What tablets will Gaia GPS work on?

• HTML tutorial

NorCal451

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

El Dorado County
Member #

Been looking to mount a tablet for music storage and GPS stuff. Would like to use Gaia GPS. The Brand new amazon fire 8 is trash. Any input would be sweet.

NERWINSKI-SoJXx-OB7333

The other Sean

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Minneapolis
Member #

Are you looking to only run Gaia on the tablet? I run a cheap insignia (Best buy house brand) 8" tablet in my truck. It works as long as I don't try to run too many layers or more than one app at once. For $59 + a memory card, it more than does the job for the single purpose of running Gaia.

trfkcop

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Oak Ridge, Tennessee
First Name
Todd
Last Name
O'Neal
Member #

Just got to the bay and find any of the Galaxy Tab series. I buy my kids new ones every couple of years (if they don't get broken first). $70 - $80 all day long, load their movies etc. and don't have to fool with them. Every Tab 3, 4, etc. has had GPS available to them.They work great, expandable SD card slots, movies look good, Google play for Android apps...

gandrimp

Rank III

Advocate II

I have a Galaxy Tab A and Gaia, works great. I have no data plan, just load before you leave home. I did load at lower resolution on my trip to Colorado and was not happy. We stayed at a KOA 1 night and I reloaded it off their wifi (it took all night).

CaseyW

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Seattle, WA
Member #

I"ve got a Galaxy Tab S2 8" with a Ram mount. Contact Ram directly, they have not jus the X-grips, but ones that fit some tablets exactly which are very solid. I'm still experimenting with location, but last time out I had it mounted from the floor (seat mount).

John-Scott

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Benson Way, Ashland, Oregon 97520, United States
First Name
Johnt
Last Name
Forester
Member #

I have a TabA and get a message that there is no room. I have 200G SD card, but the internal storage is full. I think that Gaia is on the SD card and some maps, but I can't download anymore. How have you set yours up?

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I hear you can run GAIA off a iPad mounted in your rig for nav. I'd suggest buying a gps receiver with bloothooth since Ipads GPS is more of an IGPS which uses cell towers to approx your 20. Overall, iPads dont have true GPS so buy a sat reciever with bloothooth to connect to for simplicity sake. I'll be purchasing the DUAL gps reciever. Stoked to get my nav setup.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using OB Talk mobile app

Reactions: Moriarty

tacoclifford

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Stony point, ny
First Name
Anthony
Last Name
Cirrilla
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD2RMS
I thought I would confirm @Nickzero post. I run an iPad mini 4 in my Jeep with a dual electronics xgps160. The GPS receiver connects to my iPad through Bluetooth. I download certain areas on Gaia gps and can access them offline. The gps unit does a great job. My iPad is the WiFi only version. As long as you download the maps for your area, you won’t need WiFi access.

That GPS receiver has about a 10 hour battery life. But will run while plugged in. So it can basically run interrupted for as long as you have 12v of power

@Nickzero. It’s a sweet setup The receiver I have is great. It tracked me most recently through New Hampshire. Not as secluded as other parts of the country but there was a load of times that I had no cell service and no open path to the sky. With thick tree cover, it still worked flawlessly. Battery last long enough to explore all day. It connects with my iPad with hardly any hassle. And stays connected. The unit can connect to up to 5 devices too. I’d recommend it for sure

Reactions: Nickzero

Stephanie

Rank IV
Launch Member

Traveler III

Goldston, Chatham County, North Carolina, United States
First Name
stephanie
Last Name
Curlee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM4CNY
Service Branch
Army
Are you looking to only run Gaia on the tablet? I run a cheap insignia (Best buy house brand) 8" tablet in my truck. It works as long as I don't try to run too many layers or more than one app at once. For $59 + a memory card, it more than does the job for the single purpose of running Gaia.
Are you still running the insignia?

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I thought I would confirm @Nickzero post. I run an iPad mini 4 in my Jeep with a dual electronics xgps160. The GPS receiver connects to my iPad through Bluetooth. I download certain areas on Gaia gps and can access them offline. The gps unit does a great job. My iPad is the WiFi only version. As long as you download the maps for your area, you won’t need WiFi access.

That GPS receiver has about a 10 hour battery life. But will run while plugged in. So it can basically run interrupted for as long as you have 12v of power

@Nickzero. It’s a sweet setup The receiver I have is great. It tracked me most recently through New Hampshire. Not as secluded as other parts of the country but there was a load of times that I had no cell service and no open path to the sky. With thick tree cover, it still worked flawlessly. Battery last long enough to explore all day. It connects with my iPad with hardly any hassle. And stays connected. The unit can connect to up to 5 devices too. I’d recommend it for sure
Oh this is great info! I literally just got my Sat receiver in the mail last week. I am expecting to use this on my next trip up to the GA Traverse in feb this year before moving to CO. I have only heard good things about this setup. GAIA is so far a super awesome application for us and along with the help of a GPS receiver it is almost the perfect setup when out in the sticks. I was aslo intending on running the setup constantly plugged into the power source off my rig. --- I was thinking of somehow creating another USB plug and hard wire it into the battery so I can utilize another '2' sources of power.

uss

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Odessa TX
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Ockert
Member #

What GPS receiver is everyone running with this setup?
I have an Ipad Pro and run the Gaia pro version. Overall I do like it.

Todd

RevIza

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Berkeley, CA, USA
Member #

Oh this is great info! I literally just got my Sat receiver in the mail last week. I am expecting to use this on my next trip up to the GA Traverse in feb this year before moving to CO. I have only heard good things about this setup. GAIA is so far a super awesome application for us and along with the help of a GPS receiver it is almost the perfect setup when out in the sticks. I was aslo intending on running the setup constantly plugged into the power source off my rig. --- I was thinking of somehow creating another USB plug and hard wire it into the battery so I can utilize another '2' sources of power.
I've been working on setting up my Garmin inreach explorer+ with an old ipad 2 mini (no GPS). It seems to work (most of the time) but sometimes it seems to lose info/connection and am not sure why. I had hoped the ipad would use my iphone GPS when paired via bluetooth, but that does not seem to work at all. Keep in mind I am still on a steep learning curve with Gaia and GPS in Apple devices!

Reactions: Nickzero

flyboytr

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Mobile, Alabama, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE4KHQ
I run Gaia on a Samsung Galaxy Tab A, 8 inch. It is non-cellular. It does great for me. I also run Gaia on my Android phone. I have had no problems and use a floor mounted ram than holds the tablet in the perfect spot.

Nickzero

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Greenville, SC, USA
First Name
Nicholas
Last Name
Dugdale
Member #

I've been working on setting up my Garmin inreach explorer+ with an old ipad 2 mini (no GPS). It seems to work (most of the time) but sometimes it seems to lose info/connection and am not sure why. I had hoped the ipad would use my iphone GPS when paired via bluetooth, but that does not seem to work at all. Keep in mind I am still on a steep learning curve with Gaia and GPS in Apple devices!
Yeah, From what I know Apple iPads do not come standard with GPS. You will need to purchase a 3rd party GPS receiver and connect it with your iPad via Blutooth for constant GPS out in the sticks.

Reactions: sbsyncro

xplorr

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Reno, NV
Member #

Yeah, From what I know Apple iPads do not come standard with GPS. You will need to purchase a 3rd party GPS receiver and connect it with your iPad via Blutooth for constant GPS out in the sticks.
The wifi-only iPads do not have internal GPS receivers, but the cellular models do. You don’t need a cellular plan for the GPS to function on those.