Local Expert, QLD Australia

Influencer I

Redbank Queensland, Australia
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jappe
Member #

How do you like that kitchen setup? I’ve been debating something like that vs a plywood chuck box vs my current setup, which is simply an additional folding table (one for cooking, one for eating) with a storage tote full of kitchen gear.
I like having the multi level shelves. Twin burner on top and single on the side for the kettle. Leaves plenty of room for stuff. And table on the left has built in removable sink.IMG_20191006_135232_057.jpgIMG_20191006_135232_057.jpg

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

After 23 years in the Aust Army, I know that any idiot can be uncomfortable out bush and I never want to sleep on the ground again :frowning::frowning:

I now go camping in luxury :grinning::grinning:

If I am by myself I have an awning tent or for longer trips or if She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO) is with me I take my campertrailer which can go anywhere my Navara goes and I have taken it to some out of the way spots!

My awning tent

2019-07-06 4WD - 003-Edit.jpg

My campertrailer

2018-08-25 4WD - 008-Edit.jpg

Smileyshaun

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Happy Valley, OR, USA
First Name
Shaun
Last Name
Hoffman
Member #

Like a mannnnn on the ground with nothing but leaves and branches for a bed and the fur of the animal I just killed with my bare hands for warmth and food ........
Just kidding a Coleman quickcabin tent , cots and lots of sleeping bags if I’m with the family and a hammock if I’m solo

lukes3415

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Townsville
Member #

I run a BlackWolf Ryebuck swag, It's the perfect size for one person and it fits length ways in the Hilux tray. Given me room to storge equipment and still have the ability to move around on the tray as well.

PCO6

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Newmarket, Ontario
First Name
Stew
Last Name
Beatty
Member #

I camped in small tents ever since I was a kid. Almost always used an air mattress filled to about 75%. Fully aired up and I'd bounce off and wake up on the tent floor in the morning. I used sleeping bags but I never slept inside one zipped up. I find that way too restrictive. I slept under an opened up one. In the cold I'd put a blanket under me and over me if needed (still with a sleeping bag).

Then my wife, when in her mid 50's, decided she wanted to camp too. A few years later and gone are the small tents and for the first time I'm off the ground in a trailer. I have no complaint. A real mattress and a furnace when needed are kind of nice. I ain't getting any younger.

Last edited:

J.W.

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Cincinnati
First Name
J
Last Name
W
Member #

My preference is for a 4 star hotel and room service. Since there aren’t a lot of those out in the country, this old Kelty tent that I’ve had for a couple of decades is my solution. Easy to set up and it stays warm in the cooler months but allows good airflow in the summer. A sleeping bag with a foam mat underneath seems to still work but my back dosen‘t like it as much as it used to. Might make some changes in the spring.

9E222334-BAD6-43B4-988C-36837B3E544B.jpeg

hefty_merv

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Brisbane QLD, Australia
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Hughes
Some interesting sleeping configs, don't know if I could ever get used to a hammock.

For us, it all depends on what we are doing. For the family (2 x adults and 2/3 by kids) where we can't take the trailer its the OZTent Tourer 9Plus with a couple of air beds, eldest is in my old single swag. All the cooking is done from the back of the car with a small table that slides out and gets rid of the clutter around the drawers and fridge. This tent has been serving us well since around 2004, only takes about 4 pegs minimum, heaps of room and can be set up in less than 3mins, then sucking down a cold one.

If we can take the trailer then its a king-size mattress (std canvas camping trailer tent).

Me and the 2/3 boys, just a double swag and/or a single swag. Easy up and easy down nothing to fuss about.

Just me, the double swag. I Really get an awesome sleep in my "Kings" double swag, heaps of room to put your clothes in and not interfere with sleeping or just relaxing. Now with the bigger bag can keep pillows and sleeping bag (queen-size) rolled up in it ready to go anytime.

Reactions: Steve_ohhhhh

Steve_ohhhhh

Local Expert, QLD Australia

Influencer I

Redbank Queensland, Australia
First Name
Steven
Last Name
Jappe
Member #

Reactions: WilhelmB

FishinCrzy

Rank V

Advocate I

South Carolina, USA
First Name
Rob
Last Name
Duncan
Member #

Service Branch
StateHazmatResponder
Hammock

Pro* - It's like being suspended by angels between two clouds, softly being rocked to sleep.
Con - You need at least one tree or a stand to make it work. If you travel with a partner, you have to sleep separate.

*Serious Pro - You get an incredibly flat, comfortable and supple sleeping surface with the right gear. Rain/muddy ground is of no concern and general condensation is much less than a ground tent. They are quick to set up and take up minimal storage space in the rig. A properly hung hammock will leave absolutely no trace anybody was ever there, which is my favorite aspect.

View attachment 109866
I've got a Hennessee Hammock and sometimes it's too comfortable! Kinda tricky with an air mattress and mummy bag. Best not drink too many beers before bedtime.

Reactions: WilhelmB

Temudjin

Rank III
Launch Member

Advocate II

Cashmere QLD 4500 Australia
Member #

When I originally responded to this thread I was waiting to pick up a trailer and have a roof top tent fitted . . . but now it's complete and has done a few longer trips so here it is;
POD Extreme Trailer - DO35 hitch, galvanised frame with roto-moulded plastic tub and lid, independent suspension, 60ltr water tank, 200 watt solar panel on roof feeds 120ah Lithium battery in trailer tool box and runs 40 ltr Engel fridge in back of cruiser.
Bush Company Roof Top Tent - made in South Africa, basically an alloy base and lid with canvas awning and fly screen.
Drifta Square Back Awning - mounted on the trailer giving 270 degree coverage.
Tows great, lots of storage under the lid, fast and easy to set up and comfy to sleep in.
Cruiser & POD Trailer.jpg