What vehicle should I buy to begin this adventure?

• HTML tutorial

Phaseshift

Rank I

Contributor III

Well guys I have $10,000 for a down payment, this will be my first overland vehicle and will also be my daily driver. I just can't seem to decide and would like to know your thoughts. I'm a complete newbie in all of this so I would appreciate the help.

Reactions: HappyOurOverlanding

Louisiana Overland

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Ventress, Louisiana
Member #

For me it came down to the toyota 4runner trd off road premium. Nimble. Sure footed. Full featured 4wd. Plenty of options for accesories. My second choice would have been a tacoma offroad. The landcruser was just too much dough and honestly its too wide for some of the trails I have been on. Im not a jeep guy so i didnt consider that. I like the 90s era landcrusers but for a daily driver i felt i needed something more reliable than i might get with a near 30 year old truck.

Thats my two cents.

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

It's really tough to make a recommendation with out more information.

1. How many passengers? Kids?
2. What are you interested in? Camping? Rock crawling? Cross country adventures?
3. What other outdoor hobbies do you have? Boating? Climbing? Cycling? Fishing? Hiking? Kayaking? Skiing?
4. What brands are you loyal too (if any)?
5. Do you want to sleep in the vehicle?
6. New or used?
7. Do you plan on modifying it or keeping it stock and just outfitting it?

That is a large down payment that can definitely get you into a great rig. All this said, I absolutely love my Xterra. It is very capable on trails from mild to difficult with just suspension, armor and tires. While I miss having the storage room of a truck bed, It is great to be able to quickly set up my bed inside the vehicle and it is much more nimble and capable than a truck.

Looking forward to hearing your answers.....

Last edited:

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Personally with 10k cash I would buy a used rig and save myself the car payment aND dump that money into a vehicle fund account that would go to vehicle maintenance, upgrades and travel

Like bcbrian said need some more info about what you need outo of the vehicle

Last edited:

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I agree with @BCBrian and @Smileyshaun - a bit more info on future plans and how you're gonna use this vehicle as daily driver would help.
If I were looking and had 10k to use, I'd get a used vehicle and no down payment, as Smileyshaun suggested, and use the amount you would have had for monthly payments for upgrades, etc.

I bought a good used van once, with high clearance and a great engine for way under 10k and drove the piss out of it all over America for about eight years, hauling camping gear and photography stuff, and was able to live out of it for months at a time. Had over 500,000 miles when I retired it, more from looking ragged, though the engine was still going strong.

I've traveled and camped with everything from a VW bug to VW bus to a Chevy Carryall to a Dodge Club-cab pickup to a Volvo wagon and more, and have settled on full size extended body cargo vans as the all-around best choice for me and the way I like to wander.

Last tip would be to not rush into anything. . . take your time and research thoroughly on forums for different vehicles, see what folks like and dislike, go to some meets and see diff vehicles first-hand.

I was convinced I should get a Land Cruiser and was favoring both the 60's and 80' series, and because of import laws, more are coming of age and being imported. I wanted a right hand drive LC from Japan so bad I could taste it, and scoured the sale pages and forums like a madman. Almost dropped serious cash more than once.

In the end, common sense took over and I realized keeping what I have and spending cash on it made much more sense in so many different ways; space, fuel economy, parts, etc, and would offer me far more diversity and capability if using it as both daily and overland/tow vehicle.

I can't afford to have two vehicles and keep one just for camping. A van is what makes most sense for me, and if you poke around enough and check out different vehicles thoroughly, you'll end up with what makes the most sense for you too.

Last edited:

soonersfan

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Oklahoma City, OK
First Name
Phillip
Last Name
McIntosh
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG5LTZ
I love my Wrangler off road. I've yet to see another vehicle out there that I would choose over a Wrangler, strictly for its off road capability. Having said that, there are any number of vehicles out there that outperform the Wrangler on the road, in MPG, comfort, size, towing capacity, etc. Frankly, no one but you should decide what's best for you. If you want decent feedback to help you decide, you'll need to provide a lot more information.

