What justifies the expense for a rooftop tent?

• HTML tutorial

KAIONE

Rank V
Investor

Advocate I

Vancouver, WA, USA
First Name
Kanak
Last Name
Attack
Member #

I hear a lot about folks not wanting a trailer because it restricts where they can and cannot go. Our trailer can and does go anywhere our tow vehicle can go, and that’s roughly 99.9% of all trails in North America.. our RTT is mounted atop our 4x6 highly modified trailer and I’ve never ever turned around because the trailer might not make it.
Agree 100%. I’m looking into trailers to get a RTT. Carries a ton as well, as long as it’s set up correctly it should go where you’re rig goes except for the obvious extreme reasons.

Like everyone on this thread that has a big ass dog, I got 2 big ass kids and taking them down a ladder at night just isn’t happening. Getting water or taking a pee outside the tent is 100% the way for us.

Reactions: Advtres

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Reasons why I like my ground tent:
Dog gets in fine and his farts quickly dissipate.
I can pack it up faster then you can say Hans Solo
Look Ma, no ladder to slip down in the dead of night
Roof rack can be used for all my gear which looks cool
I can take different tents for different seasons, no soggy bottoms here
Less likely to be seen by bears or attacked by bald eagles

Maybe someday they will make the perfect one…Or like others have commented on, for those special trips I would just get a trailer and mount it on that which I think is the best of all worlds.

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I am a bit old school and like my life closer to the bone than most. I will scale my camps up or down according to who I travel with. If it's me and a couple surf/fish buddies that is different than with a girlfriend. When I travel solo it is very light and fast , if posting up for a while, it's less fast. Remember everything is a trade off and the reason I love something is the same reason you hate it.

Some of the reasons I don't have a RTT:
I carry toys on the top of my truck. Kayaks, surfboards, fishing rods, big and long stuff.
They are way over priced.
The soft sided RTT's are 3 season at best.
They kill gas mileage worse than the toys.
I don't need to look like a Overlander.
I understand how marking works.
I like to be able to leave my camp up and go play.
I have always found a place put down a bivy bag
I love to sleep under the stars.
If some animal wants to investigate they will do so on the ground or a RTT.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wherever we park it will be home !!
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
C'mom due, you're a surfer and you haven't figured out a way to get a tent up on top of your Ghia? Surfer from San Dimas? Thats odd. That's kinda like a desert rat in Pennsylvania. ( me ) Hope you're chuckling with me, I lived in Huntington for 10 years back when it was still way cool. Got out about 3 years after coolness left.

• Haha
Reactions: Dusther210 and MMc

sasquatchoverlanding

Local Expert, Indiana USA

Expedition Master III

Whiteland, IN, USA
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Kephart
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRMM229
Service Branch
US Army
For me it was set up time and tear down. As well as not having to be in the mud on the ground. There are always pros and cons to everything. I use mine so much I have surpassed getting hotel rooms as well. So on trips I don't even think about hotels unless I absolutely have to. And I have gotten the cost of the tent in savings. And for security reasons I like being higher to see more. Just my 2 cents.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Instead of spending $2-3k for a rack and RTT, would it be better to buy a double size cot tent with inflatable mattress included for $300? You can still get a rack if you want for gear storage or to include a canopy, but $1-2k for a RTT is pretty steep if you don't use it a couple of times per month.
This ^^^^ is a way better solution. At least $$$ wise. And a tent is a tent is a tent. An elevated tent is ...... Buy a Camp Cot with a cover no ladder required. I've almost done this.
Set this up under the awning on yer overlander, done.

Cabellos Double Camp Cot, NAPA Awning, Rack, Sleeping Bags under $1K.
Buy a Cooler, a Camp Stove, a Dry Box and go overlanding..... in a Sidekick.

3a0346ccc0b036e2c2f4de534e73f41f.jpg

Last edited:

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Beyond this ^^^^ tho I'd do/did a Square Box.
Zero setup. Park after dark, roll into a full double bed, all setup.
Wake to rain... or snow in the morning, roll out of bed, drive away, zero packup and everything is dry next stop.

