What tire pressure are you running your e rated tires at for daily driving?

• HTML tutorial

Tray

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
I know they have a max pressure of 80 psi, but even 60 seems really high for south Texas, 1/2 ton truck that not pulling or really carrying a load around town. Maybe this has already been covered. Just bumped mine up to 45 from 40. A little background information would be helpful too for context.

Tire Pressure: 45 psi
Vehicle: ‘05 F-150 screw (typically unloaded daily driver)

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Go to the tire manufacturers website.
They will give you the acceptable range which will not void yer warranty.

Reactions: Tray

Tray

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
Go to the tire manufacturers website.
They will give you the acceptable range which will not void yer warranty.
Warranty is a non issue for me. Manufacturer recommends 40psi which is half of the max...I don’t know maybe that’s best.

Reactions: John~SWNM

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

Warranty is a non issue for me. Manufacturer recommends 40psi which is half of the max...I don’t know maybe that’s best.
I run 40psi on the street. It rides a bit harsh on certain bumps but is tolerable overall. I only run that high in order to maximize my MPG. If I didn't have to buy my own fuel I would run 32psi or so. I run 275/70/17 E rated KO2's on my 2006 4Runner which prob weighs less than your F150.

Tray

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
My experience with trucks in general is if they are unloaded they ride rough no matter what. They are designed to be driven with a load in the bed otherwise they will be oversprung and ride rough IMHO.
I agree, which is why I may be dropping back down to 40, just a little more forgiving.

Reactions: bmwguru

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I run mine between 40 and 50 on the road and drop them down to 15 on the trail. 40 is a pretty soft ride 50 is alot stiffer on the pavement when towing i run up to 65 anything lower and the truck sways under load

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
5,800lb Land Cruiser
LT 255/85R16 E Cooper ST Maxx tires
36psi

Nice comfortable ride on pavement with even tread wear. I don't tow more than an occasional small utility trailer.

Last edited:

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Brand new box stock (sniff) '17 F250 XL CC FX4

60/45. 245/75R17

Tray

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
5,800lb Land Cruiser
LT 255/85R16 E Cooper ST Maxx tires
36psi

Nice comfortable ride on pavement with even tread wear. I don't tow more than an occasional small utility trailer.
I’m running LT 275/70R18 E ST Maxx also, on both my work and personal rigs. Good tires, I did slice a sidewall in the Ozarks a few weeks ago, but it was only losing pressure when the weight of the rig was over the cut.

Reactions: KonzaLander

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have a stupid question - if you're supposed to check your tires when they are cold, i.e. 3 hours without being driven or at least less than a mile, then how do you know you're not over-inflating your tire when you're done with 4 wheel driving and getting back on the highway? So you might be putting air pressure back in at say 50psi, but because your tires are still hot, you're actually putting 75psi as an example. Does putting in air work that way in higher temp or when tires are not cold?

Reactions: bmwguru

Tray

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Tray
Last Name
Cooper
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WB5TRA
I have a stupid question - if you're supposed to check your tires when they are cold, i.e. 3 hours without being driven or at least less than a mile, then how do you know you're not over-inflating your tire when you're done with 4 wheel driving and getting back on the highway? So you might be putting air pressure back in at say 50psi, but because your tires are still hot, you're actually putting 75psi as an example. Does putting in air work that way in higher temp or when tires are not cold?
I do not know, great question.

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

The cold reference to tire pressures is in respect to ambient temp. That being said if your tires are already hot from trail use and you air them up to hit the highway the tires should in theory stay heated up and the pressure should not change too much...I think. I would imagine you would have a bigger difference if you aired up hot tires to a certain psi and then did not drive them and checked the pressure three hours later...once again I think.

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
The cold reference to tire pressures is in respect to ambient temp. That being said if your tires are already hot from trail use and you air them up to hit the highway the tires should in theory stay heated up and the pressure should not change too much...I think. I would imagine you would have a bigger difference if you aired up hot tires to a certain psi and then did not drive them and checked the pressure three hours later...once again I think.
So I guess if you took a mental note of what they were right before you air'd down, then air up to about that same pressure afterwards, being consistent, then I would also think we'd be ok. Thanks guys just a thought I wanted to run by somebody.

Reactions: Tray and bmwguru

bmwguru

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer I

Indianapolis, IN, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Pickrell
Member #

So I guess if you took a mental note of what they were right before you air'd down, then air up to about that same pressure afterwards, being consistent, then I would also think we'd be ok. Thanks guys just a thought I wanted to run by somebody.
I actually don't think it's that deep honestly. No insult intended. I just think if you air down when you get to the trail and air back up when you are done it should be fine. Just air up to what you want and check them after 10-15 miles of highway use if you are concerned. Does your rig have tire pressure monitor? If so it makes this issue much easier to check. If you were to air up and then drive a short distance to a hotel or such and stayed for the night then I would for sure check your tire pressures before leaving the next morning.

Reactions: RoarinRow and Tray

MetalMatt1776

Rank I
Launch Member

Member I

Lexington, OK, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
Linthicum
Member #

There is no way to give you the best tire pressure for your rig. The best way to find out though is the chalk test. Mark a decent sized strip across your tread and drive half a mile. Check it, if the center is more rubbed off then you are overinflated. If the edges show more wear you are under inflated. Once you have about even wear you have found the perfect psi. You can normally get it very close to ideal within 2-3 attempts.