Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

At what mileage did you purchase your current overlanding rig? Has it held up? Any rebuilds?

I bought my truck new in 2017 with 6 miles on it. Currently sitting at 73K miles with about 10-15 of those being for travel/camping/overlanding.

Reactions: Shahn

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
Bought my 2015 Ram 1500 used with 55k miles on it. After a year I have 75k miles on it. Took me about 8 months to get where I could finally start living out of it for days at a time. Im hoping I can get a lot of use out of it over the summer and work doesn't get in the way.

K12

Reactions: WAYAWAY and Shahn

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Mine was a one-driver Penske leasing vehicle from the south and was around 207,000mi if I recall correctly. Now it is 413,000. Almost all of those miles are long-distance and extended journey miles.

The ol' girl has held up fine with no major problems and only reg maintenance like brakes, filters, and glow-plugs. This, the diesel van before it, and the diesel two-door before that have been the most dependable and trouble free vehicles I've ever owned.

• Wow
Reactions: Shahn and Chuckem12

Phillysteak

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Arizona
First Name
Philip
Last Name
Haasnoot
Member #

Purchased my 2017 WK2 with 34k miles on it, at 115k after 1.5 years.

Needed to replace the radiator due to a leak, some minor issues here and there. I try to do any needed maintenance prior to the summer kicking in here in AZ. Lots of filter changes depending on dust storms. I only seem to wash it the day before a monsoon hits.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
Bought my truck new in Nov 2017 with 12 miles on it, now just over 60k miles. Around 15k of those are towing miles (5,000LB travel trailer or 4,500LB boat), around 5,000 of them related to overlanding, mostly interstate miles while carrying RTT and gear and a portion of them exploring the Alpine Loop and other roads/trails in the area.

Next month we head to MT from IL, so probably another 5,000 miles or so. Only issues have been a particulate matter sensor failing at 16k miles and then one of the parking brake shoe friction material pads breaking loose and dragging.

KD7WCD

Rank VI
Founder 500
Investor

Influencer I

Tempe, AZ, USA
First Name
Jayson
Last Name
Adamsen
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD7WCD
Bought my last rig with 6 miles on it and drove it for 14 years. It was a Nissa Xterra Off-Road. We did trips all through the Rockies from the Mexican border in AZ to the Canadian border in Montana. Unfortunately, a red-light runner totaled a few months back. Hit me hard enough to roll it over but I walked away fine. The Xterra served me well up until the end.

Because of the pandemic and being out of work for most of 2020 the finances were not there for a new car. So had to work with what we had from the settlement. I recently ended up with a 2006 H3 Hummer with 160k on it. Already have it up to over 175K with our first real trip under the belt. So far I think I am lucky in that any issue I have had are just normal older care issues that I would have been facing with the Xterra.

Haminacan

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Columbia City, Indiana
First Name
First
Last Name
Lastname
Member #

My van had 126k a month ago when I bought it and is now at 130k. I bought a 2008 JKU Rubicon at 100k 8 years ago and traded it in at 152k without ever having a problem with it.

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
Current vehicle - Montero GLX bought new - now with almost 69,000 Km on it, 45, 000 Km of which were a trip around Australia, the rest at home in Colombia.

Problems? None

Previous vehicle (actually concurrent but in another continent) - LC80 bought with 284,000 Km on it, sold after two years - we covered 45,000 Km around Southern and Eastern Africa in it.

Problems - odd wear and tear as you'd expect for a 20 year old vehicle, the only major items were a new front differential, a replacement radiator, and a new hub bearing. Rebuilds - none.

Previous vehicle - XTrail T31 bought new, put 49,000 Km on it driving around South America - still in the family with 120,000 Km on it.

Problems? None

Alanymarce

Rank IV

Trail Mechanic III

Colombia
... and while I think of it, in the spirit of the question - my Jeep Cherokee was bought new in Texas, sold after 176,000 Km in Europe.

Problems? None!

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

I got the WJ around 92k miles, though we originally bought it for my wife's younger brother when he turned 16 as a daily. We got it back (we helped him buy a new car) around 104k I think it was. It's only at 111k now, I need to use it more. My truck I don't remember exactly, but less than 10. Around 125k now.

-TJ

Reactions: Shahn and RoarinRow

Mojavewanderer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Steward I

Hemet, CA, USA
First Name
Brent
Last Name
Caldon
Member #

I bought my 1980 Toyota pickup 17 years ago (wow, it doesn’t seem that long!), with around 46,000 miles. It’s at around 98,000 miles now, and has held up pretty well.

I bought my 1985 Toyota 4Runner a year ago May with around 195,000 and it’s at around 203,000 now. Took a while to get it running (it had been parked for quite a few years when I bought it) but it’s holding up good.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

At what mileage did you purchase your current overlanding rig? Has it held up? Any rebuilds?

I bought my truck new in 2017 with 6 miles on it. Currently sitting at 73K miles with about 10-15 of those being for travel/camping/overlanding.
We did similar in 2017 when we bought our colorado new but we have put 180,000 miles id say 10k of those are overlanding 20k are hauling stuff around and rest are highway miles from my wife going to work. Had a few minor problems that were easy fixes . Over this time I've had 3 different suspension setups til I found what I like and 5 different tire brands til I found what works best for me.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

This is great to hear about the longevity of our rigs! Gives me high hopes about big numbers in the future and possibly future builds!! With a growing family, I'm going to have to look at more space so I'm happy to hear that some high mileage vehicles can still be made to have fun.

Reactions: Shahn and Road

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
Bought it in 2016 with 246k miles on it. Currently at 270k. Pretty much all of those miles are camping or exploring off-road. It's not my daily driver so the miles add up fairly slowly.

Other than maintenance and upgrades, I had to have the transmission resealed. While they had it out they put a master kit in it. It was leaking and I got tired of the driveway stains.

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
i bought my 2018 tundra new and put close to 30k on it one year. we just did a 2 week trip that was 5k miles, so the miles do add up quick. no problems yet.
i use my vehicles like a long distance runner uses shoes, so i buy good, buy new, use the hell out of it and buy new again once its used up.