Launch Member

Advocate II

Waxahachie, TX, USA
First Name
William
Last Name
Hillier
Member #

So I've been running Nitto Trail Grapplers for roughly 45K miles. Ive taken them to the desert all over Big Bend (rocks, dirt, cactus thorns), North and East Texas (Rock, dirt, mud, more rock) and Sedona, AZ (slick rock and dirt).
Both on and off the pavement they have been fantastic. I got the E rated tires, so there is more plywall and it's stiffer. I can air down to 16psi to pretty much crawl over everything.
I've noticed a bit of chunking recently, due to my trying some tougher trails with rock and shale. When new, they were as quiet as my stock street tires, now after 45k miles they are noisier on the pavement. My understanding is that most M/T's are like that.
So, I'll be either running these again when they wear out or try the new Nitto Ridge Grapplers. I like the aggressiveness of the Trail Grapplers though.xqnvupfrqs6g16fch8oe.jpg

Vyscera

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chico, CA, USA
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Smith
Member #

I started with BFG A/Ts, then up to 35" Pro Comp Xtreme terrains which are great on soft terrain. Now I'm running 37" Super swamper M-16s. I had no complaints, but a Chicago pothole just caused a 4 yr old tire (20k mile) to bulge/warp. Not sure if I'll get another set.

squishware

Rank III

Advocate II

Redwood City, CA, USA
First Name
batman
Last Name
jones
I have been running Toyo Open Country A/T II in P265/75 R16 on my F150 for about a year in SoCal. They are a little skippy in high G force turns and terrible on wet roads but they sure grip offroad and wear like iron.

Bluefox

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Chino Hills
Member #

On my first rig (ZJ grand Cherokee) I started out on bfg all terrains and loved them...Then I upgraded to Cooper STTs and oh man did I get into trouble in those......They were amazing both on and even more so off road. The stt was awesome in the snow and ice.
Now on my FJ cruiser Im back at were I started.....With some BFG all terrains. Thinking of the new stt pros from Cooper or the new ridge grapplers from nitro.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using OB Talk mobile app

E.J.

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Sacramento, CA
First Name
EJ
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6WPP
I'm still on my BFG KO's and can't seem to wear them out! They were on the FJ when I bought it and they are about three years old with about 30k on them so far. Mostly road but average about 3-4 off road trips a year. I have noticed some of the lugs near the outer edge tore away during a real difficult trail this summer. Have a few nicks on the side walls from the same trip but they are holding up really well. I don't care too much for the look of them and would prefer the KO2's or a more aggressive looking tire but can't justify getting rid of them early. :smirk:

Zargon

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

I run Cooper AT3's on my rover, they have held up great so far! Been awesome on the sand and the snow, they have an insane amount of on road grip, more then the generic road tires that were on the truck when I bought them, they have some of the best posted braking distances (And from experience, I believe them). They don't harden up in the cold (I have brought them down to mid 20's F, (I know, not proper cold, but its the best I got)). They have sustained minimal trail damage, with only a small mark on the side wall, which my go-to tire shop dismissed as pretty much superficial (I trust that guy). Great tires, oh, and they look good on the rig.
(Edited for image, figuring out how to go straight from google photos)

Reactions: Pierre C

Anders0nic

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member
Supporter

Pathfinder I

Benicia, CA
First Name
Anderson
Last Name
Carlisle
Member #

I am running the factory 265/75/16 BFG AT's that came with the truck. In my lifespan, I have owned a fair amount of BFG AT's. They are a great tire for the weekend warrior. But don't be fooled by their M/S rating. They blow monkey chunks in the snow. Now. my favorite tire is the Goodyear Duratrac AT. Ahmazing in the snow! Treadwear lifespan is not so good on a daily though...

minnesotamatt

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Champlin, Hennepin County, Minnesota, United States
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Beglinger
Member #