DSC_0114.jpeg

Some think trailers are expensive but buy a landscape trailer from Lowes or Canadian Tire, Build an OSB BOX, throw in an old mattress, buy some hardware store gate hardware, find some old plate glass sliders from a 60 year old house, set the glass in lots of silicone, pull a quality tarp over the roof..... better than any tent.... and go.

Buy it all used and you'll have a Square Box Trailer for under $3K.

This was my first version, 5 years ago. I had the landscape trailer and built the OSB BOX complete with doors, windows, roof for $800.
It took 3 weeks to build it. One week was lost to the planning process with Rum and Coca Cola.

IMG_1419.jpg

Many additions and mods in the past 4 years and this spring the job will be connecting the solar panels, charger, cooler and having refrigeration.
The solar/battery/cooler etc will cost more than the OSB BOX. ALL the hardware is gate hardware from the Home Hardware Store..... nothing is RV $$$ Hardware.
The hardware, hinges, latches, locks 18 pieces, were under $100. The lighting, all LED, 7 lights were under $30... It is grey because I had old grey stain.
Shop when all the out of season stuff is in big bins down center the aisle. Instead of $20 each, items are 2 for $5, batteries included.
Shop smart, refuse to pay $80 for A light or $300 for A window.... my windows were free. I built the doors.
There are great cheap buys if you actually shop for them.

DSCN3098.jpeg

I absolutely love how light filled my trailer is. A translucent roof and BIG windows. The roof is the stuff they use on semi trailers, sold by the foot off a 10" wide roll, I needed 5', $120.
Waking up during a lightning storm is soo cool, the roof comes alive.
DSC_0060.jpg

The best thing about keeping it cheap is when admitting you made a mistake and making changes you are not admitting defeat. I never expected the plate glass to last, but 5 years later and I drove like a madman the first year stress testing everything, it all survived. When building at home, don't think you have to get it all done right the first year. Build the basic box around the mattress. Get the basics done and go overlanding. The rest will fall into place as you use it and figure out whats next. The kitchen and awnings are next for me. Last years project was the side tables hinged to protect the windows. ALL free old fencing 1x4 and 1x6 with free stain. I bought the hinges, stuff used on stake truck bodies. HD, adjustable, cheap and kinda cool.

DSCN2885.jpeg

I am sure one of these years I'll start with a new trailer.... I really want to match the TJR track so the bed will go from a 60" wide Queen to a 48" wide double..... and use some kind of composite wall with windows I find used or on sale. I'd love to find an old 1960s mobile home with Jalousie Windows. There are several within 10 miles of me. I'd offer $10 each. But this trailer is the super cheap prototype. I never expected it to last 5 years. It might outlive me.

One thing I know, insulating a box 5'x5'x10' is crazy. And I'll never insulate mine cuz I love the dayliight ceiling and big windows. Think hot tent...... if you can heat a tent how much energy are you losing in a tear drop, square drop. Don't over think the zero carbon thing lol, just keep it simple, build it fast, design it to make changes easy. Focus on two things, zero setup, zero pack up.

Last edited:

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

C'mom due, you're a surfer and you haven't figured out a way to get a tent up on top of your Ghia? Surfer from San Dimas? Thats odd. That's kinda like a desert rat in Pennsylvania. ( me ) Hope you're chuckling with me, I lived in Huntington for 10 years back when it was still way cool. Got out about 3 years after coolness left.
Funny, Not many know I live in the 909. I get wet 3-4 times a week at NP, HB,I own a place in the line up at both. still surf Most people think I am a local. When they killed Main Street it was the death of HB. Chuck Dent is now off of Beach. PCH is all built out.

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
Cool, I've spent a little time in those waves. Now pretty much an old lifer on the OR coast, Florence. We do get a wide variety of camp rigs through here.

Reactions: Billiebob

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

PS, if I was to buy an RTT I'd want a fast setup that I could move setup. I'd want a BIG protected entry. I've only seen one and I love it.

Free Spirit has no competitors in my mind. I could care less what it costs. I love the fast easy setup and the open concept. And I love how tight she is setup.

