Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Here is my current lineup
Kershaw Camp Knife, perfect for backcountry chores around camp
CRKT Shenanigan, EDC at home
ESSE 3, EDC Backcountry
CRKT SIWI, inverted on backpack shoulder strap, a really solid knife.
CRKT, Neck Knife, EDC Backcountry
And my all time favorite my Grandpa gave me when I was 5. A 1916 Marbles Woodsman
View attachment 165759View attachment 165760
The very tiny one looks interesting. That is the CRKT, Neck Knife, EDC Backcountry , right?

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

The very tiny one looks interesting. That is the CRKT, Neck Knife, EDC Backcountry , right?
Yes Sir, razor sharp. Very reasonably priced. Really handy when boating or kayaking when other knives are impractical wearing a bathing suit. I liked the EESE but it was 4X the $

Last edited:
Reactions: El-Dracho

06hyperion

Rank I

Contributor III

Moscow, ID, USA
First Name
Rich
Last Name
Lasiw
Everyone's got their go-to's. Maybe something that was handed down? Something you picked up at a yard sale? Something you sought after and researched? Pocket or fixed? Long or stubby? Maybe not a knife at all? Hatchet or tomahawk? Bolo or Bowie?

I want to know the hardware you use around camp! Show me your kindling splitting, wood whittling, tree chopping, steak slicing, tooth picking, package opening, brush clearing hardware.

What do you use, by who, for what and why?

(Let's keep it strictly utilitarian and shy away from deeper discussions on metallurgy and the like [you know who you are])

I will also allow items you no longer use if you have a constructive reason for others on why.
As of right now, I only carry my dive knife which is a cressi giant knife. Although I am looking into getting an SOG survival shovel and probably a hatchet.. and a multitool.. and maybe a bowie knife.. cause thats not a knife THIS is a knife -lol- also looking i to the ontario MK2 cause navy seals ‍♂ although i heard its not that good of a survival knife.. interested to see the responses to this thread though.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

The Woodsman looks like it's the perfect size - all-around useful I'll bet!
It is! Really holds an edge, not too big not to small. They knew what they were doing back then. It’s a collectors item now, going around $450, especially the 1916 PAT’D. model. Plus the sentimental factor of camping with my Grandpa who taught me all this cool stuff.

Reactions: DaleRF

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
It is! Really holds an edge, not too big not to small. They knew what they were doing back then. It’s a collectors item now, going around $450, especially the 1916 PAT’D. model. Plus the sentimental factor of camping with my Grandpa who taught me all this cool stuff.
Exactly! Very Nice!

Reactions: Flipper

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
Yes Sir, razor sharp. Very reasonably priced. Really handy when boating or kayaking when other knives are impractical wearing a bathing suit. I liked the EESE but it was 4X the $
Thank you! Can imagine that it is a good knive for kayaking.

Reactions: Flipper

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
Gerber Mk II I have had for a very long time, 40 + years and a Buck 110 I have had just about as long

Gerber the old leather sheath died years ago and tip was damaged by a driver on exercise 30 years ago. That sheath lets knife slide beside the set quite nicely when I choose to wear it or just on it's own

IMG_0385[1].JPG

TxJeeper75

Rank VI

Steward I

San Antonio, TX, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Heiman
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5LHN
The Gerber paraframe is my EDC. Tried and true, I have had 3 of these over the past 15 years. The K-bar bk-16 is my carry/utility knife in camp, and the bk-9, I use for processing firewood and clearing some brush. For bigger logs, I am currently using this old bow saw, but I plan soon to upgrade to the Greber Freescape camp saw. I always carry a puck to keep the blades sharp too.

Attachments

ThundahBeagle

Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

I have a Victorinox Super Tinker Swiss Army Knife that I bought for myself when I graduated back in '88 before heading off camping. Carried it every day since then. I broke and replaced the red plastic handles back in 2012. Now I generally carry a different Swiss Army knife -one that is readily replaceable, though I have about a dozen. I keep an old 111mm "Ruksack" model in my truck, along with a Leatherman Surge and a Buck 110 LT and an Estwing leather handled camp hatchet.

