• HTML tutorial

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

The lid has a ring on the inside edge that that the sits inside the oven to keep it centered and secured. Image linked from Amazon, hope it helps.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Went to the garage this morning and pulled this out of the kitchen kit box. Due to no feet on the over or lid, you can make this a part of your everyday household cookware as well. Cast Iron goes from stove to oven, to campfire, to the broiler, to a jet engine without worry. Just do not dishwasher, store left overs in it, cleanup is easy and no soap is required.

Anyways, made some AMAZING corned beef and cabbage last night, and is tradition, I had to have hash for morning breakfast. This is one of my favorite dishes camping. I have been known to cook corned beef just to have the the best breakfast ever. I did cook it inside, but a stove is a stove, unless yours is glass then it is missing out on cast iron love. Throw an over-easy egg or two on it for a nice touch.

Toss a few pats of butter in the lid and get it browning while we turn our attention to the food. I like to chop the meat smaller and just rough chop the veggies. Flip in a hot skillet till it browns on the edges, add salt and pepper, some hot sauce and serve. MMMM.

Oh and for the potatoes, onions, peppers, and sausage for dinner tonight (cooked a larger 12" skillet), some nice ciabatta rolls. Dough was started at 2 PM yesterday, will start cooking about 5PM tonight. Smells like brewing beer in the house now, but soon it will be fresh baked bread that fills this place

Reactions: murps

Laughing Otter

Rank VI
Founder 500
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

13973 State Hwy 112, Sekiu, WA, USA
First Name
Ansa
Last Name
Langer
Member #

Camp Chef cast iron set in a steel foot locker that includes a 6" egg pan, 12 pan, 14" deep fry pan, 12" dutch oven, 14" square ribbed fry pan, 2 bacon presses, 1 cast iron corn bread mold, handles, lids, lol...and a free cook book! weighs a ton, so only bring it on trips of 3 days or more. Then, last year, my wife and I were at an antique store and we bought a massive 30" cast iron fry pan...only used it once in our backyard over our fire pit, but had to have it! "Ha...that's not a pan...(clang)...Now that's a pan!"

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Camp Chef cast iron set in a steel foot locker that includes a 6" egg pan, 12 pan, 14" deep fry pan, 12" dutch oven, 14" square ribbed fry pan, 2 bacon presses, 1 cast iron corn bread mold, handles, lids, lol...and a free cook book! weighs a ton, so only bring it on trips of 3 days or more. Then, last year, my wife and I were at an antique store and we bought a massive 30" cast iron fry pan...only used it once in our backyard over our fire pit, but had to have it! "Ha...that's not a pan...(clang)...Now that's a pan!"
I had a 17 lodge skillet. It is so big it only has loop handles on it. I used it as a roasting pan a few times then sold it for twice what I paid since they are no longer made. But Dollywood in TN uses the same skillet to make their pies. MONSTER PIES. The skillet measure over 20" across the top and is 4" deep.... makes a dam large pie.

Speaking of pie. I whipped up a blackberry grunt, in a lodge 10" skillet. Its like a cobbler but with dumplings instead of a cake or strussel top. Dam fine eats. My daughter is really a fan now.

Not hard to make and incase you wanna, Alton Brown makes a great one.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/blackberry-grunt-recipe.html

Reactions: Gotrovr

Byron Eby

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sacramento, CA
Member #

@jordanbrooks One giant iron pan that I throw in the dedicated gear box. I know many people are anti-non-stick pan but it help tremendously when you are out, off the grid, and need to clean. Some camp soap and a pine cone cleans them nicely :)

Nomad

Rank III

Enthusiast III

2 Dutch Ovens large and small 1 - 12" fry pan I really am jealous of a buddy of mine who has a 20" never seen one around anywhere for sale.

utspoolup

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Member III

Murray Utah
Member #

Followed Mr. Overland bound in true style and picked up a skottle. Cooking being one of my past times I experiment often, and having another thing to cook on is always a fun time learning. Last night I started a marinade for some bulgogi. Decided to try it on the skottle. Did a dam fine job on it as well. Whipped up some rice, match sticked some veggies, picked up some fermented cabbage (not kimchi as I could not find it, more Mexican, curtido, with carrots and peppers) still did the trick. On red lettuce as a wrap. Thanks to OLB for introducing me to the skottle and maybe think of adding one to your kit. It cleans just like cast iron and needs to be seasoned the same.

