Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Hey everyone, I am planning on doing a few overnighters in the Eastern Sierra's this weekend and I'm curious if any frequent flyers or locals are aware of what is open or closed? I tried to go through other recent threads for some homework first to avoid redundant posts and what I've found is only that Alabama Hills is officially closed however there isn't really any enforcement on the matter. Does anyone have any further information regarding the other [dispersed] sites and trails? Online they all pretty much say closed.

socal66

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Covina, CA, USA
First Name
Carl
Last Name
Sampson
Member #

We had our campground reservations at Grays Meadows cancelled last weekend. It seems that maintained campgrounds have had their shutdown orders extended until the end of June. Aside from the reports of dispersed camping at Alabama Hills possibly being shutdown I am not seeing reports of closures of other dispersed camping areas and would be curious if that is the case. I am planning to disperse camp in Coyote Flats next weekend.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
I think it may be open per BLM California COVID-19 Updates | Bureau of Land Management One the webpage, In the Bishop field office section, it is not listed as closed. Probably best to call the Field office 760-872-5000 . And please report back.
I looked at that page as well, fortunately I didn't see too many closures. Some of my concerns are not necessarily blm specifically, but some of the dispersed ohv sites within the Inyo National Forest which do allow overnight camping. On the Inyo National Forest page, I don't see any information regarding Covid closures so I'd like to think it should all be open? The only restrictions I see are usual fire restriction warnings you would already expect to see.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
We had our campground reservations at Grays Meadows cancelled last weekend. It seems that maintained campgrounds have had their shutdown orders extended until the end of June. Aside from the reports of dispersed camping at Alabama Hills possibly being shutdown I am not seeing reports of closures of other dispersed camping areas and would be curious if that is the case. I am planning to disperse camp in Coyote Flats next weekend.
I'd be surprised if any of the developed campgrounds open anytime soon. Many of the developed sites are so close together anywhere you go. Our plan is to hop around from Crowley Lake to the Laurel Lakes trail. I'm sure if one of these options are open, including Coyote Flats, the rest would be. I would just hate to drive 4-5 hours to be stopped in my tracks. Calling a National Forest rep or BLM rep first for some information as Square Foot suggested would be best.

Kent R

Executive Director
Staff member
Mod Team

Pathfinder III

El Dorado, Ca
First Name
Kent
Last Name
Reynolds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K6KNT
Service Branch
Retired Firefighter
Hey everyone, I am planning on doing a few overnighters in the Eastern Sierra's this weekend and I'm curious if any frequent flyers or locals are aware of what is open or closed? I tried to go through other recent threads for some homework first to avoid redundant posts and what I've found is only that Alabama Hills is officially closed however there isn't really any enforcement on the matter. Does anyone have any further information regarding the other [dispersed] sites and trails? Online they all pretty much say closed.
I would stick with dispersed camping just to make sure. Lots of places over there to camp off grid.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
I would stick with dispersed camping just to make sure. Lots of places over there to camp off grid.
The plan is to definitely stick with dispersed camping, I'm just afraid of any point of entry being restricted or enforced closures to promote further social distancing. As I mentioned, I've heard Alabama Hills being "closed" even though it is dispersed.

Square Foot

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Escondido, California, USA
First Name
steve
Last Name
vandel
Member #

I spoke to the BLM field office today, and dispersed camping in the Alabama Hills is currently allowed. Regular campgrounds are still closed. It was stressed to me to camp in existing spots use existing fire rings rather than create new ones.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
I spoke to the BLM field office today, and dispersed camping in the Alabama Hills is currently allowed. Regular campgrounds are still closed. It was stressed to me to camp in existing spots use existing fire rings rather than create new ones.
I agree with that as well. If there already existing fire rings, why would you want to make more and clutter up the sites. Keep it clean people. Thank you for your help Steve!

Reactions: Square Foot

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

Dispersed camping in the national forests are open. AFAIK, any campground with a bathroom, even if the campground doesn't have hook ups or piped water, is closed and will remain so. Camp fires in Inyo NF are prohibited, but propane fire pits are ok.

I'm fearing the national forests are going to be a sh*t show this summer. If what I've seen in the Mammoth area already is any indication there's going to be a whole lot of people with rented RV's, all sorts of "van lifers", and multitudes of people who raided a Big 5 seconds before they left home just sprawled out on whatever looks "dispersed" to them. Trash and noise and off leash dogs and vehicles parked wherever.. makes me glad to have a vehicle that allows me to get to where most people can't get.

Toywolf

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, Ca
First Name
Kevin
Last Name
Bownds
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6DXL
Dispersed camping in the national forests are open. AFAIK, any campground with a bathroom, even if the campground doesn't have hook ups or piped water, is closed and will remain so. Camp fires in Inyo NF are prohibited, but propane fire pits are ok.

I'm fearing the national forests are going to be a sh*t show this summer. If what I've seen in the Mammoth area already is any indication there's going to be a whole lot of people with rented RV's, all sorts of "van lifers", and multitudes of people who raided a Big 5 seconds before they left home just sprawled out on whatever looks "dispersed" to them. Trash and noise and off leash dogs and vehicles parked wherever.. makes me glad to have a vehicle that allows me to get to where most people can't get.
Unfortunately, that's already more true than many realize. There have already been so many reports about people leaving nature and any sort of "campsite" completely trashed with garbage and fecal matter. It's sad really. I have no problem with people wanting to enjoy the great outdoors after feeling cooped up at home during the outbreak, but have some respect for the land and the other people who use it. Personally, I have no issue with vanlifers or any of the sort. After all it isn't far off from what any of us enjoy doing but just the same I expect them to leave wherever they decide to drop anchor cleaner than it was upon their arrival. I leave for my trip tomorrow but my cousins are already out there right now. They have already informed me that some of the areas have been closed off but not on account of the outbreak but due to a thick collection of snow in certain sections.

Reactions: California Overland

California Overland

Rank II
Launch Member

Contributor III

Roseville, Ca.
Member #

Unfortunately, that's already more true than many realize. There have already been so many reports about people leaving nature and any sort of "campsite" completely trashed with garbage and fecal matter. It's sad really. I have no problem with people wanting to enjoy the great outdoors after feeling cooped up at home during the outbreak, but have some respect for the land and the other people who use it. Personally, I have no issue with vanlifers or any of the sort. After all it isn't far off from what any of us enjoy doing but just the same I expect them to leave wherever they decide to drop anchor cleaner than it was upon their arrival. I leave for my trip tomorrow but my cousins are already out there right now. They have already informed me that some of the areas have been closed off but not on account of the outbreak but due to a thick collection of snow in certain sections.
What parts of the state are your cousins running into snow?