What is your go too overlanding photography kit/setup? What is in your Camera bag?

• HTML tutorial

LD5050

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Longview, Texas, USA
First Name
Neil
Last Name
Armstrong
Member #

I stepped away from the hobby a few years ago, but am considering getting into the Fuji XT series with IBIS. Also trying to research the best used digital back for an inherited Hasselblad 503cw. I would love to start taking it with us on our excursions.

Reactions: Road

Enthusiast III

Grand Falls-Windsor, NL, Canada
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Adams
I am at the point where I am have great fun with old point and shoots. I am making money too. I just found an old canon a570IS that I gave the wife years ago. Popped a new card and batteries in it and I am having a blast with it. The iphone is a great tool as well. We both have 11's and they are so much fun to use.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

I used a Nikonos lV in the film era. Now a Nikon AW130. Waterproof to 99’, shock resistant 7’. A nice action camera for stills and video. Diving, exploring, bushwacking, boating, hiking, it’s been to hell and back never missed a beat. I have pulled off some nice shots with this little gem. Being a retired Broadcast Tech I had access to some pretty awesome equipment to “field test” here is a pix of my bench. BD93F0D5-2CC3-42E1-9AD4-5F0E75132481.jpeg

Joey83

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer II

Sandnes, Norway
First Name
Joachim
Last Name
Sandven
Member #

In my camera bag right now is a Canon 7D with a Canon 18-135 and a Canon 70-200 f/2.8 manual focus lens, a Sony HX-90V and a Sony RX100 m1 compact cameras, those are good enough for me.

I also always bring my phone with me, in this case a Samsung S20 5G.

Update: I rarely use any of my photography gear anymore, there's nothing I want to photograph.

Last edited:
Reactions: SS308 and Road

outofdoors4x4

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Newcastle, New South Wales, Australia
First Name
Johnny
Last Name
Overland
Member #

In my bag right now is a canon 77d with a ef 10-22mm lens love those wise lenses. Rode video mic. Ronin s gimbal. Manfrotto tripod. GoPro hero 4 I don’t really use it. Thanking of upgrading to a canon 90d but just so I can do some better filming.

Olbrjam1

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger III

Northwest, Canutillo, Texas 79835, United States
First Name
JAMES
Last Name
OLBRISCH
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KC0WKY
I have the worst habit of taking my whole kit with its about 40 LBS if it's 10 ha! And then I forget to take it out, my wife's gotten better at reminding me to take it put and use it... I am a first class Geardo so it's my own fault. I carry everything in a 60L lowpro bag I carry my Canon 5D3 and a 7D2 And lenses 16-24, 24-70, 70-200 150-500 a 100mm macro and a 50mm... I know I know too much crap lol

Attachments

Reactions: Boort

Nomad164

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Rockingham, Western Australia, Australia
First Name
Karl
Last Name
Fehlauer
Member #

My camera gear is as follows:

1. Canon 6D
2. Canon 7D
3. Canon M50 (for video)
4. 2 x DJI Osmo Actions
5. Fimi X8 SE 2020 drone
6. Canon 24 - 105 mm F4 lens
7. Canon 17 - 40 mm F4 lens
8. Canon 15 - 85mm F3.5 - 5.6 lens (for video)
9. Canon 50 mm F1.8 lens
10. Samyang 14 mm F2.8 lens
11. Sigma 70 - 200 mm F2.8 lens
12. Viltrox EF-M - EF adaptor (for video)
13. Viltrox 2 x tele converter
14. Neewer F100 monitor (for video)
15. 3 x tripods
16. Multiple batteries, chargers, cables and many other accessories

Thankfully my wife isn't on this forum :tonguewink::tonguewink::tonguewink:

Karl

Reactions: SS308

Tundracamper

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Tuscaloosa, Alabama, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Shepard
Member #

I used to have a couple DSLRs and high end Nikon lenses. It all got to be too much. Now, I roll with:

- iPhone 11 Pro
- GoPro Hero 9 and accessories

If I think I’ll have time to slow down to take stills, I’ll add:
- Nikon Coolpix A (probably my favorite camera)
- Flash

And, if I have even more time or am on a longer trip:
- Nikon D700
- Nikon 200 f/2
- Zeiss 100 f/2

photosubieoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I got into overlanding because of photography.

Digital:
- Canon EOS R
- RF 15-35 f/2.8
- RF 24-105 f/4
- RF 70-200 f/4
- GoPro Hero 7 black.

Film:
- Mamiya RB67 Pro s
- Sekor C 50mm
- Sekor C 127mm
- Sekor C 180mm
- 2x Tele converter
I have both a waist level view finder and a AE prism, but prefer the good old Pentax Digital Spot.

Lee filters with a polarizer, grads and NDs go with which ever kit I'm using.

