Last Name
Gills
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
K4TXN
Service Branch
Army Veteran
Meet "Blanche".

She's pretty in a tough way, but some may think she's ugly.
She's tough enough to take anything you throw at it, but humble enough to take care of me.
She's a bit bold, and doesn't mind standing out in the crowd.
She doesn't mind being functional (off-road and dirty), but likes to shine too. (a wash and wax)
With her reliability, she'll grow old gracefully.

Kinda like "Blanche" from Golden Girls

And "Blanche" is French for White. Helping it fit better.

hf1.jpg

Carry On!

Reactions: Eric W.

Redwin

Rank II
Investor

Member I

Harlem, GA, USA
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Wilson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KD9GPH
Service Branch
US Army
I was thinking hard trying to come up with a name for my 80. After a recent trip to The Gulches with my Dad, I found it.

You see, my 4Runner has part-time 4wd, auto lockers, and a diesel. You pull the transfer case lever, point it, and go.

On the other hand, the 80 is full time 4wd with an electronically locking transfer case differential and axle. I would hit an obstacle and lose traction, hit a button and go a bit further, hit another button and make it through. After a while, I figured out what buttons would do the job before I got into the obstacle. I will soon be installing buttons for high idle and a torque converter lock-up. Pushing the right buttons became our rolling joke for the day.

So, I named the 80 "Buttons" and the 4Runner is "Bruiser". Bruiser was chosen by a friend that I wheel with. IMG_20190714_170501.jpegIMG_20140120_143737_zpsf988788b.jpegFB_IMG_1573393048888.jpeg

Jeepmedic46

Rank V
Launch Member

Member II

Orange, Ma
First Name
William
Last Name
Domey
Member #

Was going to name my 2000 Jeep XJ Cherokee but that name is taken so I”ll have to come up with another.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
My 89 Bronco is named the "Adventure Machine", because even a trip to Walmart can be an adventure.... you never know whats going to break next.
My '00 Dodge Ram is "Ole Blue" because sh is blue.

• Haha
Reactions: Ironhide

Alertchief

Rank V

Advocate III

Henderson, Nevada, United States
First Name
David
Last Name
mountain
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Alertchief
You always see the Jeep folks with their vehicles named on their hoods...names like "Dominator" or "Slayer"....and it got me wondering if other people, jeep or otherwise, have named their rigs. So....

...Whats your rig's name and why did you name it that?

Mine is Caird, named after the small boat James Caird. The James Caird was a 22.5ft life boat that arguably saved the lives of Ernest Shackleton and the crew of the Endurance in 1916. The Endurance was trapped in the ice in the Weddell Sea of Antarctica and eventually sank. While the overall story of the Endurance is quite a good one, the Caird is known for the open ocean journey from Elephant Island to South Georgia, 800 miles in rough seas (at times 100ft swells) and no navigation except stars and luck. When you consider the size of the ocean, the size of South Georgia, and the fact that past that is just the open Atlantic, it was a miracle they landed on South Georgia.

In the spirit of overlanding, and the fact that my rig is my life boat, I named my 4Runner Caird.
I have two identical 2019 JL`s in Mojito green. One is Kermit, ( fiance named lol) and the other is Jolly Rancher ( takes me back to sour apple candy). A color that just makes me smile.

Attachments

KRose

Rank IV
Benefactor
Launch Member

Contributor II

La Grande, OR, USA
First Name
Kallie
Last Name
Rose
Member #

My 89 Bronco is named the "Adventure Machine", because even a trip to Walmart can be an adventure.... you never know whats going to break next.
My '00 Dodge Ram is "Ole Blue" because sh is blue.
And my 07 Ford Focus daughter calls it blue berry and one of our friends calls it a f****us and I call it Ford well we all know why it circled it problems it’s gone through 3 alternators in the 5 yrs I owned it.
But the mean green adventure machine I call it our problem child. My ford picked him up hahaha

• Love
Reactions: Anak and M Rose

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Yea I don’t know where we woulda been without ”Blueberry “ that day.

