What pans do you guys use??

• HTML tutorial

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I am looking into completing my camp kitchen. I have utensils (well ordered them) and plates, stove, Coleman Camp Oven, a nice prep table and other goodies..

Mainly looking to know what kind of pans you guys use? I need something space saving but yet big enough to cook some good sized meals on.

Thanks for the input

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Can't help much on the space saving, something I am dealing with myself. We have a 12" cast iron we have been using for years. For my birthday my wife got me an 6" to go with it. Me personally, I wouldn't use anything else.

Reactions: SIG383

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

So looks like i need to forget the space and buy a good size cast iron skillet?

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

I just bought a skottle from Tembo Tusk to try out after seeing it here and on ExPo. Ill admit Im a fan and will likely add it to the kit box for longer trips.But my go to is also a lodge dutch oven (I have honestly 30 pieces of cast iron from Lodge skillets/ ovens,/ breadpans/ fajita plate (like chilis use to use) to an oval Macca IE BIG, to old Griswalds, Soe Craycort for the BBQ grill (Best things ever) and an all-clad smoker that is next to impossible to find but also makes an awesome roaster.

But the dutch oven thing I use camping is the Lodge L8DD3. Its odd looking but the uses and features are what sets it apart. It is a 10" dutch oven with lid. But it has just loop handles so it takes up less space. The lid also has side loops as well, not top loop. This means it can turn into a skillet. The capcity it 5 Qts which is ideal for 4-6 people depending on the type of dish being prepared. I also carry a cap chef dutch oven dome. This is like a fireproof tent that can over the dutch oven and make 360* heat, also is great when it is windy as it turns into a wind break. Yes the cast iron is heavy, but you can even cook fireside if needed with it, hence its name "oven" since traditionally they were hung on jacks, or placed in the embers of a campfire/ fireplace. But check out the L8DD3, its ideal for most our uses, may find out it fits yours as well.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Having done 18th century living history for years, we have a habit of going to our living history vendors first when we need camping stuff. The one we use the most is jas townsend & Son (Jas-Townson.com). They have dutch ovens ranging from 12" ($140) to 8" ($66) plus several sizes of cast iron pots. They also have tons of cook books and cooking videos. Their cooking stuff is based on colonial cook books and there is so really off the wall stuff. If you have a chance its worth checking out. (no, I have no connection with them, they just have cool stuff)

Reactions: benmmc

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

For camping I just have a 10" lodge skillet and a lodge Dutch oven as well. I also have a 8" griddle that I take because it's flat, and comes in handy. For boiling water I have my Grandma's old aluminum kettle/pitcher thing. Works fine!

For backpacking, I have some whizbang lightweight stuff, but it's always awkward to work with. One of the things I love about overlanding is that I can take all this big stuff, no problem! Makes camping much more enjoyable for me.

Reactions: RescueRangers

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

FYI Amazon just discounted the L8DD3 by $15, it is only $35 with prime delivery right now. Weird it just dropped in the last couple of hours.

Reactions: benmmc

benmmc

Rank VI
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Ball Ground, GA, USA
First Name
Ben
Last Name
McCloskey
Member #

FYI Amazon just discounted the L8DD3 by $15, it is only $35 with prime delivery right now. Weird it just dropped in the last couple of hours.
I like that lid-as-another-skillet feature, but wouldn't the lid slide off easily? Doesn't look like it has a lip to hold it on. From what I can see, mine is the standard L8DOL3 with the normal lid.