Reactions: TerryD

Phaseshift

Rank I

Contributor III

It's really tough to make a recommendation with out more information.

1. How many passengers? Kids?
2. What are you interested in? Camping? Rock crawling? Cross country adventures?
3. What other outdoor hobbies do you have? Boating? Climbing? Cycling? Fishing? Hiking? Kayaking? Skiing?
4. What brands are you loyal too (if any)?
5. Do you want to sleep in the vehicle?
6. New or used?
7. Do you plan on modifying it or keeping it stock and just outfitting it?

That is a large down payment that can definitely get you into a great rig. All this said, I absolutely love my Xterra. It is very capable on trails from mild to difficult with just suspension, armor and tires. While I miss have the storage room of a truck bed, It is great to be able to quickly set up my bed inside the vehicle and it is much more nimble and capable than a truck.

Looking forward to hearing your answers.....
Sorry for this late reply everyone!

1. for now its my girlfriend and 1 + one dog. We will have kids in the future so it will be used for family trips as well.
2. Camping and cross country adventures will take priority and some rock crawling eventually but I don't think I will be doing much of it(once or twice a year, but then again I haven't done it yet so that might change)
3. I like hiking and I love shooting and some fishing.
4. Not loyal to any brand just want something that's reliable and easy to add parts to.
5. Sleeping in or on top of the vehicle preferred.
6. Used definitely
7. Modifying it for sure like new bumper, hitch, roof rack, lights, suspension etc.

Uses daily driver, used for adventures and zombie apocalypse lol.

Reactions: BCBrian

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Well make a list of vehicles you think might work out for you and go take him for test drives there's been a lot of vehicles that I thought that I would love on paper then as soon as I sat in the thing I absolutely hated it everybody's body type will dictate a different kind of vehicle that is comfortable for them

Reactions: OffroadTreks

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

Could that be any more of a loaded question that comes down to personal preferences and tastes?

" it is much more nimble and capable than a truck."

I liked everything you had to say, and then I LOL'd at this part.
I can run much tighter trails than most trucks, I rarely drag my tail like I did in my truck, the shorter wheelbase helps me get over obstacles easier than longer wheelbase vehicles and I can fit a twin size air mattress in the back!

Last edited:

Mogwai

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Member #

What are your driving habits? Are you good with driving a slug? Where does gas mileage fall on the list? Do you care about the luxuries? Is this a long term investment? Does the $10k have to pay the whole truck off?

For me on road manners where I'll spend 90% of my time trumped extreme off-road ability. I still wanted to be able to get up and over anything we come across, however we dont go venturing for the Rubicon (I'd rent and beat on a Jeep for that!). I also have a fam of 4 + fur baby, interior space and a third row (I know weird) we're on the list.

If you like the 4Runner consider the Lexus GX instead. I personally wouldn't go for anything smaller than that given your needs and the pup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app

OffroadTreks

Rank IV

Advocate II

Nomad
Member #

I can run much tighter trails than most trucks, I rarely drag my tail like I did in my truck, the shorter wheelbase helps me get over obstacles easier than longer wheelbase vehicles and I can fit a twin size air mattress in the back!
Problems I don't have. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

But I'm glad it's working for you. That's all that matters.

Poison Spider Mesa which is red (2nd and 4th photo's). I also ran Seven Mile Rim, Tip Toe Behind The Rocks, Bartlett Overlook and Porcupine Rim which are listed as blue trails. Even the blue trails had some pretty tough spots but I made it through everything in my DD with just a few skid and slider hits and a little minor damage to the stock rear bumper and plastic corners.
PS: I did those with my truck stock and way more, without dragging and getting hung up. Man, you should have run Top of the World and Hells Revenge. Who goes to Moab and doesn't run the famous trails? Did you run the whole length of Poison Spider all the way up to the Sand? I was looking for pictures.

Trail ratings, LOL, those you will learn are basically useless. Much better to know what kind of obstacles to expect.

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

Sorry for this late reply everyone!