Labor Day Weekend 2019:

Kallie and I decided it best if I took the our kids and their boyfriend and girlfriend to the lake for a 4 day fishing and camping trip at one of the reservoirs here in Eastern Oregon. That Friday Morning, my 17 year old son (at the time) and I loaded up ”The Adventure Machine” with all our tents and gear needed to survive a 4 day trip to the lake, and hooked my little 12’ aluminum boat up to the back. We got home and packed up the food and the remaining clothing and such and loaded the 5 of us into the Bronco to hit the road.
We pulled out of the drive waving to Kallie with huge grins On our face for the epic camping trip of 2019. The excitement was overflowing from the rig as we made one last stop at the gas station to fuel up for the trip before hitting the interstate.
2 hours later , after many laughs and excited kids screeches, we pull into the camp ground and set up our tents. The kids want to hurry up and get into the water, so I try to get the boat to the dock. Just 2 weeks before the dock was floating on the ramp, but this day the ramp was about 40 feet past the end of the dock, and the water was still another 15 feet from that. I backed the boat down to the waters edge and sank the trailer tires to the hubs in the soft mud. I then messed around for about an hour trying to figure out how to get my boat in the water before I finally gave up knowing that the boat would be even harder to get back onto the trailer.
I started to pull back up the dock when the Adventure Machine just wouldn’t budge. I shifted down into low range to try again. Still nothing. I got out and looked around to realize I hadn’t locked in my hubs (my bad). I locked the hubs in and after a little sliding around, got traction and came right up the ramp.
I decided to just park in the boat parking area so I could watch the kids swim and play while I called Kallie to let her know we were ok.
When I turned on my phone I saw I had missed several calls,from my dear wife, so i frantically called her back.
When she answered the phone i could tell she had been crying. I asked her what was wrong. She told me our motorhome had lost power, and she has been without power since about half an hour since I left. I had her check the simple stuff, and was trying to explain how to check the harder things, but she was too frustrated (love ya darlin,) so we made plans for her to go stay the weekend with my dad.
About an hour later she calls me back saying she made it to my dads. Her voice told me something was terribly wrong. I asked her and pried her until she finally told my that my younger brother had been in a terrible motorcycle accident down in Las Vegas and they didn’t know if he was going to live through the night.
I had Kallie put my dad on the phone and the three of us talked it out and said it was probably best if I stayed with the kids at the lake for the weekend as planned so our daughter wouldn’t worry so much about her uncle.
I got off the phone and gathered the kids around me as I relayed the information about my brother‘s wreck to them. As soon as I was done speaking my daughter burst into tear, while my son got all angry at my brother. Both responses were expected. Their significant others took them back to camp to console them as well as find something to take their minds off the tragedy.
My son decides it’s dinner time.
I decided for this camping trip since the weather was supposed to be very nice that I would leave my camp stove at home and just cook over the camp fire. So my son gets a hole bunch of sticks together and makes a “Dad” sized camp fire while I was watching. No sooner did I turn around to grab the cooler of food than he hand my daughters boyfriend through all the wood onto the fire Trying to catch the whole Forrest on fire.
The girls and I ran down to the lake with buckets to dowse the almost out of control fire out. I scold the boys. Then we eat cold sandwiches for dinner.
Finally the Teenaged kids are ready for bed. The boys crawl into one tent while the girls into another. I am beat, but I stayed up for another couple hours enjoying the peace and quite.

Adventure day 2.

I wake up early to my little mutt puppy growli and carrying on. I try to calm her down, but she only gets louder. I grumpily get out of my sleeping bag and get dressed to take her out side. I end up walk-in here halfway around the lake before she does her business and I can return to camp.

My son must have heard us leave, because when I got back to camp there was a small fire going, and my perc was loaded and just about finished. I sat down on one of the camp chairs just as my son emerged from the woods behind camp with more fire wood. He grabbed a Gatorade as I poured my first cup of black magic goodness and we sat back and talked for quite a while about what we like to call “Stupid Laramie Talks”. These talks aren’t really s, but he has some real hair brained conversations at times. I could write a full comedy just on his stories.

