Stem, NC
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4WCJ
I have used these for years on my cars, and helping others out. Though 99% of the use I have is simply diagnostic in nature. I like to monitor things from time to time, as a checkup, and if codes pop... boom goes the OBDII tool.

I have considered adding a full-time gauge cluster using this port... but never really took the time to do so, as I never really felt it was a NEED more of a fun gadget than anything.

These are a MUST HAVE for any 'modern' car in my mind though. Without a code reader... you are out of luck half the time when something goes wrong. Everyone should spend the 20-30 bucks to keep one on hand for sure. Why would you NOT have this available to you.

Reactions: Matt Hixson

Matt Hixson

Rank V

Member I

Big Lake, WA, USA
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Hixson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7FZJ
These are a MUST HAVE for any 'modern' car in my mind though. Without a code reader... you are out of luck half the time when something goes wrong. Everyone should spend the 20-30 bucks to keep one on hand for sure. Why would you NOT have this available to you.
My thoughts exactly. I also like to monitor stats for things that I don't have stock dash gauges for, such as turbo pressure and transmission temp.

Aaron Parker

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Stem, NC
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Parker
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK4WCJ
My thoughts exactly. I also like to monitor stats for things that I don't have stock dash gauges for, such as turbo pressure and transmission temp.
These are also great for the time and again event like a heavy tow or harsh conditions. I like to monitor transmission temps, oil temps, etc... it's a great way to know for sure how hard the vehicle is being pushed. Once you start overheating your fluids... you know you are making the part unhappy.

I also use this to gauge how well an engine is running... for instance a friend's car with unknown issues, or buying a used car.

1Louder

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member II

AZ
First Name
Chris
Last Name
K
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K1LDR
Kenwood DX radio has it built in. Works great.

Reactions: 9Mike2

RoarinRow

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Elk Grove, CA, USA
First Name
Rolando
Last Name
Nispiros
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6JJS
I have the ScanGauge II in my truck as well. I use features that my 02 didn't have by default such as MPG, Ave MPG, Air Intake Temp, HP, and scanning error for codes, etc. I also have a WiFi enabled OBD device that connects to my OBD Fusion app on my iPhone. This opens up a whole new world of features, e.g. boost, load, etc.

Reactions: Boort and 9Mike2

USStrongman

Rank V

Influencer II

Lubbock, TX, USA
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Hildebrand
Member #

For JK/JKU I run OBD JScan with a VeePeak dongle. It allows adjustment of all of the CanBus functions and all dealer options. You can also run it as "live" data to monitor current conditions. I use it when towing or high elevation for oil, engine and trans temps primarily. Free download at Play Store/iTunes to see what all it is capable of.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
I use an OBDLX Bluetooth module and Torque Pro on my Android head unit.
1595965266880.png

My biggest complaint is the speediness of the connection. In the above image Torque started trying to connect to the ECU once it was the vehicle was started, but you can see it did not connect until the coolant temperature was already at 116 degrees.

ChadHahn

Rank III

Advocate I

Tucson, AZ
First Name
Chad
Last Name
Hahn
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0POB
I use an OBDLX Bluetooth module and Torque Pro on my Android head unit.
View attachment 164781

My biggest complaint is the speediness of the connection. In the above image Torque started trying to connect to the ECU once it was the vehicle was started, but you can see it did not connect until the coolant temperature was already at 116 degrees.

I have about the same system in my Truck. It's a 97 so it doesn't have many options for OBDII but I can monitor my coolant and intake temperature.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I am looking at the Scan 2 for my 5th gen 4runner to monitor the transmission temp, any ideas, suggestions or other recommendations? Thanks!

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I use the Torque app, they have just about every PID sensor you could possibly need, for some that arent there you can input custom ones. Works with any bluetooth OBD-II adapter.

Reactions: Advtres and M Rose

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I am looking at the Scan 2 for my 5th gen 4runner to monitor the transmission temp, any ideas, suggestions or other recommendations? Thanks!
I have the OBDLink referenced above. My primary motivation was to monitor tire pressures when airing down for offroading. It’s a big pain to get the phone out and get everything connected. It works pretty well. However, I think I’d prefer a dedicated gauge, like the Scangauge, that would just be on all the time. Then you don’t have to mess with the phone and the quirks that can come with that. I don’t use what I have as much as I should simply because I don’t wanna fool with it.

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
I have the OBDLink referenced above. My primary motivation was to monitor tire pressures when airing down for offroading. It’s a big pain to get the phone out and get everything connected. It works pretty well. However, I think I’d prefer a dedicated gauge, like the Scangauge, that would just be on all the time. Then you don’t have to mess with the phone and the quirks that can come with that. I don’t use what I have as much as I should simply because I don’t wanna fool with it.
That was my concern as well, so I went with the Scan 2 with gauge, I just need to monitor the transmission and engine temps, beyond that I have old school stuff and it is not a race car so the rest is cute but not useful to me right now. I of course say that now.. once I have it installed I am sure I will be like, oh wish I had… then I will buy a dedicated phone to run the dedicated app…