DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I am looking for a small propane fire pit, one that takes up a small amount of space when stored. What do you guys use and recommend?

Thanks

Reactions: Shahn

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Watching. I’d like one that runs off the small 1 lb bottles, but I don’t think there is one. I have heard good things on Camp Chef, but have no personal experience and it seems to require the big bottles.

Reactions: Shahn and DMS1

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
That is certainly unique. Never seen that before. Does it put out a decent amount of heat?
You can crank it up to a ludicrous flame - 3+ feet and burn through almost a pound of propane in an hour. 60K BTU or some such. Or turn it down to a reasonable level for 3-4 hours per pound.

Bpjr07

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Baldwin Park, CA, USA
First Name
Ramiro
Last Name
Vargas
Member #

I wish i knew about this ! Looks badass, i bought the camco little campfire its probobly best for the price but double the storage size.

Reactions: Shahn

Speric

Rank VI
Launch Member

Advocate III

Santa Rosa, CA, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Speric
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6SCT
I have a Camco Little Red Campfire. Picked one off ebay for cheap and added lava rocks from an old firepit I used to use in my backyard. Packs up nice and tidy, and does the job. I also have an adapter to run 1lb tanks if I need to. Those Lavaboxes look pretty nice too, just a bit more expensive.

Shahn

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger I

Snohomish County, WA, USA
First Name
Shahn
Last Name
Brown
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRQD549
I have the Outland Firebowl that @BCMoto is looking at, I picked it up from Costco. It works great and puts off good heat, but it's for sure not as compact as the Lavabox or the Camco LRC though.

Reactions: Tim N Michele Davis

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I had bought a generic/off-brand version of the Outland Firebowl at Costco a few months back that had sat boxed in my garage. Went to unpack and test it last night since we were going to use it on a quick trip tomorrow only to find there's something wrong with the regulator, so it will only light for a second. Now that I'm going to have to look again, gotta admit I like the compact-ness of the Lava Box.

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I had bought a generic/off-brand version of the Outland Firebowl at Costco a few months back that had sat boxed in my garage. Went to unpack and test it last night since we were going to use it on a quick trip tomorrow only to find there's something wrong with the regulator, so it will only light for a second. Now that I'm going to have to look again, gotta admit I like the compact-ness of the Lava Box.
I’m kinda wondering about the rocks in the Lavabox. My firepit at home uses small glass beads and I have a nice uniformly distributed flame. The rocks in the Lavabox look pretty big. I wonder if the smaller beads would work or if there’s a reason they wouldn’t.

Old Tanker

Rank V
Launch Member

Steward I

Norfolk, VA, USA
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Reimer
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I’m kinda wondering about the rocks in the Lavabox. My firepit at home uses small glass beads and I have a nice uniformly distributed flame. The rocks in the Lavabox look pretty big. I wonder if the smaller beads would work or if there’s a reason they wouldn’t.
The rocks sit on top of a grate. If you replaced them with beads, you would need to switch to a finer grate.

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

I know its not as compact as the lava box but im wondering if it has the same amount of heat output. Im lucky enough to have a spot for this firepit in my truck

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Not small, but I've been using a Camp Chef Redwood firepit for years. I use it as both a camp fire and to cook on. For cooking, I just bought a Webber replacement grate and set it on top of the ring handle of the firepit. Works like a champ. I don't use any kind of rocks or beads in mine, they are too much of a pain to deal with when overlanding.

The one problem with using any of these portable firepits as a camp fire is that they only give off a lot of heat right above them. A real camp fire heats up the ring of rocks around it and spreads the hot embers out around the actual fire. Both of these things retain and spread out the heat some. All these portable units are designed to contain the heat for ease of use and safety. All that said, we've only had a real camp fire once since we bought the Redwood and that was when there was an old fireplace to be used.

trail_runn4r

US Rocky Mtn. Local Expert. Colorado: Denver Area

Pathfinder III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Carlo
Last Name
Donzelli
Member #

Not small, but I've been using a Camp Chef Redwood firepit for years. I use it as both a camp fire and to cook on. For cooking, I just bought a Webber replacement grate and set it on top of the ring handle of the firepit. Works like a champ. I don't use any kind of rocks or beads in mine, they are too much of a pain to deal with when overlanding.

The one problem with using any of these portable firepits as a camp fire is that they only give off a lot of heat right above them. A real camp fire heats up the ring of rocks around it and spreads the hot embers out around the actual fire. Both of these things retain and spread out the heat some. All these portable units are designed to contain the heat for ease of use and safety. All that said, we've only had a real camp fire once since we bought the Redwood and that was when there was an old fireplace to be used.

A bit off topic but I have to ask.. is this campsite in Death Valley?