What tires do you like? (Merged Thread)

• HTML tutorial

maxx4wd

Rank 0

Traveler I

I really like the nitto terragrappler g2s - would love a bit more aggressive tread but my vehicle is a daily driven rig and I also use it to pull a fairly heavy camper so it has to maintain the AT status and the load range E - still want to try the KO2 if they offer them in my size with the high load rating but guessing that probably won't happen anytime soon.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

crit_pw

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Silt, Colorado
Member #

On a fullsize truck I am a huge fan of the Red Label General Grabbers. I ran them on 2 of my diesels and they were a great tire overall. Above average mud performance for the tread design and they would clean out fairly easily. Great performance in dirt, wet dirt, sand and gravel. Winter performance was about what I would expect for a tire of this style. Wasn't a blizzak by any means but performed better than any MT I have ever owned. I would still be running them on my current rig but General no longer makes this tire in the 37" size I now run. I previously ran them in a 35" E rated tire. The BFG KO2 is a solid performer all around as well. I haven't personally run the Yokohama Geolanders on a fullsize rig but when I worked in a dealership it was one of our top selling tires and when they did finally wear them out our customers wanted that same tire again. I did run the geolanders on a midsize SUV and they were great. A little mild on the lug design for heavier mud but otherwise a great tire. Did extremely well in winter conditions as well. I no longer run an AT tire on any of my trucks but will say so far the Toyo MT has been a great tire all around as well. Quiet as far as an MT goes on the pavement, great wear so far (26K and still over half tread). These tires regularly get aired down for off road and see conditions across 6 Rocky Mountain states in all seasons.

Convoy.Of.One

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Arcadia, CA
Member #

I run a set of 33" BFG KO2's on my JKU. Haven't had any problems with them yet though I'm approaching the end of their life. Been looking into a set of 35" KO2s or KM2s (if I can afford them). Always had BFG's but I've been reading into the Cooper Discoverer STT Pros and might make the switch.

Might be worth a look for you.

Sent from my XT1575 using OB Talk mobile app

LockedUp

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Texas
Member #

I highly recommend Cooper ST Maxx's! I have a set of LT255/80R17 with about 10K on them. I run them on a GX470 that weighs in at about 5k lbs loaded for a weekend.

On the highway, they are quiet, ride well, they balanced easily and track really well. They have better then stock wet traction and they are also wearing very well. I'm fully expecting to get at least 50k out of them of mixed highway/trail use.

On the trail they have been even better. I was a bit concerned that the side walls of the E rated tires wouldn't flex as would like given my moderate weight. After having them they are perfect. They flatten out just enough at about 25 psi to be great running dirt/fire roads and really take out the bumps without heating up. They've been through lots of miles of sharp/jagged rock without any issues (White Rim, Big Bend and various other NV/Utah trails). The big lugs grip really well and do a decent job not picking up rocks. I ran a really sandy trail in Utah (Barracks Road) and they were exceptional in the deep/lose sand.

My last pitch is to at consider a tall skinny tire for your overland rig. I did a lot of reading on the pros and cons and decided to pull the trigger (just search tall/skinny tires and all the forums have tons of info for and against). I went from a stock tire (29"x10.5") to what is essentially a 33"x10" vs the more common 33"x12.5". I picked up several inches of ground clearance, I don't rub anywhere with a 2.5-3" lift (no spacers) AND gained a full 1 MPG (went from averaging 15.5 MPG with stock height and tires to 16.5 MPG with lift and 33"s. Apparently 33"s are a more economical fit with the stock gearing (3.73). Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised. I was expecting to lose 2-3 MPG and instead I gained! In the overlanding world, range is a big factor and at least with this specific vehicle/tire setup I added nearly 75 miles of range when compared to going with other's MPG experiences going with 33x12.5s. May not be the best fit for everyone, but definitely worth considering depending on your vehicle and your driving style.

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
I'm running a set of 265/75/16 BFGoodrich KO2's. So far they haven't failed me in the mud, gravel, deep snow, or on dry pavement. They aren't stellar on wet pavement, but I wasn't really expecting them to be. Treadwear seems to be decent on them too, although I only have about 16,000 miles on mine so far.
My neighbor claims to get almost 50k out of his KO2s on his 2007 Tundra DC. I find that a ridiculous number but he is on his third set and swears by them. I am considering those or the MT Baja ATZ P3s. The KO2s are several pounds lighter which is important to me. The wet road issue you mention concerns me some since I too drive a heavy Tundra. I haven't finished this thread yet but so far no mentions of the MT Baja ATZ P3s???

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
OK, made it all the way through the thread...not a single mention of the Mickey Thompson Baja ATZ P3s. Other expedition and overland channels are all over this tire. Does anyone have experience with it? I need a truly do it all tire here in Colorado. We get a bit of severe cold, plenty of snow in the high country, wet roads are common many months in the mtns but the majority of the time it is hot and dry gravel, sand, and rocks. I am shoeing my DD for overlanding and prefer not to store a second set of tires. I also spend a fair amount of time in Utah. I need the perfect 305/70R18 please :tonguewink: Right now I "want" the Baja ATZ P3s but mass consensus (plus my neighbor with the same truck as me) say KO2s.

southernfire97

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Pascagoula, MS
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Conner
Member #

In general, I’ve had bad experiences with Mickey Thompson tires. One set I never could balance and another set just rode horrible in general. I didn’t have the model you are referring too however.

OB# 4392

Plisken

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Fort Collins CO, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Shields
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD0GZI
Service Branch
US Army
In general, I’ve had bad experiences with Mickey Thompson tires. One set I never could balance and another set just rode horrible in general. I didn’t have the model you are referring too however.

OB# 4392
Thanks for the feedback. Since so few seem to run it there must be a reason. The force is usually strong in me to buck a common trend but since we are talking about remoteness and reliability the KO2 will probably be the right choice.