Jonathon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Marlow, OK, USA
First Name
Jonathon
Last Name
Magnus
So lets start with vehicle. I have 2006 Jeep wrangler unlimited with just a bimini top.
I dont have a HAM license however am not unwilling to get one.
I am on a budget and trying to figure out a radio. What would you recommend?

freak4life

Local Expert

Contributor II

Cañon City, Colorado, USA
First Name
rich
Last Name
anderssohn
So lets start with vehicle. I have 2006 Jeep wrangler unlimited with just a bimini top.
I dont have a HAM license however am not unwilling to get one.
I am on a budget and trying to figure out a radio. What would you recommend?
Hello Jonathon, I am, in no way an expert, in my experience there are a lot of groups the use GMRS. Your best option is if you will be going with a group find out what they use. Otherwise it will be hit and miss. I went this route (GMRS).
Blessings

Jonathon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Marlow, OK, USA
First Name
Jonathon
Last Name
Magnus
Thank you. We have a trip planned for a day trip with a group. But in the lomg run we are plan ing to do 1 year of overlanding around the US soon as we get a pickup. For now the radio will be in my jeep amd will need to work witb handhelds so gf cam have a handheld in her Jeep grand cherokee.

RedRob

Rank V

Traveler III

Sonora, CA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Irwin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6VUL
Service Branch
USMC
Ham has such an upside, and I feel like more and more people use it. I have an eight watt BaoFeng attached to an external antenna that was pretty inexpensive and works quite well.

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Ham radio is far more capable than anything else, however based on this statement below you want GMRS/FRS.
For the below to work with ham radio you both would need to test and get licensed, with GMRS a single license covers your family.
Mobile GMRS radios can have up to 50 watts and they work with handheld GMRS or FRS radios. You might be able to get by with two handhelds but understand that operating from inside a metal container (Grand Cherokee) will limit how well the radio works.

For now the radio will be in my jeep amd will need to work witb handhelds so gf cam have a handheld in her Jeep grand cherokee.

Reactions: Jonathon

Jonathon

Rank II

Enthusiast I

Marlow, OK, USA
First Name
Jonathon
Last Name
Magnus
Ham radio is far more capable than anything else, however based on this statement below you want GMRS/FRS.
For the below to work with ham radio you both would need to test and get licensed, with GMRS a single license covers your family.
Mobile GMRS radios can have up to 50 watts and they work with handheld GMRS or FRS radios. You might be able to get by with two handhelds but understand that operating from inside a metal container (Grand Cherokee) will limit how well the radio works.

For now the radio will be in my jeep amd will need to work witb handhelds so gf cam have a handheld in her Jeep grand cherokee.
Long term we both plan to get Ham radio licenses. However would it hurt to have the GMRS license?