After my second cup of coffee, my son decides he wants to surprise the girls with breakfast. He goes and wakes up his sister’s boyfriend and fills him in on the plan. The poor guy complains that he doesn’t know how to cook, and it’s a bad idea, and its too early and every other excuse the kid could come up with. My son gets a shit eating grin and says “I don’t know how to cook either, but we ARE going to make eggs, and flack japs, hash browns, and and what are those long round skinny things called... ohh yea... smashage.“
Rosco, the nickname I gave my daughter notboyfriend boyfriend, asks with a weird look on his face, “ Um Laramie, what are flack japs, and Smashage?”
” You know cow boy flack japs... flower water eggs, and stuff mixed up and cooked In the skillet. And smashage is pig meat ground up and put into pig (I can’t actually use what he said here to keep the story G rated)” Like I said, always an adventure with that boy.
”ohh pancakes and sausage, and sausage isn’t put into pig things” Roscoe replied.
Well the two boys tore through the grub supplies like to hyenas tearing through last months zebra kill. There was flower and eggs, and potatoes from there to home and back. I wish I would have taken a picture of those boys as they looked up from their accomplishments with flower and egg from head to toe.
After fussing around for nearly an hour they finally had breakfast served and woke up the girls.
The girls took one look at their plates and grabbed bowls and some stale dry cereal I had left in the back of the adventure machine from one of the more recent adventures. They didn’t want to take a chance on the boys cooking skills.
“Here Dad, you know what you always say, we cant let this go to waste” Laramie says as he hands me one of the uneaten plates of fried slop.
I got to give the boy credit... it looked like a bear ate a porcupine then pooped it out onto a blueberry bush that had a quail nest under it. But I’d didn’t taste half bad. Just needed about a bottle of Tabasco and a hint of maple syrup, and I was able to gag about half the skillet down.

The lake adventure

After breakfast every one wanted to go to the lake. The girls changed into swim suits and put their shorts and ts over the top, while the boys decided sweat pant and hoodies would be fine.
Now is probably the time to mention my son lives to ride a skateboard or box bike. After too many close calls on bikes, I made him stick with skateboards. He insisted on bringing his trick board to the lake saying he would ride it on the paved roads, and be very good and not do anything dumb.
Yup, that’s right, Lake, skateboard , pavement, dog on a leash, what isn’t dumb about this combination. As the rest of the kids take the trail to the waters edge, Laramie decides he is going to take the dog with his skateboard along the paved road to the boat dock. Well the puppy wasn’t having any of that and took off like gunshot chasing the other kids down the dirt path with Laramie screaming behind her in tow. The louder he screamed to stop the faster that puppy ran.
about half way down the path the skateboard hit a rock or something and came to a dead stop sending my son flying through the grass.
The puppy got loose and realized she was loose and ran strait to the water.
Now everything gets a little hazy as several things happen at once.
First, Laramie gets up and gets back on his board and tries to skate down the dirt path to rest of the kids. Second, Roscoe tries to catch the dog and slips in the mud and slides face first into the lake. Third the girls are scared because of Laramie’s screaming and startled by Roacoe’s fall, that my daughter falls backwards off of the rock she had been perched on, and Laramie’s girlfriend was laughing so hard she tripped over her own feet. meanwhile the puppy took of swimming for deep water chasing a fish.
The kids get all gathered back up, and decide to take one of the inflatable boats out to catch the puppy. I think looking back on it now, that the puppy was just waiting for this to happen. They launch the boat, and start paddling towards the puppy and every time the got close she would take off in a different direction, barking at them every time they got to far behind her.
Finally after what seamed like for ever, I decided to drive around the lake to one of the other boat launches to launch my tinny.
I start theAdventure Machine, and she screams to life. Literally. It sound like a banshee got stuck under the hood. Well great I think to myself as I shut the engine back off. I pop open the hood looking for signs of bad bearings in my water pump, or belt tensioner. I cant find anything out of the ordinary so I close the hood and start my Bronco once again. And once again that damn banshee was screaming at me again. I decide to go a head and make my way to the ramp and get the boat into the water and deal with the banshee later.
As I’m getting the boat into the water, I forgot to undo the rear tie downs, and swamp the boat. I did however remember to install the drain plug first though. So I pull the boat back up the ramp, pull the drain, and let the water come out. Then I took the straps off, and backed into the water once more, and got the boat u loaded. I tied the boat to a rock and dug the anchor into the sand where I could easily reach it when I got back from parking The Adventure Machine.
When I came back, the boat had so now gotten untied and a wake from a passing boat drifted my tin is out away from the bank just out of reach. Time for a swim, and Dad don’t like swimming.
I get to the boat and climb in. I fiddle around with the old ‘55 Johnson 10 horse and get her purring. Engage the forward gear, and slowly open the throttle as I head to where the kids and puppy are playing chase. I get close to them and realize pup is swimming at me full speed so I shut off the engine, and coast up beside the pup. She’s happy to see me and wants in the boat, so I put her in. Then I try to start the old seahorse again, and again, and again... a dozen or so pulls later and I finally get the motor running, and get the boat on plane and start heading for my favorite fishing hole on the lake.
I ended up fishing the lake from one end to the other and back again for the rest of the day with out so much as a bite.