Think I had 4 helpings of the stuff, but it also makes a great appetizer for your trail partners. Hope no one minds me using the space.

Cooking in batches for some browning instead of stewing. Just push the cooked meat to the edge and toss in another handful to be cooked in the center.

RichardS

Rank IV
Launch Member

Contributor II

Charleston, SC
Member #

Happy Valentines Day!

Looking for some opinions on overlanding cookware. My wife bought me a 10-piece Magma nesting set for Christmas. I ended up returning it because it was non-stick (bad experience with that finish). My immediate thought was to replace with the 7-piece all stainless set, but I wanted to get some opinions here first. I'm cooking on a Camp Chef Everest. I'd like to be able to cook an bacon 'n egg breakfast, and heat up some stew for dinner, nothing too ambitious yet.

In theory I like the portability of the Magma kit, and certainly appreciated the quality when I handled them.

What are you all using? How do you store your fixed handled cookware?

Thanks!

[MERGED with existing thread]

Last edited by a moderator:

SIG383

Rank 0

Contributor II

Germany
I am just getting into the overland scene myself, but when weight is not really an issue, I always go with my cast iron. I drove from Washington to Colorado and set the back of my truck up to sleep in. I cooked on the tailgate some pretty good meals using my cast iron fry pan.

Reactions: RichardS

SIG383

Rank 0

Contributor II

Germany
I'm also all about the cast iron! When in a vehicle, weight is not as much of an issue as when you are carrying everything on your back. So yeah, I have 6" and 10" skillets and dutch oven in cast iron, along with a stainless steel tea pot for boiling water for coffee and such. When the gear goes on my back, I use a small Snow Peak Titanium setup since my meals then are mostly freeze dried and all I am doing is boiling water.

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
I'll tell you, I hear what you say about non stick, but in MUCH experimenting, we use some cheap chefs non stick skillets (a 10inch,a nd 12inch) purchased for 19.00 from a kitchen supply store. We use the same ones at home as in the field kit. We've gone through all kinds of pans, and we still have some cast iron for searing and such, as well as a bad ass dutch oven, but for say, breakfast (eggs, especially) you just cant beat it. We have really nice All Clad stuff in the kitchen, and went through a bunch of crazy expensive cookware before we found we were just using this kind of stuff all the time. We still have nice All Clad pots and pans inside, but they mostly just look pretty on the pot rack.

These are the exact same pans we use, just being sold at World Market instead of our Chef's supply. For 19.00 even if you were to trash one, or say, Oh, I dont know, forget it on South padre Island National Sea shore, its not the end of the world. We replace the inside ones once a year, and those usually find their way to the field kit. They weigh about 12 oz each.

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/professional-aluminum-skillet-12-inch.do?&from=fn

http://www.worldmarket.com/product/professional-aluminum-skillet-10-inch.do?&from=fn

RiverCityDave

Rank V
Founder 500
Launch Member

Advocate II

Austin, Texas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Hunter
Member #

Service Branch
Army
two non stick skillets, a BIG cast iron Dutch oven, a large flat griddle, and soon a Skottle. We use a Camp Chef Pinoeer 14" 2 burner and its various accessories for most of our cooking, but we figure the Skottle will the place of that (the way we cook anyway) about 75% of the time.

RescueRangers

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fleming Island, Fl
Member #

Our issue is not weight but space (down fall of most every Jeep). Being a minimalist has its advantages, the less cooking equipment we carry the more food and other stuff we can pack in. Besides, you really don't need a lot of stuff to cook most anything, it really comes down to what do you want to cook. By the time we get back to our rig we aren't in much of a cooking mood so we tend to keep cooking simple so we carry two cast iron skillets, may cut that down to one, and one medium pan for all we cook.

Reactions: transworldmoto

Corbet

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Durango, CO
First Name
Corbet
Last Name
Hoover
Member #

I prefer cast iron like many. But the weight sucks so I try to plan meals that require the same pan or two rather than lugging around an entire kitchen.

For boiling water I keep going back to my 20 year old MSR stow-a-way pot out of my backpacking kit. Stainless with a lid and built in handle.

All my kitchen items are stowed in a Pelican case along with the coffee as that is my first need come sunrise.