minengr

Rank I

Contributor III

Harrisburg, IL, USA
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Roethe
Well, um, I bought my future rig new. It's a 2001 ZR2 Blazer. It was my daily driver for 10+ years and I've got around 175k on it. Sadly, it has mostly been parked in the driveway rusting for the past five years. I'm hoping to begin restoration/repair/building by the end of the year.

izzywolf

Rank 0

Contributor II

Central NJ, USA
First Name
Zachary
Last Name
Oakes
I can't officially join the discussion here (still working on getting a rig), but I thought I'd ask: what's the general consensus about buying a U.S.-made pickup truck with more than 150k miles?

I'm thinking about it, because Toyotas are seriously expensive.

Reactions: Trail_pilot

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
I can't officially join the discussion here (still working on getting a rig), but I thought I'd ask: what's the general consensus about buying a U.S.-made pickup truck with more than 150k miles?

A well taken care of vehicle should see at least double that milage. I lived in an old blazer for a while right outta high school. Bought it for a couple grand with 320k km on the odometer and I got rid of if with 480 on the odometer because the rear axle blew apart after too much abuse and I didn't have the money to fix it. Still miss that old truck.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

In todays market, I'd say its not too bad of a risk. I know many of my coworkers have purchased used trucks which now have over 200k miles and they still run well. I'd say it really depends on a few things....first, the area.... any place with salt on the roads will probably mean corrosion of some type on the frame. Toyota was bad for it about 10 years ago but they changed their paint and rubber coatings. If you can get one with the maintenance history available that would probably be best. I had a buddy buy a used car once and was pleasantly surprised with a FULL maintenance history (receipts and log book) filled out in the passenger seat when the picked up the car.

I don't have experience with these but, I know two coworkers that purchased "flooded" cars, rebuilt them, and now daily drive them as if nothing was ever wrong with them. Its definitely a risk but doable. Actually, one of them bought two flooded BMW M5's, took good parts to have one good vehicle and sold the other for scrap and parts.

SJ.Overland

Rank VII

Trail Blazer I

Beavercreek, OH, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Johannes
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE8TDZ
I started in an 04 4Runner Sport. Bought it at 150k and traded it in at 310k to get my current 19 Tacoma Off-Road at 5 miles on the odometer.

WhatThaFrig

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Knoxville
First Name
Shane
Last Name
Dull
Member #

My 96 Disco had close to 200k on it, now has 210ish. My 13 Rubicon had 40ish when I bought it 3 years ago, it now has 100k on it

Reactions: Roving_mom

reaver

Rank VI

Explorer I

Caldwell, ID, USA
First Name
Brian
Last Name
McGahuey
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS WRMV941
I bought my 03 Xterra with 132k on it almost two years ago. It's now at about 140k, and that's been mostly dirt and adventure miles.

loper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Nampa, Idaho
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Hendricks
Member #

160K when I bought it, about 168K now. Two highway trips (to LA for the top, and Portland for the 4X4), the rest have been mostly forest service roads, etc.
Didn't have a maintenance history when I got it, so I did all the fluids, plugs & boots, belt, hoses, and thermostat. Had to jump it once when I left the lights on.

Reactions: Chuckem12

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I bought my 91 Xj 7 years ago with 220K on the clock. It's approaching 250K. 90% of the driving has been adventure related. I have a 2002 Ford F-150 that we bought new it's my daily driver. It only has 90K on the clock. (How I wish it was a 4x4 it would make a great Overland rig if it was). I have always worked with in a mile of my home since I have owned the truck.

terryg

Rank V

Pathfinder III

Nixa, MO, USA
First Name
Terry
Last Name
Gandy
Member #

I bought my 1998 Sportsmobile E250 in 2019 with 140,000 miles. It now has 155,000 miles and has held up great.