Night 2

not much to report here. The kids made new friends who came into camp when the smelled the burning sugar for s’mores. Then it was bedtime . But the kids got this grand idea that they didn’t want to sleep in the tents and wanted to sleep under the stars. They were super surprised when I agreed they could. I told them that i prefer sleeping under the stars, and I joined em.

Day 3

this day was mostly a repeat of yesterday, just through in some hiking, and typical teenage shenanigans.

Night 3,
not much happened here either, the kids were exhausted, and hungry so made burgers and went to bed under the stars again

Day 4

Time to pack up and go home. My kids know that on my last day I like to pack up camp early so we can enjoy one last day at our beautiful camp site without the stress of it getting late and rushing to get everything done. So we pack everything into the Bronco and I drive back to the other boat ramp all the while the banshee is screaming bloody murder.
I decide to take the boats for one last cruise around the lake before putting tinny back on the trailer and the inflatables inside tinny.
I am drifting tinny around the lake when I see my son in his yak cruising up to me with His fishing pole. I slow down and let him catch up and the two of us spend the next several hours fishing and chatting away. Just as we were about to cash in and say it’s time to go, the fish started biting.
we ended up limiting out on several species of fish . They were hitting so hard that the other kids joined in as well. We fished for probably an hour before we had to call it quits.

I loaded the boats up and hit the road. That banshee just wouldn’t shut up.
i got about 5 miles out of the closest town when the banshee finally let loose. I heard her get thumped in the head and she shut up. I looked over at Laramie’s girlfriend and said, “you hear that?”
”Hear what?” She asked
”Trouble“ I replied
she looked at me kind of funny and asked “What kind of trouble”
just then steam started pouring out from under the hood and the steering got real tight.
”Wel kids, looks like this is the end of the trip, we just blew a belt”
My daughter says, “ Its not that bad dad, it’s a belt, besides you can fix anything”
”Not this time“ I say as I pull to the side of the road.
I call Kallie As I open the hood to inspect damages. “Darling, I am broke down out here at mile post 9 just out side of Baker on HWY 11, I need you to go into town and stop at Orilys and pick up a belt”
”Yes dear, they will have the right belt there belt there, and it is already paid for. Yes darling , they know your coming, because I had Laramie call while I was on the phone with you”.
2 hours go by as we sit along side the road waiting for the belt.
Kallie shows up and I try to get the belt on. It’s the wrong one. They sent the correct belt for my rig, but I had to get a longer belt to bypass the failed smog pump. It’s too late now to get another belt, so I had the kids load up into the car, and I limped the Bronco down the road a bout a 1/4 mile to a weigh station to park it for the night.

the next day and 5 belts later I get the correct belt and get the Adventure Machine back home.

• Haha
Reactions: KRose