What is your must cook meal or must have food for camping.

• HTML tutorial

Schmack

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Virginia
Member #

Corned beef hash with eggs over easy and toast for breakfast. Usually, I do them on my camp grill but my skottle just came in so I'm itching to do it up on that.

I've tried making little breakfast pies out of them with those cheap camp pie maker things but my results have varied.

NightCrawler

Rank VI
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Moreno Valley, Ca
First Name
Steven
Last Name
DeLong
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7DTH
Corned beef hash with eggs over easy and toast for breakfast. Usually, I do them on my camp grill but my skottle just came in so I'm itching to do it up on that.

I've tried making little breakfast pies out of them with those cheap camp pie maker things but my results have varied.
Corned beef hash...yum!!!

rlhydn

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

I usually like to try something new if going away for just a weekend.

Last time included fire cooked corn cobs (new) and steaks with a veggie hash from the frypan (faithful favourite)

Long tours always include a bag or two of precooked stew or casserole amongst the fresh produce as an option with rice, etc.

Reactions: Red Beard

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I found that if you re season the pie ovens like you would with any cast iron they work way better. My results have also been hit and miss, but I did make pretty decent calzones using pillsbury pizza dough from a tube and also made good turnovers type things using the same dough with canned cherry pie filling. I also used the dehydrated hash browns in the little milk cartons in the pie ovens with plenty of spray oil and they turned out good. I mostly just bring them out when the kids go because they get a kick out of cooking their own meal in them.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I have a reputation for cooking for the gang when our Jeep group goes out. Everybody turns up their nose at the breakfast when I mention it if they haven't had it before, but I get tons of repeat customers. I thin slice and crispy pan fry potatoes with garlic salt, then I slice a can of Spam into shoestring slices and brown them. When those are done, I put them back together and crack about a dozen eggs into it and scramble. I can feed a dozen peeps out of my one iron skillet. Add a pot of hot coffee and some toast or hot flour tortillas and all is fine.

I won first place in the Oklahoma State Fair 40 years ago for my scratch made spicy BBQ sauce (it has no tomatoes). I split and grill polska kielbasa and dredge them through the BBQ sauce and back on the grill for supper. I like to take home made pototoe salad to go with it.

Last edited:

CalTexMex

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Fremont, Ca
Member #

Potato-egg-bacon-cheese and guacamole breakfast tacos are a staple for us when we go out. Make it fresh in the morning. Gonna try French toast on our next outing. Will be made from scratch as well! Sandwich for lunch cuz we really don't get too hungry when on the trail. Dinner is either fajitas, ribeye steaks w/potatoes or the classic burgers and dogs. Gotta have meat for din din.

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate II

No
Member #

I heard about someone making breakfast tacos out of pancakes with pulled pork filling and a little maple syrup the other day. I will be trying this soon... possibly with a fried egg on top? I vacuum seal pulled pork to bring for sandwiches when camping all the time, but this could be epic.

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

Overland USA

Rank VII
Launch Member

Steward I

Rolling Meadows, IL
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Bogan
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJC877
What is that one meal that you must cook on a camping trip?
Also if you must have a certain food item for travel to a particular location what is it?

My must cook meal is my "Trail Tacos".
View attachment 29452

Also I won't go to the beach without a peach. Something my grandfather started 30+ years ago when were kids and it stuck.
Hot dogs and Hamburgers do it for me.

Reactions: Red Beard