What pans do you guys use??

• HTML tutorial

Gunnermoose

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

Mesa, Arizona
Member #

I am of the cast iron crowd. I carry a 10" frying pan, a 4 quart dutch oven both cast iron. I also carry a 2 1/2 quart enameled sauce pan for thing like vegetables. This is for most trips. If I am going on a longer trip with more people I will carry a larger dutch oven and a cast iron grill for the stove.

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

Well I see lots of posts about stoves and some other general camp gear but have yet to see what every uses for their pots/pan choices. Do you go towards the sturdy (but heavy) cast iron skillet or something thinner (and less weight) like a stainless steel, nonstick, etc?

Im trying to get my camp kitchen setup together and was curious what everyone uses from their experience. I have small titanium pots and pans from backpacking but with taking my family out i'll need more than that.

[MERGED with existing thread]

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Kelly

Kelly

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Member Rep
Launch Member

Traveler III

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Herrin
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KFØDEX
Well I see lots of posts about stoves and some other general camp gear but have yet to see what every uses for their pots/pan choices. Do you go towards the sturdy (but heavy) cast iron skillet or something thinner (and less weight) like a stainless steel, nonstick, etc?

Im trying to get my camp kitchen setup together and was curious what everyone uses from their experience. I have small titanium pots and pans from backpacking but with taking my family out i'll need more than that.
I love my cast iron skillet, but I just can't justify the weight. It also takes a lot more effort & water to clean. I recently switched to a non-stick camping pan with a folding handle.

Screen Shot 2017-05-03 at 8.44.09 AM.png

I also carry a 1qt. square stainless steel pot with lid.

TerryD

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Covington, Virginia, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
R
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KT4OZ
I have a cast iron 6" pan and a MSR 750mL pot. I'm probably going to start carrying a larger pan in the future, the 6" isn't quite big enough to feed all five of us at once or fix a decent pancake in. Ever evolving!

Reactions: Art

Jeepney

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

MN
Also use a Magma 7pc, and always have a 'disposable' teflon pan since we tend to cook a bunch of sticky stuff for breakfast.

I always check out cast irons but it's pretty heavy to lug all the time so i haven't

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

I've got a lightweight nesting set (the kind where the lids also serve as frying pans of varying sizes) as well as a cast iron skillet. I bring my cast iron Dutch oven occasionally, though it gets kinda heavy.

fstfrd00

Rank IV

Pathfinder III

Fort Worth
casst iron. In my experience steel/non-stick pans warp overtime. No such worries about cast iron, clean-up is a breeze but a ton heavier. I also use cast iron when at home to.

Reactions: TerryD

Obi-Juan

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Southern California - San Fernando Valley
First Name
John
Last Name
Lechuga
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K5JKL
We picked up this set last year and we love it. Everything is designed to fit nicely on a Coleman 2 burner camp stove, and their non-stick coating is fairly decent. And when you are done everything packs up compact enough for easy storage. Also, for the price it's hard to beat.

Coleman Family Cook Set

Jasalvas

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Petaluma, CA
Member #

For backpacking trips I had collected a large amount of light weight gear that I may use on occasion when I'm camping out of the rig.
When I have full access to the truck I use cast iron skillet, CA Dutch oven and a stainless steel pot w/ lid and pan. I use the camp fire for most of my cooking unless I need a more controlled flame. I love cooking with the last iron so the maintenance isn't an issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: sully3 and TerryD

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

we use some small cast iron skillets we inherited and a dutch oven given to me as a gift, and a few small aluminum flat cooking sheet with short sides

Overland-Indiana

Overland Bound - Midwest Regional Ambassador
Launch Member

Influencer II

Kokomo
Member #

I really love all my GSI gear..I use as much of their gear as i can. Lightweight, affordable and hold up well.

sully3

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Purdy, MO
First Name
jeff
Last Name
sullivan
Member #

thanks for the info Overland Indiana and ExploreDesert ill have to look in to this this would help tremendously on save space in our hiker trailer we tow with us..

Reactions: Overland-Indiana

Billy "Poserlander" Badly

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

PDX, OR, USA
Member #

That GSI set is the exact one I have. Lightweight and compact, and the non-stick coating on mine has held up for years...

ChefboyRD

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Manassas,Va
Member #

I love cast iron but do yourself a favor and throw a non stick saute' pan in the mix. Never brown those eggs people! Sorry I cook for a living.

Reactions: Art

Art

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate II

Woodinville, WA
Member #

I love cast iron but do yourself a favor and throw a non stick saute' pan in the mix. Never brown those eggs people! Sorry I cook for a living.
That's kind of what I figured. Gonna look for a small cast iron and a non stick that would fit inside it for packing

Dana Ramos

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Alta, WY
First Name
Dana
Last Name
Ramos
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EXK
I love my cast iron skillet, but I just can't justify the weight. It also takes a lot more effort & water to clean. I recently switched to a non-stick camping pan with a folding handle.

View attachment 22828
Seems like most people here are pretty fond of the cast iron but I'm w/you on this one. We got a couple different sizes of MSR's nonstick pans w/the folding handles. They're light, store small, cook well, and are easy to clean.