I've got a 2016 JKUR that came stock with KM2 tires, overall decent although I wanted to step up to 35s. Did so with 35x12.5x17 KO2s (E rated) on stock wheels running 1.5" wheel spacers. They were very quiet and smooth but I found them quite stiff (hit road imperfections hard even when aired down) and they seemed to push the Jeep around...bad tracking on uneven roads, etc. I feel most of it was to blame because of their size and less so because they were KO2s. I lost faith in them when I spun the back end out turning left at a stop light...it had been lightly raining and I was taking it easy. Had them aired down to 28 PSI. Could have been too aired down (bigger footprint, less PSI), too much tire for the Jeep, or not enough weight in the rear end. All combined it led me down a rabbit hole of tire research and I ended up with a combo that I'm much happier with. I stepped down to 33" tires (well 285-70/r17)...Lighter, easier for Jeep to control, less expensive, and they provide more clearance between tire and fender. Went with Cooper ATPs (Discount Tire's version of the Cooper AT3) and 17" x 9" Black Rhino wheels that have a perfect 4.5" backspacing (no need for wheel spacers).

After much research the ATPs were a winner. Many glowing reviews from owners citing excellent performance in any situation. They're known for great on road performance (grippy, quiet, great handling) and also have great off-road traction as well. They are a relatively inexpensive tire, and because you can get them through Discount Tire, you've got 30 days to try them out and see if you like them or return them no questions asked. Also for a minimal fee DT offers a fix or replace warranty and DTs are located almost everywhere. These are E rated tires with strong side walls however they hit imperfections softer than the E rated KO2s did. Finally, they come with a good 55,000 mile warranty to boot.

I've had these tires on pavement in rain, snow, and in nasty wet gravel roads and they are super grippy. My experience is they have much better wet pavement traction than my 35" KO2s. Again, I cite that largely to them being 33s (or technically narrower at 285) rather than 35s (more PSI). As a DD handling is awesome and confidence inspiring.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Pierre C

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Québec, Canada
First Name
Pierre
Last Name
Cote
Member #

Service Branch
Canadian Army
During summer I use Cooper Discoverer AT/3 on original (32) size for now. When there due, I'll get 33, maybe 34 of the same. I drive around 45 000 km/years and I'm more than happy the way thay work on road and off road.

IMG_0097.JPG

Reactions: minnesotamatt

Terry Pickens

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Evansville, WY, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Pickens
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FTV
On my new Subaru I am going with Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15's, I have read some very nice things about this tire. Good on the street, dirt and snow/ince. Not so good on deep mud or deep snow, but with an Outback and 2" lift I am not going to be doing too much real serious stuff.

Inmused

Rank III
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Victoria, Australia
Member #

Falken Wildpeak A/T 175/70R16. These have been excellent around tyres both on and off road. No complaints. Around 40,000km and still have 60% tread depth. I drive a lot of clay and damp forest tracks.

Reactions: O.Dfj

wgmclain96

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Fayetteville, AR/Richmond, TX
Member #

On my new Subaru I am going with Yokohama Geolander A/T GO15's, I have read some very nice things about this tire. Good on the street, dirt and snow/ince. Not so good on deep mud or deep snow, but with an Outback and 2" lift I am not going to be doing too much real serious stuff.
After reading up on the article posted about these on ExPo, I'm pretty certain I'll get me a set of these for my next new set of tires. I just need to find them in C or E ply in my size range

Sent from my SM-G935V using OB Talk mobile app

Stepsride

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Palm Harbor FL
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Stepkoski
Member #

I have run my KM2 for about 30K miles. They have been great in mud, sand, highway driving. As long as the pavement is dry they are great. HOWEVER living in Florida rain is likely. They are not good at all in the rain . As they get older they went from really bad to worse. Noise is not bad in my opinion. You can hear them but it is a mud terrain.

I have also run the Cooper Stt Pro - I would say compared to the BFG KM2 I would say they do everything as well as the BFG but are superior in the rain. I cannot speak to how long they will last yet...

Last edited: