Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
Depends on what your goals are. Sound like your Jeep is capable. Do you plan on camping? Have camping gear? How long of trips do you anticipate taking? Weekends or weeks? Have any way to keep your food cool or cook and eat it? How will you navigate? Paper maps? Do you have a compass and nav skills? Electronical with a phone or tablet? A little background on what you are looking to do will help folks provide the best of advice - otherwise you may receive a lot of chaff.

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Congratulations on your new rig! I wish you a lot of fun and all the time good and safe travels with it!

At the beginning I would familiarize myself with the vehicle and the equipment and learn to move it safely and correctly. I would also check if everything on the vehicle is in order and working. Has it been serviced regularly? Maybe a service makes sense? Maybe you can do it yourself or have the opportunity to watch someone else do it, and that way you'll learn quite a bit about your new rig.

Basic knowledge of vehicle technology, first aid, off-road driving and navigation are useful. There are certainly Overlandbound members in your area, which are helpful to you and happy to help. You can also look in the rally points here, whether there is perhaps an OB event in your area in the next time where you can meet some experienced members:

Also, have a look here at the forum at the Tread Lightly online awareness course regarding the responsible use of the environment and nature:

Enjoy!

9Mike2

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Garden Grove, California
Member #

Start out slow an short weekends, keep a list of things you need, meet ups, check out what they have . And remember Food, Water,, Gas, and E Supplies should top of any list. I keep some stuff in all the nooks and under things in my Jeep. Also have or you can swap out your belts and hoses and keep the old ones tye wrapped some were . Even like putting them in plastic bags and stuffing them behind your taillights, which comes off with removing two screws , I keep a battery run impact in with the spare tire changing stuff and have a adapter on the jack for the impact or hand ratchet can spin it.

Reactions: Ubiety

64Trvlr

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Northern AZ
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Trvlr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK7NAZ
Service Branch
MM1 US Navy
Sounds like you have a fairly well set up Jeep.

I think that your first mod should be a weekend trip. See what you don't have that you want to have and what you have you can do without. Don't get too wrapped up in what you or someone else thinks or says you need. Just get out enjoy the outdoors and see how that first trip goes.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I am wanting to start overlanding. Just got me a 2012 Jeep. It has a lift, new tires, beadlock wheels and a winch. I was wondering what some of the first more important things I should look at buying.
Your rig already has more mods than I do (+ -). I'd concentrate on your gear for off road needs (anticipated needs)
like a small compressor, air gage and recovery tools etc.. Your camping gear is next if that is what you will be doing out there. The best way to find out the answer to your question is to just take what you thing you will need and go. Your adventures will dictate your needs as you go along. If you plan on tripping with a group they may require certain items for you to be able to travel in the group. If so they will tell you what you need to join them. Most of those groups have some fairly rigid requirements but they are based on what they think you may need for the adventure they are planning. Example below of a New Mexico club trip rules.

Attachments

Reactions: Ubiety and 9Mike2

Wanderlost

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Caledonia, Illinois
Member #

I am wanting to start overlanding. Just got me a 2012 Jeep. It has a lift, new tires, beadlock wheels and a winch. I was wondering what some of the first more important things I should look at buying.
By definition, "overlanding" is vehicle dependent travel. In my opinion the first thing you should do is go over your Jeep with a fine tooth comb to make it dependable.

Cooling system: flush and fill, new belt, thermostat, hoses.

Fuel system: new filter, inspect all the steel and rubber lines, clean the throttle body and MAF.

Spark: change spark plugs, inspect all coil pact....

You get the idea.

Most importantly: closely inspect all the modifications the previous owner made. Don't trust that they did it right or used quality parts.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Get a notebook and take it everywhere you go, start a page with NEED, another WANT and yet another DO NOT NEED, start a list, DO NOT go spending a bunch of money on things right off unless you are sure you NEED it and even then you might find your needs change... That list will grow and change a ton as you go out more and more..

Say your camping and and find setting up a tent sucks, maybe you decide to buy a quick up/down tent (which I do love), but after a season you decide that a RTT might be even better, see how things change? If you spend tons on a tent upgrade then buy a RTT you get to try and sell an expensive used tent your not using.....

To this day I use my lists and with the wife adding, taking off, we are defining every trip things for all 3 areas...

All of this of course is FUN!! Main this is get out there and get to the adventure!

Jim

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Gas. Then go out for a drive in the woods.

Then pick up a few basics like a tent and such and go camping. Take a few camping trips close to home to see what you need. Otherwise, you will end up with a pile of expensive junk you never use sitting around the house collecting junk.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
1. Fix your location so that you're address isn't showable. City and state is fine.
2. Lockers and MT's.
3. A game plan for getting unstuck. Hilift, claws, Shovel, whatever.
4. Plain Olde ground tent, pad, sleeping bag. Check out proper backpacking gear. Avoid giant tent camper gear.

cclark1198

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New Salisbury, Indiana 47161, United States
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Clark
Member #

Depends on what your goals are. Sound like your Jeep is capable. Do you plan on camping? Have camping gear? How long of trips do you anticipate taking? Weekends or weeks? Have any way to keep your food cool or cook and eat it? How will you navigate? Paper maps? Do you have a compass and nav skills? Electronical with a phone or tablet? A little background on what you are looking to do will help folks provide the best of advice - otherwise you may receive a lot of chaff.
Yes want to camp. I do have basic camping gear. I would be looking at weekend trips to begin with working up to more as I get prepared.
I hunt so yes I know how to use a compass and I also starting using GAIA maps on phone with horseback riding so have that.

I'm looking at what for the jeep. I have ordered tree saver and shackles to use with my winch already.

Reactions: 9Mike2 and Ubiety

cclark1198

Rank III

Enthusiast I

New Salisbury, Indiana 47161, United States
First Name
Clint
Last Name
Clark
Member #

By definition, "overlanding" is vehicle dependent travel. In my opinion the first thing you should do is go over your Jeep with a fine tooth comb to make it dependable.

Cooling system: flush and fill, new belt, thermostat, hoses.

Fuel system: new filter, inspect all the steel and rubber lines, clean the throttle body and MAF.

Spark: change spark plugs, inspect all coil pact....

You get the idea.

Most importantly: closely inspect all the modifications the previous owner made. Don't trust that they did it right or used quality parts.

Yes I agree. Second day I opened it got fluids changed (oil, diff, trans, coolent) So I knew where I was starting from. Then I just got new tires, the others were very worn. The last month I have been watching YouTube and understanding suspension and if they change things in relationship to the lift. Thus is also helping me learn all the parts. It appears they took care in their mods. I also have scheduled to meet at a off road shop that I met through a jeep club to give it a once over.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

No matter where you go, no matter your brand of "overlanding" a good nights sleep is a critical component. So if you are going to be sleeping in, on ,or around your truck, make sure you are warm, dry and comfortable.

For me, mobility, shelter, food , self rescue/extraction, fire suppression and first aid are the lowest common denominators.

This is a great place with many knowlegeable people participating in many different styles of "overlanding" and there is something to be learned from each of them.

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
Here's my $. 02, do with it what you will.

"Overlanding" basically consists of three basic parts, as I see it.

1. Travel
2. Accommodations
3. Self reliance

Let's tackle travel first. This can be anything you want. It can consist of paved roads, gravel and dirt roads, or technical trails, and any combination in between.

How you set up the vehicle, and what mods you want to make should primarily be determined by this factor. A stock vehicle will handle the vast majority of travel requirements with little to no modifications. Figure out where you want to go, and what trails you want to do, and modify accordingly.

Keep in mind that as you're starting out, you don't know how the vehicle handles, and what it's real capabilities are. As such, if traveling alone, you're probably not going to be tackling the rubicon. Keep it easy starting out, and push it a little bit further as you get more confident in yourself and the vehicle.

Now let's talk accommodations. This means what are you eating and where are you sleeping. This could range from a hammock, to the Hilton.

In your case, you mention camping. I say if you have all the camping gear you need, just use that. While it may not be ideal, as you begin doing this more, you may (and will) find that you want to make changes to some of your gear. At that point, once you have an idea of what's working, and what's not, you can start making changes to your setup.

For example, I found that much of my camping gear worked well for stationary camping, it's either too bulky or inconvenient to use when moving every day. Also the way I was storing and organizing my gear took way to long to load and unload from the rig. I've made some changes that I think will streamline this process, but I haven't tested that yet.

Last is self reliance. This means not needed to rely on someone else during your trip. This means making sure your vehicle is prepared for the trip you have planned. You have enough food, water and supplies to last until you can resupply. This means that you are as prepared for any situation you think you'll come across as you can be.

What I'm getting at with this is basically the following...

I always tell people use your vehicle how it first, and make no performance modifications to it for a while. Don't make any modifications to it until you have to.

Take my vehicle for example. I drive what is, performance wise, a bone stock 2003 Nissan Xterra. Yes it has a rear tire carrier. Yes it has a drawer system. Yes, it has sliders.

I have no skid plates, no lift, no winch. I have tackled some very difficult trails in essentially a stock vehicle. I've been driving this vehicle for about 18 months now, and I feel like I'm just now starting to understand it's limitations. However, when tackling these tough trails, I'm not alone.

I'm just now getting to a point where I feel comfortable enough to start venturing out on my own, and even then, I'm planning on sticking to relatively easy roads.

Anyways, I feel like I've rambled on enough for now. I hope this helps some.