Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Atlanta, Georgia
First Name
Terr
Last Name
Crump
Member #

I am currently looking at my build on my Subaru and one of the early things on my list is a full size spare, which leads to external carrier for said spare. I hate to think of the amount of space just being left unused inside the vehicle as I want to put in/build a storage solution further down my list.

So my question to all you overlanders who moved your spare from inside to outside, what did you use that space for?

Thanks all!

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I've thought about the same thing. I have a Tacoma so I have a full size spare, but it's mounted under the bed like most trucks. So I'd you're out on the trail in some messy stuff, you don't want to have to get down on your knees and start cranking the spare down and have to drag it out of the muck to mount it. Plus if your bed is full of your gear, then you gotta put the flat back up under the bed too. So many people like to reroute to a rear swingout or similar.
As for ideas for reusing the spare tire space, I thought a lot about it and the usage would be best suited for something that you don't need access to easily or often, and something that is potentially applicable whether you're offroading, camping with family, or daily driving. For that reason, the best use is probably additional fuel storage. I know there are a couple places that will add a secondary fuel tank to a Tacoma.
However, I thought about what I always bring overlanding but would be great to be able to hide it...water storage. I also like that, just like a fuel tank, the water would be down at a level that distributes the extra weight evenly between the rear wheels, rather than a large jug sloshing around in the bed.
Those are my ideas so far at least. Looking forward to seeing other people's.

Reactions: RyanC and iLuddite

NotGumby

Local Expert Germany
Investor

Influencer II

Frankfurt, Germany
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Vinnie
Member #

Service Branch
Army Veteran 11B 54E
If you’re really going remote or long, then I agree with Adam - fuel or water. If you don’t really, really need the extra fluid storage, spares and tools that only come out in an emergency. You typically have time to dig them out then.

Reactions: geekyadam

Wawa Skittletits

Local Expert East Region USA
Staff member
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Wilkes-Barre, PA, USA
First Name
Drew
Last Name
Hawley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRBZ674
Service Branch
USN veteran
There’s definitely a ton of usable space once you remove all of the foam pieces. It’s an old picture but you can see that I’ve put my custom jack, a high lift base designed to be used with that jack, more tools than I need, recovery gear, led flares, blanket, large towel, and some survival gear. That picture was taken the first time I loaded it up so it’s changed a little over time but you get the idea.

8639CF68-2EBF-4A3E-9F0D-096C7CE7FFCD.jpeg 4E456F7B-FD31-4EA9-8BC9-270A05D9A0CD.jpeg

My matching spare lives on the roof which isn’t all that bad. When I go off road, camping, or whatever that high lift base has a custom mount to the basket and fuel/water has a home up there as well.

Scarab

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Hastings - England
First Name
Alex
Last Name
Barrett
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
M6ZZS
I've seen some clever setups with small 12v compressors in the spare space which I think is quite a good use for it. Water is also quite a good call as it can be insulated easily and that's quite a big space even if it's just for a half size.

geekyadam

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Mead, CO, USA
First Name
Adam
Last Name
Wright
Member #

I've seen some clever setups with small 12v compressors in the spare space which I think is quite a good use for it. Water is also quite a good call as it can be insulated easily and that's quite a big space even if it's just for a half size.
Ohh, I like the idea of putting your compressor down there, as it's something you rarely need access to [assuming you have air hose long enough to reach each tire or external air hose hookups to accomplish that]. I do know that a few people sneak their compressor inside the bed storage cubby things. There's pros and cons to both ideas I guess.

Reactions: Rangervinny

Rocky

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Loveland, Colorado
Member #

There’s definitely a ton of usable space once you remove all of the foam pieces. It’s an old picture but you can see that I’ve put my custom jack, a high lift base designed to be used with that jack, more tools than I need, recovery gear, led flares, blanket, large towel, and some survival gear. That picture was taken the first time I loaded it up so it’s changed a little over time but you get the idea.

View attachment 37105 View attachment 37106

My matching spare lives on the roof which isn’t all that bad. When I go off road, camping, or whatever that high lift base has a custom mount to the basket and fuel/water has a home up there as well.
Nice
This gives me some ideas for our Forester

Thanks

Reactions: Wawa Skittletits

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I don't remember who makes it, but there is a silicone/rubber bladder that fits nice in the spair tire tub on rigs like a Subi. Looked like it would be a great water storage system! Benz.

Reactions: iLuddite

iLuddite

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Atlanta, Georgia
First Name
Terr
Last Name
Crump
Member #

Hi, I am iLuddite and I am a research junkie...

I looked at the water bladder idea. My concern with filling all that space up can be heavy and overkill since I solo camp. Putting a Water Brick or something may still be a good idea and reasonable hit on weight.

The compressor idea that was mentioned before pointed me to this page. https://offroadpassport.com/forum/showthread.php?t=427. I am a 'little' concerned about putting the batteries inside the cabin but it is a very clean setup.

DuncNasty08

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Visalia, CA
Member #

kinda old thread but figured i would comment anyways. there is A TON of talk about what to do with the spare tire space on our tacomas. alot of people suggest water/fuel. a big thing you have to consider about a bunch of water/fuel is the weight. not many people think about that when planning a storage system. of course it all depends on how much you are wanting/able to carry. just my 2 cents..

adventure_is_necessary

Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Kansas

Traveler III

Bonner Springs, Kansas, United States
First Name
Lucas
Last Name
Antes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0ZXA
I use mine for extra storage to keep my rig organized as it's daily driven. I was lucky in that the spare wheel bay was designed for a fullsize spare so my spare did live there for some time. I have mine up on the roof rack now and it allowed me to fill that space with a trolly jack, an empty small gas can, a BOB, a blanket, and a small piece of foam that I lay on if I need to get under my rig. I have considered dynomatting that space, as well as the rest of the rear to help with the exhaust noise. I might rig up my compressor in there with a deadman switch and fittings. My only complaint with using it for storage is if you actually need what is in there when the back end is fully loaded. Aside from the trolly jack, everything else in there is purely for emergency only, so I won't have to get into that space regularly.

Reactions: DuncNasty08