Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

I am wanting to start overlanding. Just got me a 2012 Jeep. It has a lift, new tires, beadlock wheels and a winch. I was wondering what some of the first more important things I should look at buying.
Love the Jeep by the way, you lucked out - it looks ready to go as is.
Looking at the tips above is exactly why I joined Overland Bound, and why I really enjoy this Forum.
Since I like to go overboard with Jeeps I'll defer to the more level headed recommendations above.
I would however recommend that you take your time and plan out your build, shop around to see what fits your needs - DO NOT do what I always do - Jump Right in!
The saying "Just Empty Every Pocket " is so true when it comes to owning a Jeep.
If you find your Jeep talking to you at any point seek help from a friend or family member.

Putting Jokes aside, you will find all the tips you need right here. By joining Overland Bound you already have your first Mod checked off....

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I'm probably parroting what others have said but:

If it's new to you, drive it around town getting used to where I the controls are so you can feel out any tactile buttons or dials without having to look. Get a feel for the vehicle and its ride qualities.

Vehicle-specific tools

Obviously, check all maintenance items and make sure to include the differential fluid and transaxle. Dont go far or remote until you do this.

After that, recovery straps/ gear, sleeping bag, tent, first aid

Drive up some two track dirt roads a bit close to home and feel the vehicle off road. Just day trips at first. See how it handles. Get used to it.

Then do some car camping, maybe in a simple car camping state park nearby to see what you feel like you need or dont need. All a short distance from home where AAA can help you.

Once you are comfortable with all that, get out there with others. See what they have, see what they can do. Decide if you like what you have and do vs if you like any of their ideas.

Dont go nuts spending a bunch of $ you dont need to. Spend it on the Fundamentals first. Fluids. Maintenance like brakes. Bulbs. Belts. And hoses. That'll get you farther than the newest overpriced contraption but bad or no diff fluid.

On your longer trips, you may want to bring spares of things that can break, like belts or lower hoses. Yes bring a compressor and tire pressure guage.

Good luck. Looks like a nice Jeep.

Reactions: 9Mike2

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
@cclark1198 Everyone has covered the basics but I will add a few things:

• You did the fluids etc but it came with worn tires, so have a suspension check done, and drive shafts checked. Likely the previous owner was doing a bit less maintaining
  • Think about storage Jeeps are small, you want good organized storage even of day or weekend trips. Get everything you think you need and pack up your jeep. Now imagine you need your recovery gear where is it how much has to moved to get at it. Same with cooking and sleeping gear.
  • Know how to use your recovery gear setup in the driveway or on a simple gravel road and try things when the jeep just sitting flat.
  • Finally use you head, the road ends when you say it does not where some else does. If you are not comfortable with an obstacle and your ability turn around or make sure the people you are with offer guidance. If you do not like what they are saying turn around.
That is really it use your head, think calmly and clearly about tur needs and safety and you not go too far wrong.

I suggest driving for 2 or 3 months before worrying about mods you will know your Jeep and have any unexpected maintenance issues sorted. As well a much better idea of how complicated trails you want to travel.

Reactions: Ubiety and 9Mike2

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

It sounds like your Jeep is basically ready to go. I'd go over it and do a basic "nut and bolt" and all the fluids, then just get a tent and sleeping bag and get out there.

-TJ

Reactions: Ubiety

Dave Lay

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Russellville, Arkansas 72802, United States
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Lay
Member #

A fuel credit card
Seriously the mods I’d suggest for your current vehicle such as sliders and a winch, you already have. Others have covered it I think, so be sure your maintiance is up to snuff, grab some maps and a sleeping bag and hit it. You will figure your needs as you go.

GLOCKer

Rank IV

Pathfinder II

Marietta, Georgia, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Battersby
I haven't spent the time reading everyone's responses, so please forgive me if I repeat some items.

I'm pretty new to this myself! I decided to prioritize items in a certain order with the eventual goal of being able to get out to do an extended trip away from where I live in Georgia to Southern Utah to see some beautiful landscape, canyons, and ghost towns.

My first two priorities were recovery and safety. I put a winch on my truck pretty early, but I learned that recovery gear is pretty important. I bought a tree saver, a strap, soft shackles, hard d-ring shackles, recovery boards, Hi-Lift jack, shovel, and packed all of this with some gloves. I still lack a winch dampener blanket but that will be taken care of soon. I also kept a 5 gallon reserve of fuel in the bed of my truck, but now I have a FuelPax by RotoPax on my bed rack. An important thing I made sure I had was a first aid kit in my truck with a couple Cat-T tourniquets, compression bandages, quick clot, etc.. And a flashlight. Just in case the going got bad, and then it went late into the evening.

My next priority was having a place to sleep comfortably. I searched out a used roof top tent and installed a rack on my truck and the tent on that. With all of that, I had the basics taken care of. I could always pack a cooler of food like sandwiches and drinks to camp for a weekend and with the gear I have, be comfortable as I am equipped.

Now I am working on the culinary side of the camping equation. I'm putting together some items to be able to cook good food (it's a hobby of mine!) at a camp site. So far I've bought a Coleman stove, and I have a small gas grill. I'm looking to purchase a 12 volt fridge/freezer that I can put in the back seat of my truck to keep food longer.

After the food situation is taken care of, I think I will be looking to adding additional, low voltage lighting to the rack on my truck. I want to be able to illuminate my camp kitchen and the area around the truck in the evenings. On a less glamourous note, I will be purchasing a camp toilette and pop-up tent/stall. I think my wife would prefer that for when the needs arise, and I think I would certainly enjoy that aspect of life a little more.

Another item I purchased is a small generator. It's pretty quiet and runs on dual fuels, gas and LPG. It'll run for roughly 24 hours at a 50% load on a 20lb bottle of LPG. The idea is I can start it up at night and recharge any gear I need to, while powering my fridge/freezer through the evening. And here is the controversial part. :grinning: I will be purchasing a small window unit AC and modifying it to pull air from my roof top tent and put cool air back in. It will be able to run on the generator along with the fridge/freezer. I'm sorry, but fat boy here likes sleeping comfortably! It gets a bit hot and humid here in Georgia in the summers guys!

My truck is going to weigh a billion pounds by the time I'm done outfitting it! HAHAHAHA!

But in all seriousness, when what I have now, I can get out for a long weekend with what I have now and be relatively comfortable!

LONO100

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Bay Area CA
First Name
Ken
Last Name
PXXXXXXX
The first mod should always be a nice stubby antenna! After that of course, tires. But since it sounds like your ride is pretty ready to get dirty, I would start to look into recovery gear. Once you get recovery gear, practice using it and get familiar with it before you leave the pavement. I have used my high lift jack twice in the most precarious of situations, and both times it saved me. However, I see lots of vehicles running around with one strapped to their vehicle, yet I constantly see guys on the trail using them improperly, dangerously, or, not even knowing how to bring it back down after they have jacked it up.

Also get a proper tow strap and learn how to use that too if you don't already. Again, too many people are out there using tow straps improperly and flooring their vehicles and damn near ripping their vehicles apart.

Even something as simple as using a shovel can take practice. A few weeks ago I was up near tahoe and saw a couple trying to dig their stuck vehicle out of the snow, and they were digging out the side of the stuck tire opposite the direction the vehicle was going to go in when they tried to get it free. I ended up coming over to help them out and we got them free. But imagine how long they would have been there if nobody had come by to help.

I know trail recovery and first aid kits and stuff like that aren't sexy mods, but I'm a dad now so I'm constantly preaching the basics about everything. Good luck and have fun!

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I am wanting to start overlanding. Just got me a 2012 Jeep. It has a lift, new tires, beadlock wheels and a winch. I was wondering what some of the first more important things I should look at buying.
FOOD is number one.
Refigeration to keep it cool be that ice or ???
A safe storsge box for non refrigerated food, hopefully bear safe.

Sleeping, whatever you feel is secure, tent vs hardwall trailer vs everything in between, security from animals is all about distance from food smells.

After that, the rest is about activity beyond survival. Hiking, biking, exploring. Photography, Swimming, Drinking. After eating and sleeping, this is why are you here.

And how remote are you? Communication..... cell, CB, Ham, or some satlillite form of communication , or just telling yer Dad where you are going.....

FOOD
SLEEP
RESCUE

Beyond that, you just need a reasonable brain., common sense, sense of survival.

I'd say, given the questions, the vehicle is overkill. You need to refine your abilities. I think the vehicle might take you beyond them.
Route finding, being able to back track.... maybe some technology will help, give a false sense of security, but utimately you need to be able to back track without IT.
If you have the common sense to not go down the rabbit hole...... yeah, FOOD, SLEEP, RESCUE, fixate on those goals. And stay inside your comfort zone.

Last edited:

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

The first mod should always be good quality tires as that's the only thing "connecting" your vehicle to the road, I will never understand why people get cheap tires for their rigs.

Jedi

Rank VI
Staff member
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Arlington, WA, USA
First Name
Brie
Last Name
McClory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6JDI
Think in terms of basic needs in Maslow's hierarchy of needs:
  1. Breathing
  2. Drinking (Are you able to bring enough water?)
  3. Eating (Can you bring enough food and tools to prepare it?)
  4. Shelter (Where are you sleeping, warming up, cooling off, and getting out of the elements?)
  5. Safety & Security (Do you have a first aide kit? What about tools to recover and/or repair your vehicle? If necessary, do you have tools for self protection?)
Once you have all that covered, you can get into the psychological needs:
  1. Belongingness (Do you have friends to go out with? HINT: We are right here!)
  2. Esteem Needs (Can you plan your trip with achievable goals to provide you with that sense of accomplishment?)

Reactions: 9Mike2 and GLOCKer

Mtnmn99

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate III

Chamberlain, SD, USA
First Name
paul
Last Name
piazza
Member #

I believe the first mod should be go on a trail run. See what you want to do. I have been out on the trail with stock rigs that had just as much fun as set up rigs. The key is just to get out, enjoy and build according to your needs. For example I went with a stock Gladiator last weekend. He had stock mud tires, did not have any recovery equipment. I was amazed how quickly he went from wanting a lift and other gear to buying recovery equipment and tools to air down.

It is not that he does not want a lift, but camping and self-preservation became their first priority. In my opinion, get out enjoy and the priority of the mod will come.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and GLOCKer