburban. It was terrible and made me have to use premium fuel...I don't miss $125 fillups

Horse Soldier

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Louisville Ky
First Name
B
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Exwife #2 she looked great in it. She said I loved the jeep more than her and gave me a choice of her or the jeep. I cried tears of joy when my divorce was final. Wife #3 can not drive anything that does not at least have a 4 inch lift and bfg km tires. I am so in love.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Cheep Chinese portable radio. now the back up to the back up.
Yakima rack and basket for JKU. It made so much noise I thought it was coming off.
2" cheep lift for JKU and JK. Stupid do it once and do it right.
Probably many more but I don't want to admit them.

Last edited:

Lindenwood

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

New Mexico
First Name
Jay
Last Name
M
Member #

I wouldnt have lifted so aggressively if I could do it over. Mostly, my front springs are way too stiff (the same kit now comes with 575lb springs instead of the 620s that were included when I bought it).

Granted, we are still talking less than 3" over stock. But, if I could do it over again, Id have probably gone with maybe a 1" suspension lift, a 1" body lift, and maybe some 34s to get largely the same effective clearance as I have now.

Last edited:

chuckoverland

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler II

Spokane, WA
Member #

Center console organizer for my 2011 Toyota Tacoma on Amazon. Put it together and it wouldn't fit any way you tried it. Thought it was my truck. Tried it in my girlfriend's 2013 Tacoma and the same thing. Junk. Sent it and a license plate spring loaded plate for going over winch line back.
You put it together inside the console.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
hi lift jack
have had one for 20 years and only used it once to pull a fence post .
I had to laugh at myself as I installed my hi-lift on my new roof rack! I’ve had it forever, everybody’s “gotta have one”, right? Even if I found a situation to use it, I can’t. I don’t have any place on my rig I can lift with it. I guess if my winch fails I can use the hi-lift, 48” at a time.

Reactions: Boort and Chadlyb

Pick Teej

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Smethport, Pennsylvania
Member #

Honestly, Ive been concerned about some of the purchases I've made, i.e. cheap chinese led lights, off brand fridge, used RTT... all have been amazing purchases. I dont know if i have low expectations or what but everything has met my needs and I couldn't be happier. the purchase of the RTT made us go out and explore more because the deal was if i spend this much on a tent we have to use it or lose it.

my biggest remorse is buying a lot of stuff on credit.... it would be better to wait but i want it all NOW!

Reactions: Boort

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
Honestly, Ive been concerned about some of the purchases I've made, i.e. cheap chinese led lights, off brand fridge, used RTT... all have been amazing purchases.
I go used whenever possible, assuming the price is right. With the help of forums like this it’s pretty easy to find out if the off brand stuff is worth it or not. Most of the stuff I’ve looked at has been.

Reactions: Pick Teej