What is your go too overlanding photography kit/setup? What is in your Camera bag?

• HTML tutorial

gonzoy5

Rank V
Launch Member

Builder I

Miami, Fl
First Name
Eric
Last Name
Gonzalez
Member #

I've gone small. No more backpacks full of gear. Went Olympus for the size years ago and can fit everything in Domke Satchel. I stick to my Em-5 Mkiii, 17mm 1.8 for evening around the Campfire pics, Then bring the 12-40 2.8 Pro or 14-150mm 4-5.6 II (yes it's a kit lens but big range and weather sealed). Will eventually jump on the 100-400mm just because I haven't had a superzoom in ages. Like everything, prices on these have shot up since Covid so will wait on a deal. Oh and GoPro is usually not too far because it's easy and it's a tank.

Walt_Felix

Rank I

Enthusiast I

East Hartland, CT
First Name
Walter
Last Name
Felix
I generally tend to overpack the bags, when traveling. I run with Canon bodies a 5D Mark 4, 90D, and an older 400D. A bunch of various Canon lenses as well as a full collection of Lensbaby optics. A GoPro Hero 9, 2 Insta360 (One X and X2) and a DJI Drone.

Reactions: SS308

Mustang03

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Green Valley, AZ
First Name
Bryan
Last Name
Lavender
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KE5ATG
Service Branch
U.S. Marine Corps
Nikon guy here. D600 with a fairly wide selection of Nikkor glass. Use a Cinetics rail for time lapse. Backup is a pair of GoPro Hero 4/5 black. Since I'm getting older, I can't hump it as far from the truck as I used to , so I can keep a good selection of gear nearby. Photos and video is one thing that keeps us getting out there!

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I mentioned my lightweight kit before, but I have to add my iPhone 11 to the mix. The ultra wide angle lens is FUN! I am amazed at the images from it. I was going to move to a note for work, but I cannot since I will lose my awesome camera. Damn apple.

Reactions: Mustang03

Otts

Rank II

Contributor III

Santa Cruz, CA, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Reddy
Member #

Thinking about all of the unused camera gear floating around my house I really need to start purging things. Like many others, I've gravitated to lighter weight over the years.

I went to Olympus EM1-Mk II about 4 years ago and usually only bring 2 lenses with me when travelling (if i actually decide to bring the Olympus at all). The 12-100mm f4 PRO (24-200mm eqiv) lens is always attached to the camera and is a great all around lens. But I also bring a 25mm f/1.4 (50mm equiv) for any lower light / camping situations.

The camera that changed everything for me was when I bought the Fuji X100F. While fixed focal at 35mm, that camera went everywhere with me. So light and so fun to shoot with made me use it all of the time. Having shot over 7000 pictures with it I started getting GAS. I ended up getting the most ridiculous fixed focal length camera, the Leica Q2, and I am completely in love. Stupidly expensive, amazing picture quality, and built like a tank.

What do I primarily shoot with? The Q2
What do I have for backup or zoom? The EM1-MkII
What else do I rock? iPhone 11 Pro Max (not as in love with the camera as many), DJI Mavic Air 2, and GoPro 9.

I have to admit that I HATE editing videos - not sure I have the patience for it. :-)

Reactions: gonzoy5

nmproia

Rank I

Contributor II

Atlanta, GA, USA
First Name
Nick
Last Name
Proia
I bring around my all around bag on my trips. Has a D750, 50mm 1.8(recently upgraded to FF, need to invest in more lenses), a couple batteries, cheap tripod, remote shutter etc. Then I also bring along a GoPro Hero+, Hero 4, and a DJI Phantom Pro 4.

I wish I could use the Nikon more on the actual trails but it's just not practical with me being the driver and camera guy and everything else going on.

Reactions: Otts

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

I'm by no means a photographer or videographer but I'm sure having fun learning.