DSC_0063.jpeg

They should pay me to say this stuff.

dchurch

Rank III

Advocate I

Oregon, USA
First Name
David
Last Name
Church
Add rock sliders and scrap the ladder. The RTT design still doesn't work for me but this would be a nice summer toy.

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
Funny, Not many know I live in the 909. I get wet 3-4 times a week at NP, HB,I own a place in the line up at both. still surf Most people think I am a local. When they killed Main Street it was the death of HB. Chuck Dent is now off of Beach. PCH is all built out.
I wept openly when the Golden Bear was tore down.. Saw Greg Allman there. Used to hang out at a bar on Main. The storm troopers would march thru the bar nearly every day, those were the days eh?

Reactions: MMc

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

Saw many bands at the Golden Bear. Loved the Honk reunion there. I love the theater to, classic place for surf flicks.

Reactions: MOAK

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
seems we may have hi-jacked this thread. Vintage So Cal was a lot of fun. I left about the same time the last orange groves along Harbor Blvd were developed.. 84'. I led a beautification & maintenance team in preperation for the Olympics specializing in parking lot line striping... Made a ton of money & came back home.. asta la vista baby !!

Reactions: MMc

MadVet71

Rank III

Enthusiast III

Texas, USA
First Name
Aaron
Last Name
Harlan
Member #

Service Branch
USAF Retired
You're not going to get a double-sized cot tent with mattress included for 300 that is worth a hill of beans as far as comfort, or that will last very long. You're comparing two very different things.

My hardshell RTT cost less than my OZTent RV-5 ground tent, which IS a very comfortable and durable ground tent.

I have since sold the ground tent, nice as it was.

My RTT is MUCH easier to use, MUCH more overall convenient, MUCH quicker to set up, and MUCH easier to find a location in which to set up.

It's always there, always ready, has all bedding already in place, and is, by far, a MUCH more comfortable sleep than I've ever had in anything else in my more than six decades of outdoor adventuring.

View attachment 211232

Whether I'm lakeside or mountain camping, or in the swamps or desert borderlands, I've found my hardshell RTT to be the best and most functional solution for cost, efficiency, comfort, and durability. I've used it well over 600 nights out, so far.

A lot of folks seem to moan about the weight of RTTs. I can't speak to soft fold-out RTTs (I wouldn't own a fold-out RTT and if given one, would sell or give it away) though my hardshell RTT, with queen-sized interior, weighs little enough I can move it about on my rack if I need, and can get it on and off the rack solo, when needed. It weighs less than the spare tires, full fuel cans, and storage boxes a lot of 'overlanders' love to show off on their roofs.

View attachment 211231

My RTT simply makes the best sense for my way of travel and adventure.
Well crap. I had my self convinced I didn't need or want one. But after reading this post......back to searching for one!

Reactions: Dusther210

FJ Montana

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Livingston, MT, USA
First Name
Jack
Last Name
Newell
Member #

I first bought one for my Dodge Dakota years ago and was really unimpressed with it. After how poorly it did and how shitty the quality was (Yakima skyrise 2) I returned it and never intended to get another. When I bought my FJ it came with it and it was large and heavy so I put off taking it off from the roof rack. I ended up going on a couple day camping excursion and decided to use it because I was being lazy and my gf didn't want to sleep on the ground. She loved it so it stayed on the roof. As everyone else has mentioned it's not particularly necessary at all but it's nice to have if you want it. My gf isn't super outdoorsy so being able to sleep on a foam mattress up high from wildlife is certainly a plus. I appreciate the ease of setting it up (took some practice) and I've recently really started to camp in alot snowier conditions so that's certainly nice not sleeping on the ground.

Tl;Dr I t's big it's bulky it kills my mpg and its comfortable. Is it necessary? Hell no. Is it fun? For certain situations. Is it worth 1-3k? Hell no. Do I regret having it on my super unnecessary overland rig? Hell no.

samba

Rank V
Investor

Member I

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Swamy
Last Name
Bachu
Member #

well, i guess logically, NONE of this makes sense when you consider that most of us live in perfectly good houses and we chose to spend any amount of money to leave said house and go live like wild wolves for a while....
Haha, well said.