On my person, I am never without one of my swiss army knives as I mentioned above, but I am almost always also carrying a Leatherman Rebar and a Spyderco Native 5 plain edge. Unless I am fishing, in which case I swap that out for my Spyderco Atlantic Salt.

Last edited:
Reactions: Road and Shakes355

Shakes355

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Bellingham, WA, USA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
Adams
Member #

After much deliberation, the new addition to the family is an Esee PR4. Think I finally found my forever blade. The scales are a bit of a love it or hate it situation for some, but they are perfect for my hand; no hot spots after extended use and lots of traction. Been using it in the kitchen lately. Very pleased and a leather sheath to boot.

Attachments

Reactions: Flipper and 64Trvlr

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

After much deliberation, the new addition to the family is an Esee PR4. Think I finally found my forever blade. The scales are a bit of a love it or hate it situation for some, but they are perfect for my hand; no hot spots after extended use and lots of traction. Been using it in the kitchen lately. Very pleased and a leather sheath to boot.
Glad you found something you like that works For you.

Reactions: Shakes355

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
I have skinning knives, fleshing knives, fillet knives, Buck knives, handmade knives, butcher knives, etc, etc. My daily carry is a Swiss Army Recruit with a belt clip so it's a little harder to lose. I have been carrying the below in a belt case when I'm in the woods. I do like serrated blades.

Reactions: Road and Shakes355

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

Depends on what I'm doing,where I'm going an what I'm wearing.
The 3 most common in order of precedence are Meyerco 18 X-Ray pretty much all day everyday, SOG Spec Elite II if I'm wearing big overalls, and a Kizer Salient iwb if circumstance suggest a need.

Reactions: Shakes355

Ragman

Rank V
Investor

Pathfinder III

Geneva, IL, USA
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gearhart
Member #

I prefer the fixed blade knives for camping and picked up a Morakniv Bushcraft Black (it looks like they changed the name) at Sierra Trading for $25 bucks and could not be happier. The knife is robust and comfortable in my hand. The integrated fire steel is a nice addition, however the sharpener is very coarse. The spine strikes the steel well and it has held up very well. Note this says stainless steel but I believe that is a misprint as mine is carbon steel, not stainless.

Last edited:

DaleRF

Rank VII
Investor

Pioneer II

Sierra Vista Southeast, AZ, USA
First Name
DALE
Last Name
FOLLETTE
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7JDA
Service Branch
US Army CWO (Ret)
I prefer the fixed blade knives for camping and picked up a Morakniv Bushcraft Black (it looks like they changed the name) at Sierra Trading for $25 bucks and could not be happier. The knife if robust and comfortable in my hand. the integrated fire steel is a nice addition, however the sharpener is very coarse. The spine strikes the steel well and it has held up very well. Note this says stainless steel but I believe that is a misprint as mine is carbon steel, not stainless.

Nice looking knife.

Reactions: El-Dracho

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I prefer the fixed blade knives for camping and picked up a Morakniv Bushcraft Black (it looks like they changed the name) at Sierra Trading for $25 bucks and could not be happier. The knife is robust and comfortable in my hand. The integrated fire steel is a nice addition, however the sharpener is very coarse. The spine strikes the steel well and it has held up very well. Note this says stainless steel but I believe that is a misprint as mine is carbon steel, not stainless.

I've had and loved to use that same knife from Morakniv for almost 4yrs now, though mine is carbon steel. I have too many Moraknivs stashed around, really, though enjoy them all; so experiment with both carbon steel and stainless to compare care and maintenance, sharpening ease, and usage.

You really can't go wrong with Moraknivs. Superb steel, and for the price, an amazingly good value. Their Clipper and Companion knives are still under $20.00, and their Kansbol and Garberg are great because they're easy on either side of your belt or pack, not being in just right-handed sheath.

I also have too many Opinel knives, that I'll get into sometime in a separate post.