Weir, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Roots
Member #

Service Branch
USAF
Bought my 2012 Colorado in 2017 with 13k on it. Currently sitting at 65k. Only about 3k of that is overlanding. The rest is daily driving/farm truck related. Other than a leveling kit I installed, the truck is totally stock. No issues other than I replaced the tires recently after having a blowout and discovered they were the original ones from 8 years ago.

KonzaLander

Rank VI

Traveler II

Junction City, Kansas, USA
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE0EBF
Purchased my 1999 Land Cruiser at 245k miles in 2016. Today it has 351k miles on it. The vehicle is my daily driver and I am planning to do another state on the CDT with it this year. Only big issue has been the brake booster.

The original vehicle that led me to what became overlanding was my 2003 Rubicon. Purchased in 2003 with 12k miles on it and it now has almost 150k miles. Only big issue has been the clutch throwout/release bearing.

DRAX

Rank V

Advocate I

Monticello, IL
First Name
Hogan
Last Name
Whittall
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W9DRX
We did similar in 2017 when we bought our colorado new but we have put 180,000 miles
Slightly off-topic, but who did you have do the timing belt and what did it run? Dealers seem to be clueless still, but I have a ways to go before I need to have mine done. I'm also hoping the prices will be more consistent, random checks have it ranging from $800-$1400.

dakight

Rank IV

Enthusiast I

Gilbert, AZ, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Kight
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KB7DK
I bought my 1998 Dodge Dakota Sport 4x4 in November 1997 brand new in Denver Colorado. The old vagabond now has somewhere in the neighborhood of 243K miles. Major repairs have been new heads at 100K and rebuilt transmission at around 150K. I've gone through 2 or 3 water pumps and have had to put new gaskets in the timing cover. She still starts and runs and burns no oil though it does leak some.

Reactions: Shahn

MazeVX

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Gießen Germany
First Name
Mathias
Last Name
Kreicker
Member #

I purchased my jku with about 90tkm / 56000mls, rear axle seals, ball joints, whole steering linkage, timing belt (European diesel) both front U-joints and flushed the auto transmission barely in time to avoid any real damage. I know have 145 000km down.

rho

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

SF bae area
First Name
Juliette
Last Name
Penning
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
AG6YB
I bought my JKU brand new, It had like 3 miles from being driven around the dealer lot.
Its sneaking up on 176k.

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

I bought the Ranger with 4 miles on it. Currently have ~2800. Obviously, no issues yet (I don't expect to have any either). So far, I've done about 50 miles offroad. I was looking at 4rd gen 4runners, but they cost an arm and a leg and would need a boatload of money to be reliable again (even if the engine/trans are fine, it's probably 2-3k in front end work to be comfortable out and about). When the wife and I started discussing camping/exploring/wheeling, she said that she wanted something reliable. Tacomas in Colorado sell for 1-2k under MSRP of a new unit with 100,000 miles, so used didn't really fit the bill. I've been very happy with the Ranger, and the build it about to get under way.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

In 40 years I have never bought new. Mostly 5 years old with over 60K miles. Never had a bad experience but I know plenty of people who buy new and end up fighting over warranty issues. I prefer to pass on the arguements and just fix whatever breaks. Most used vehicles are depreciated 50% which leaves a huge budget to maintain things. I often spend a few grand in the first year either on mods oe maintenance.

Chuckem12

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

South Florida
First Name
Charlie
Last Name
Mike
Member #

I bought the Ranger with 4 miles on it. Currently have ~2800. Obviously, no issues yet (I don't expect to have any either). So far, I've done about 50 miles offroad. I was looking at 4rd gen 4runners, but they cost an arm and a leg and would need a boatload of money to be reliable again (even if the engine/trans are fine, it's probably 2-3k in front end work to be comfortable out and about). When the wife and I started discussing camping/exploring/wheeling, she said that she wanted something reliable. Tacomas in Colorado sell for 1-2k under MSRP of a new unit with 100,000 miles, so used didn't really fit the bill. I've been very happy with the Ranger, and the build it about to get under way.
The old Rangers were build to take a beating and I've seen some crazy numbers and life out of them. Though I'm not a "Ford Guy" I do have high hopes for the new Rangers.

Tacomas are insanely priced all over the country....

Reactions: 5280Ranger

ptgarcia

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Alta Loma, CA
First Name
Paul
Last Name
Garcia
Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6PSF
I purchase my 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab 4x4 new on May 6 , 2006 with 23 miles on it. It now has just under 156k miles and it's been virtually problem free.

Last edited:

BCMoto

Rank IV

Influencer II

SF
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Agloro
Member #

Bought my truck new 2018 and its 3yrs old this month and now has 50k on the clock

DMS1

Rank III

Advocate I

San Dimas
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Schmitz
I bought my 99 4Runner with 87K miles on it in 2007, it now has 274K miles.

JKel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Suwanee, GA
First Name
Kelly
Last Name
Barnes
Member #

I bought my 2015 Jeep JK in 2018 at 37k miles, it has only 52k now. Other than normal maintenance, no problems.

scombs-618

Rank III

Contributor III

Mount Vernon, OH, USA
First Name
Shawn
Last Name
Combs
Member #

I bought my 2018 Jeep Wrangler JKU Willys in 2019 with 11,600 miles. It just tripped 42,000. Only issue was needed radiator replaced under warranty. Otherwise so far so good with general maintenance!

Reactions: boudain

7YODA5

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Texas, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Gregory
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6CHI
I bought my ‘95 T4R in 2016 with around 240k brake in miles. Rolling around 280k right now.

Trail_pilot

Rank III

Enthusiast III

First Name
James
Last Name
Girard
My daily/light duty rig I bought new, my crawler/camper I bought with 134k km. It was my daily at the time of purchase but with the increase of fuel costs over the years it was cheaper for me to buy a second vehicle, insure it and make the payments, than it was to continue to drive that rig every day.

Reactions: BCMoto