I'm hauling around a Sony A7iii with a 16-35 F4 lens and K&F variable ND filter.
The GoPro 7 is in the 'indestructible' case for the on/under vehicle shots.
A GoPro 8 is generally in the hands of my better half.
DJI Mavic Air 2 grabs those aerials for us.
And the Pixel 3 still takes some great pics.
DSC01827.jpg

Reactions: SS308 and ExPara

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
my husky stepped on my dell notebook I use for editing on the go, and messed up the screen. I put the order in for a new inspiron 14 2 in 1 with a core i7, 16gb ram and a 512gb ssd. I am replace the ram with 64gb of ram, and a 4tb nvme ssd. Should be a decent editing platform for a nice small mobile system. I got the pen included with it as well.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Just a little follow up on my travel setup. I have been talking to someone who does ALOT of resolve video editing and I have a add on system for editing while on location. I have a 2 slot NVME drive enclosure with 2 1 tb ssds that plug into my USB C port. I have them set up as project and cache drives while working in resolve remotely. I plug in my 4tb HDD to save the finished projects I am working on. Overall it's a great setup and compact as well.

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
Canon guy here. Numerous Canon bodies and L lenses. I'm the opposite with most people here, I like big lenses for long/wide, for wild animal/landscape shots.
I laugh at the people using iPhones for pictures. Good luck enlarging them to any useful size to print. I do a lot printing at extreme sizes with extreme clarity. MHO

5280Ranger

Rank V

Traveler III

Colorado
First Name
Brandon
Last Name
Brandon
Member #

I shoot the Canon EOS RP with a Canon 24-105 f4-7.1 (kit lens), a Sigma 100-400 (ef mount with adapter), and a Canon 50mm f1.8. I'd really like to upgrade to a 16-35 for landscapes and a 24-70 f2.8 for the better aperture. BUT... I am a hobbyist, so it's hard to justify the cost. I might go with a Tamron 24-70 as it's 1/2 the cost of the Canon.

I have a few bags that I use at this point. I have the Douche Bags (brand name) with the CIA insert. This bag works great, and is stylish. I have a hiking bag I bought on Facebook marketplace. I need to get a hardcase to pack in the truck, something like Pelican, but probably Harbor Freight brand.

SS308

Rank V

Advocate I

Cheyenne, WY, USA
First Name
Randy
Last Name
Miller
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KF7QFH
Service Branch
USMC
I shoot the Canon EOS RP with a Canon 24-105 f4-7.1 (kit lens), a Sigma 100-400 (ef mount with adapter), and a Canon 50mm f1.8. I'd really like to upgrade to a 16-35 for landscapes and a 24-70 f2.8 for the better aperture. BUT... I am a hobbyist, so it's hard to justify the cost. I might go with a Tamron 24-70 as it's 1/2 the cost of the Canon.

I have a few bags that I use at this point. I have the Douche Bags (brand name) with the CIA insert. This bag works great, and is stylish. I have a hiking bag I bought on Facebook marketplace. I need to get a hardcase to pack in the truck, something like Pelican, but probably Harbor Freight brand.
I used the Tamron 24-70 for a couple years, it's a great lens. I also like the nifty 50...:sunglasses:

Reactions: 5280Ranger

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
Nikon Z6 II with Nikkor 14-24 f/2.8, 24-70 f/4. Pelican case. Also use DJI Mavic Pro 2. DJI Ronin RS 2 gimble.

Enthusiast III

First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
Canon guy here. Numerous Canon bodies and L lenses. I'm the opposite with most people here, I like big lenses for long/wide, for wild animal/landscape shots.
I laugh at the people using iPhones for pictures. Good luck enlarging them to any useful size to print. I do a lot printing at extreme sizes with extreme clarity. MHO
Agree 100 percent. Cameras on phones are toys. I am on a couple of forums where people recommend phones for point and shoots. NOPE. Zoom in even 10 percent from the original shot and it looks like a crappy paint by number. My x10 destroys ANY phone in image quality. A real point and shoot camera.