Reactions: old_man and Ubiety

DharmaBum

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Denver, Colorado, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Sniezak
Member #

@photosubieoverland before I “downsized” I use to run a Mamiya RB67. I had a 90mm & 127mm. I loved that camera, but the hulk-like size just got to be too cumbersome on trips. My Pentax is by no means small, but being able to hand hold shots on the fly is massive. Regardless, I always love seeing others rock the RB, kudos!

photosubieoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carter
Member #

@DharmaBum I was on the fence between the RB and the Pentax67, but the large viewfinder and removable film backs sold me. I usually have two bags, a Billingham 445 with my Canon kit and a backlight 36l with my RB kit. Depending on how far I have to walk from the car and what I feel like shooting determines which bag I take. If I shoot anything hand held and play tourist, I just take the Canon with the 24-105 by itself.
Nice to see other medium format film shooters on the forum!

Reactions: Ubiety

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@DharmaBum I was on the fence between the RB and the Pentax67, but the large viewfinder and removable film backs sold me. I usually have two bags, a Billingham 445 with my Canon kit and a backlight 36l with my RB kit. Depending on how far I have to walk from the car and what I feel like shooting determines which bag I take. If I shoot anything hand held and play tourist, I just take the Canon with the 24-105 by itself.
Nice to see other medium format film shooters on the forum!
I have a love/hate relationship with my EF 24-105 f/4 lens; not the sharpest in the stable but hard to beat that range. I end up using it a lot.
If I was not desiring to "downsize" so much I'd be looking more seriously at one of the Fuji digital medium format setups.

Reactions: photosubieoverland

photosubieoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carter
Member #

I have a love/hate relationship with my EF 24-105 f/4 lens; not the sharpest in the stable but hard to beat that range. I end up using it a lot.
If I was not desiring to "downsize" so much I'd be looking more seriously at one of the Fuji digital medium format setups.
I was never a fan of the EF 24-105, but the RF 24-105 is pretty sharp. If Canon makes an RF 24-70 f/4L, I'll replace it.
The RF 24-70 f/2.8 is huge, and since I usually only shoot landscapes at f/9-f/11 I can't justify the cost for the extra stop of light.
If I won the lotto, I would get the Fuji GFX100s or 50R with 3 lenses in a heart beat!

Last edited:

El-Dracho

Ambassador, Europe
Supporter
Investor

Inventor I

Lampertheim, Germany
First Name
Bjoern
Last Name
Eldracher
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
DO3BE
That's an interesting question and it's exciting to see all the different approaches. Thanks for sharing.

I started many years ago with a very simple camera, taking paper photos. Later I took a digital compact camera (Canon IXUS series) with me on my travels and tours. Packed in a waterproof hardcase for protection. Then a phase came when I took only a few photos for many years and mostly only on long tours. This is simply because I store a lot in my head and in the situation I prefer to enjoy the moment instead of taking the perfect photo.

Three years ago I bought a digital reflex camera (Canon EOS series) because I enjoy learning new things. Since then I often have it with me and use it for, let´s call it the special photos and motifs and photos I use for picture slide shows and articles. For snapshots or short tips I use the smartphone. These little devices make really good photos today (have a Samsung XCover 4s currently).

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
I was never a fan of the EF 24-105, but the RF 24-105 is pretty sharp. If Canon makes an RF 24-70 f/4L, I'll replace it.
The RF 24-70 f/2.8 is huge, and since I usually only shoot landscapes at f/9-f/11 I can't justify the cost for the extra stop of light.
If I won the lotto, I would get the Fuji GFX100s or 50R with 3 lenses in a heart beat!
My problem is that I want medium format in an RX100 form factor ;) I don’t really care for most of what comes out of the phone but its always with me and small-ish, I did get my wife a tiny Canon Rebel with APSC sensor and have thrown a 50mm prime on it. It’s sitting on my desk waiting to be taken out and used...

I guess what you use is not as important as using something...

photosubieoverland

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Los Angeles, CA, USA
First Name
Antonio
Last Name
Carter
Member #

@Ubiety a medium format sensor in an FX100 camera size body would be gold.
I use to have a Canon 80D, and took some great photos with it with the kit lens. Was about to get an EOS 5DSR when the EOS R was released. I figured a full fame mirrorless from the company I'm familiar with was the way to go. If I had to do it again though, I probably would have gone with the Sony A7 series.

I have a bunch of 35mm film cameras at home that never get used. I always make sure I have at least one camera with me when I travel. Even though phones are getting better cameras, It's just not the same for me.

Last edited:

Ubiety

Rank VI

Explorer I

Sammamish, WA, USA
First Name
Greg
Last Name
Ubiety
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Ribs
@Ubiety a medium format sensor in an FX100 camera size body would be gold.
I use to have a Canon 80D, and took some great photos with it with the kit lens. Was about to get an EOS 5DSR when the EOS R was released. I figured a full fame mirrorless from the company I'm familiar with was the way to go. If I had to do it again though, I probably would have gone with the Sony A7 series.

I have a bunch of 35mm film cameras at home that never get used. I always make sure I have at least one camera with me when I travel. Even though phones are getting better cameras, It's just not the same for me.
Dare to dream! I'd even settle for a full frame sensor in a small "point and shoot". Mentioned the RX100 because I love the size but the 1" sensor just does not do it for me.