Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Portland,OR
First Name
Wokker
Last Name
Krumbholz
Member #

We take our Outland Firebowl with us and this will be the second winter with it. It puts off plenty of heat and although its not compact, we got the extra bag for it so we can stack things on top of it and around it.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare the likes of a Lavabox to either the Camp Chef or Outland rings head to head? I have to admit that I'm attracted to the very compact nature of the Lavabox, but I'm curious how well it radiates any warmth compared to a traditional bowl style. Especially since the Camp Chef can be had at nearly half the price.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Has anyone had an opportunity to compare the likes of a Lavabox to either the Camp Chef or Outland rings head to head? I have to admit that I'm attracted to the very compact nature of the Lavabox, but I'm curious how well it radiates any warmth compared to a traditional bowl style. Especially since the Camp Chef can be had at nearly half the price.
I can't compare them side by side, but when not in an enclosed space, the physical foot print has to effect the amount of heat radiated outward. Since heat rises, only so much of the air around the device is going to heat up. If the fire covers a larger horizontal area, it stands to reason that the warmth will be spread out more. Pure BTUs will overcome some of that, but again, most of the heat is going to be going straight up. To properly heat an area, you need something to soak up the heat and retain it over time. Neither of of these really offer this.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

I can't compare them side by side, but when not in an enclosed space, the physical foot print has to effect the amount of heat radiated outward. Since heat rises, only so much of the air around the device is going to heat up. If the fire covers a larger horizontal area, it stands to reason that the warmth will be spread out more. Pure BTUs will overcome some of that, but again, most of the heat is going to be going straight up. To properly heat an area, you need something to soak up the heat and retain it over time. Neither of of these really offer this.
Agreed that neither truly offer it, but I've had a good propane fire ring with rocks that provided a good bit of warmth on the patio. What I can't really determine is at what size that becomes diminishing returns. Both the Lavabox and the likes of the Camp Chef/Outland put out about the same amount of BTU, and both use some manner of rock to help radiate some heat. So the trick becomes how much horizontal space of said rocks is needed to effectively radiate some heat. No, they'll never compare to a full roaring campfire, which is going to put out a lot more BTUs because it's larger, and likely has a larger ring of rocks (though I've had beach fires with no rings that still had me toasty), but in places where that campfire is impossible, they have their purpose.

That's why I'm curious about the size to radiated heat capability between the bowl style and the ammo box. Much smaller footprint on the latter, but if the amount of radiated heat was reasonably close, I'd be inclined to spend the extra $$$ for the space savings.

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

They are all going to be similar…I have friends that have all three, honesty none of them really put off a proper amount of warmth compared to a real fire. But when there is a fire ban these make the evening a lot nicer to hang out and chat. The beauty of the LavaBox is it’s size which is one of the reason I went with them…It’s also a Colorado based company and is USA made, there is no way they could make these boxes to compete with the camp chef, Outland rings or similar fire rings in price. They don’t source from China. I do realize we are in a global market place and I have nothing against anything made in another country. But that being said I like to support smaller companies that build a quality product and invest in their community. Which is why I chose LavaBox. YMMV.

Etoimos

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Peyton, CO
First Name
Keith
Last Name
Upton
Member #

Agreed that neither truly offer it, but I've had a good propane fire ring with rocks that provided a good bit of warmth on the patio. What I can't really determine is at what size that becomes diminishing returns. Both the Lavabox and the likes of the Camp Chef/Outland put out about the same amount of BTU, and both use some manner of rock to help radiate some heat. So the trick becomes how much horizontal space of said rocks is needed to effectively radiate some heat. No, they'll never compare to a full roaring campfire, which is going to put out a lot more BTUs because it's larger, and likely has a larger ring of rocks (though I've had beach fires with no rings that still had me toasty), but in places where that campfire is impossible, they have their purpose.

That's why I'm curious about the size to radiated heat capability between the bowl style and the ammo box. Much smaller footprint on the latter, but if the amount of radiated heat was reasonably close, I'd be inclined to spend the extra $$$ for the space savings.
After my first trip with the Camp Chef, I stopped carrying the rocks for it. They were too much of a pain to deal with. I don't think the heat footprint is going to be vastly different between the two types, so I would just go with the one you like the most. One of the things that I like about the Camp Chef is that I can also cook on it pretty easy.

Reactions: Moebius01

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
We got a Lavabox - small, high output. Just not a traditional footprint. Shop Propane Fit Pits — LavaBox
Could you post some pictures of the inside of the lava box and the burner they sell? I am going to make my own and would like to see what they have going on. I looked on their web site and did some searches but could not find any pictures of their burners and the insides of the unit. Thanks

Trackerjack

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Lancaster, CA, USA
First Name
Ajit
Last Name
Jothikumar
Member #

it's a popular one, and one that's been mentioned here, is the Outland Firebowl. I highly recommend it. I was just out with some friends for a couple nights in Alabama hills, and it was a hit with all of us. easily the best piece of gear I brought along. it put out plenty of heat, it was easy to use and to set up and put away. I got the "Premium" version of the Firebowl.....which gets you the auto ignition along with the cover lid. the fit and finish looked great as well. hope this helps.

Reactions: Shahn

GMC Tank

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Arvada, Colorado, United States
First Name
Edy
Last Name
Coyote
Member #

I've got the Camco Big red. Came with those fake foam logs. Works good. E at has some foam skills that you can put in these in place of the logs. I'm gonna get them because I'm that weirdo

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

Was searching for something else and came across this, which seems like a refined version of the LavaBox, ut more of an all-in-one. It seems they are currently out of stock.

Reactions: Shahn and RoarinRow

jimmyjamson

Rank I

Contributor III

Switzerland
First Name
jack
Last Name
austin
I had bought a generic/off-brand version of the Outland Firebowl at Costco a few months back that had sat boxed in my garage. Went to unpack and test it last night since we were going to use it on a quick trip tomorrow only to find there's something wrong with the regulator, so it will only light for a second. Now that I'm going to have to look again, gotta admit I like the compact-ness of the Lava Box.
there are alot of option in the Propane Fire Pit Table. What ones are you using and does it have a good travel case or Abel to put in the Front Runner ammo box for storage so it doesn't not get damaged.

Moebius01

Rank V

Advocate I

TN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Jowers
Member #

there are alot of option in the Propane Fire Pit Table. What ones are you using and does it have a good travel case or Abel to put in the Front Runner ammo box for storage so it doesn't not get damaged.
I never ended up replacing it. I'm back on the lookout, possibly for one of the ammo box size ones as it's usually just going to be the wife and me, and space is a premium.

FishFam_logs

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Livermore, CA, USA
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Fisher
Still using my Little Red CampFire. Of course I prefer a real fire whenever possible but it works great when time is an issue or fires are outlawed.

Funny thing, this is the time of year I use it the most. No fighting wet firewood, no waiting to build a proper fire and it can happen anywhere. On our day snow trips I'll pack the fire pit, its cooking platform and something small to cook. Nothing like finding a snowy empty meadow and firing up the pit for some grilled cheese and tomato soup. Or grilling up some steaks and veggies while at the base of ElCap during a snow flurry.

I'm sure the Ammo can style pits can do the similar but having the option to use a single heat source to cook and give warmth. Thats a great space saver.

Reactions: Tundracamper