1. for now its my girlfriend and 1 + one dog. We will have kids in the future so it will be used for family trips as well.
2. Camping and cross country adventures will take priority and some rock crawling eventually but I don't think I will be doing much of it(once or twice a year, but then again I haven't done it yet so that might change)
3. I like hiking and I love shooting and some fishing.
4. Not loyal to any brand just want something that's reliable and easy to add parts to.
5. Sleeping in or on top of the vehicle preferred.
6. Used definitely
7. Modifying it for sure like new bumper, hitch, roof rack, lights, suspension etc.
Reliability & Capability = Toyota

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Another thing to consider doing is have two vehicles have your daily driver little car that gets fantastic gas mileage tires brakes maintenance or all super cheap on them and then have a vehicle that's more your backup secondary Adventure vehicle daily driving on all terrain or Mud terrain tires wears them out pretty quick and if you go out for an adventure and break it and it's your only vehicle how do you get to work the next day all things to consider

BCBrian

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Boulder Creek, CA
Member #

I did those with my truck stock and way more, without dragging and getting hung up. Man, you should have run Top of the World and Hells Revenge. Who goes to Moab and doesn't run the famous trails? Did you run the whole length of Poison Spider all the way up to the Sand? I was looking for pictures.

Trail ratings, LOL, those you will learn are basically useless. Much better to know what kind of obstacles to expect.
Full size rigs work well in Moab because it is so wide open and has no tree's. Out here in CA, many trails wind through the forest and are so tight that full size rigs are not able to get through. Many of them are marked 'Short Wheelbase ONLY'.

Last year was my 1st trip to Moab and I did run the entire length of Poison Spider. I will get to the trails you mentioned in the future. I know what you mean about trail ratings..... the trails change with every winter so they are not very reliable. Trails that were blue last year are red this year and you really don't know until you get out there!

I have several friends who have been to the yearly gone (Gathering Of Nissan Enthusiasts) event for the past 5 years and I work with them to determine my trails for the week. My choices are based on lots of criteria.... who I am wheeling with, difficulty and terrain, the scenery, distance to the trail head etc. This year I am running entirely different trails than last year to see different area's.

After rolling several times into a ravine and walking away a few years ago..... I just like to get out in the wilderness. I also pick my trails more carefully rather than challenging myself on unfamiliar terrain.

Phaseshift

Rank I

Contributor III

What are your driving habits? Are you good with driving a slug? Where does gas mileage fall on the list? Do you care about the luxuries? Is this a long term investment? Does the $10k have to pay the whole truck off?

For me on road manners where I'll spend 90% of my time trumped extreme off-road ability. I still wanted to be able to get up and over anything we come across, however we dont go venturing for the Rubicon (I'd rent and beat on a Jeep for that!). I also have a fam of 4 + fur baby, interior space and a third row (I know weird) we're on the list.

If you like the 4Runner consider the Lexus GX instead. I personally wouldn't go for anything smaller than that given your needs and the pup.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using OB Talk mobile app
I’m in the same position as you, I’ll most likely be a weekend warrior and maybe some 3+ stretches every year or so. I narrowed it down to 4Runner or Tacoma, what years would you guys recommend and models?

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
As for a specific vehicle, I have no direct recommendations. Here is my line of thought though:

I had a nice Cherokee several years ago. It had a mild lift, regeared slightly and it worked well off-road. I loved that thing. However, it drove like a lifted Jeep. It bobbed and weaved on the highway and it was unsteady cornering. But it was nimble and capable off-road and after driving a crew cab 3/4t pickup for several years, I began wanting something similar to my old Cherokee.

I knew I wanted something with IFS because it handles better on road where it spends 90% of its time. I wanted rear leaf springs because I personally like them better in the rear and a solid rear axle. I also wanted it to be a SUV since I have three kids and a dog to haul around with us.

After that I chose a few models that fit my wants and began driving them. I weighed price, parts availability, and I finally decided on the one that I felt fit my budget and list of wants best.

I hope this helps you begin your shopping! Good luck!

Last edited:
Reactions: Road