What is your go too overlanding photography kit/setup? What is in your Camera bag?

• HTML tutorial

Travis P

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Prater
Member #

Service Branch
Navy vet
Currently I own a Nikon D5600 with the kit lens and a 70-300 but I'm looking to get into the full frame game soon. As with a Canon rebel I had years back I've found I really don't like these entry level cameras and lenses. Right now I'm going back and forth on either the Canon R6 or the Sony A7 III. Which will probably come down to which bee is in my bonnet when I click, "add to cart" lol

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

Everything in the Jeep every day. I did this to document ALL my tools for insurance. But camera wise, I have an oold Nikon DSLR, an 18-100 zoom, a 70-300 zoom, a Macro, a basic flash I never use. I've thoght about a follow me drone but that would be for others. I take pics just for me.

Plus an extra card. I went to India for 2 weeks. I took 4 cards plus an extra battery. I took 3000 pictures with out downloading or recharging. If you leave the LED Screen OFF, It is amazing how long the battery lasts.

DSCN1250.jpeg

Reactions: 5280Ranger

Cypress

Rank V

Off-Road Ranger I

Goose Creek, SC, USA
First Name
Allen
Last Name
Murray
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRJY639
I just picked up a Sony A7ii with the 24-70 and a nifty fifty. I'll add a 70-200 to that before long. My last camera that wasn't a point-and-shoot or a cell phone was a Pentax K1000 about 30 years ago. I'm going to have to learn how to drive a real camera again.

Travis P

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Dallas, TX, USA
First Name
Travis
Last Name
Prater
Member #

Service Branch
Navy vet
Well.... I found a used Sony A7RIV for a good deal and pulled the trigger on that and some G-Master glass. I've always enjoyed doing landscape photography but trying to do wildlife with an entry DSLR was such an exercise in frustration. My wife and I have a trip to lake Ray Roberts planned next weekend and I'll be sure to take some shots!

NathanPAnderson

Rank IV
Launch Member

Advocate III

Northeast Arkansas
First Name
Nathan
Last Name
Anderson
Member #

Nikon Z50 and I rent lenses as I need them. Typically the 24-70 f2.8 or f4 if I don't need the wider aperture, 50mm f1.8, or 35mm f1.8 primes. The body and lenses are small and light, easy to fit into a backpack. I also use a DJI Mini 2 for some aerial photography. Also very small and lightweight.

JHosking

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Coeburn, VA, USA
First Name
Joe
Last Name
Hosking
Member #

Service Branch
Navy veteran
I use a Canon 7D Mk II with a Canon 50 mm f2.8, 18-55 for, 70-300 f4 Picking up a Sigma 150 -600 f5 contemporary next week

Reactions: SS308

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
I use a Canon 7D Mk II with a Canon 50 mm f2.8, 18-55 for, 70-300 f4 Picking up a Sigma 150 -600 f5 contemporary next week
I have a similar setup. 7D II, 5D III, nifty 50, fisheye, 24-70 f2.8L, 70-200 f2.8L, 400 f5.6L , 1.4X and 2X teleconverters.
The usual monopod and tripods.
I like the 7D for wildlife (little better fps) and the 5D for landscape (full frame). Wish I could afford the 400 2.8L, but the wife says the house payment is more important...:tonguewink:
I have rented the 600 4.0L, and the 800 5.6L and have taken phenomenal shots with them (Bison, bears, wolfs etc...) where getting close is not an option. Another set of lenses I can't afford...lol!

Reactions: JHosking

North40overland

Rank VII

Influencer I

Sugar Hill, GA, USA
First Name
Mike
Last Name
Nelson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS - WRME413
I am no pro so for me it is about capturing content. I use a DJI Phantom 4 Pro 2.0, Mavic Air, and a DJI Pocket 2. They work pretty well and the quality is pretty good for what I am looking for.

DJI_0047.jpg

Reactions: SS308 and TSO_NJ

North American Sojourner

Rank VI

Influencer I

Mid-Missouri, MO, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Zimmer
Member #

Service Branch
USN (ret)
Sony A6600 for me. I've used Canon, Nikon, Mamiya and the Sony feels, performs and produces the best shots for the money. I'm prime with a Sigma 16mm and have a Sony 135 zoom also. Sooner or later I'll get a huge zoom and 105mm but I'm really happy with this mirrorless.
ZimIMG-1563.JPG

Last edited:

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

Did you try the A6600? Almost the same camera but cheaper. Love mine but I have small hands.
Zim
I tried them all at Mike's Camera. The Canon felt the best. I like being able to get a full purchase on the grip. I am, however, very happy with my camera. It is far better than I am and gives me a chance to improve. I really need to take a class soon. I'm as good as I am getting on my own.

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I got into overlanding because of photography.

Digital:
- Canon EOS R
- RF 15-35 f/2.8
- RF 24-105 f/4
- RF 70-200 f/4
- GoPro Hero 7 black.

Film:
- Mamiya RB67 Pro s
- Sekor C 50mm
- Sekor C 127mm
- Sekor C 180mm
- 2x Tele converter
I have both a waist level view finder and a AE prism, but prefer the good old Pentax Digital Spot.

Lee filters with a polarizer, grads and NDs go with which ever kit I'm using.
I was a professional photographer for years. I loved my RB67's. I had the 37,50,90,127,180,250, and 360. I was young and backpacked with a body, 4 lenses, and 4 backs. I have boxes of negs. I still wish I had it back and could get the processing done easily. Even the pro labs around have shut down.

Reactions: photosubieoverland

photosubieoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I was a professional photographer for years. I loved my RB67's. I had the 37,50,90,127,180,250, and 360. I was young and backpacked with a body, 4 lenses, and 4 backs. I have boxes of negs. I still wish I had it back and could get the processing done easily. Even the pro labs around have shut down.
Luckily I have a pro lab a few miles away here in LA that develops same day. I actually got in to large format, bought the Intrepid camera because of the small size and light weight. Still have the RB67 kit but it does weight a ton. I have a 645 Pro kit too, although the negatives are small its a nice size to hike with.

Reactions: old_man

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
Luckily I have a pro lab a few miles away here in LA that develops same day. I actually got in to large format, bought the Intrepid camera because of the small size and light weight. Still have the RB67 kit but it does weight a ton. I have a 645 Pro kit too, although the negatives are small its a nice size to hike with.
I still have a Toyo 4x5 Field with several SuperAngulon lenses. It just costs so much to use it. I am running a 25mpix Nikon and looking to upgrade to a 50mpix soon.

Reactions: photosubieoverland

old_man

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Loveland, Colorado
First Name
Tom
Last Name
Houston
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WØNUT Extra
I still have a Toyo 4x5 Field with several SuperAngulon lenses. It just costs so much to use it. I am running a 25mpix Nikon and looking to upgrade to a 50mpix soon.
I can post process most advantages of a view camera into my digital images such as the lense board rise but it it hard to do the tilt to control the plane of focus. New digitals tend to allow you a greater depth of field, but in some instances I want less and to tilt the plane for effect.