What is your favorite overland/camp stove?

• HTML tutorial

Embark With Mark

Rank V
Founder 500

Explorer I

Ridgecrest, California, United States
First Name
Mark
Last Name
EWM
Member #

Not many things are more crucial to a good trip than a nice meal. Having the tools to cook a nice meal can be hard to come by especially with all the different fuel types and makes of stoves that exist. I have used all sorts of Coleman stoves, backpacking stoves, single burner and duel burner stoves, but honestly I was never really satisfied with them. Like most other gear, sometimes cooking stoves are a trial by fire. I personally have ruled out propane, ISO butane, and butane as viable fuel sources for my camp stoves. I use gasoline, white gas, or the wood fire took cook now. However, I still had one issue with white gas stoves. It seemed that on the market you either could buy a portable white gas stove that is like cooking on a jet engine, or a stove that is so large the practicality of taking it on trips are lost. I am looking at the MSR dragon fly as my go-to stove now. With the mindset that the stove saves space, is durable, is reliable, and has the real capability to simmer. If you could only have one reliable cooking source/system what would it be?

Reactions: uncompromise

rgallant

Rank III

Advocate I

British Columbia
First Name
Richard
Last Name
Gallant
Ham/GMRS Callsign
VE7REJ
Service Branch
RCAC (Reserve) 75-00
I have stayed with propane, I have a 50 year old Coleman white gas that works fine but it can be hard to find fuel which always amazes me. I like cooking over a wood fire but almost guaranteed fire bans every year make the it too random.

My 2 burner propane works fine, however I do not hike long distances.

rsweet

Rank V

Member III

Huntington Beach, CA, USA
First Name
Robert
Last Name
Sweet
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6IHR
I use MSR stoves and a stainless camp chef stove because of the BTU rating. The colemans and similar just don't put out enough BTU's to cook great food. Camp chef has a lot of accessories for their setup...grills...griddles, etc. Good food on the trail is a must and really makes a huge difference in roughing it. Cook for your woman and she will always want to go.

Reactions: RoarinRow

Obscure Medic

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Havelock, NC, USA
First Name
Dale
Last Name
Askew
Member #

We use a two burner camp chef stove in camp that uses propane. For a family of 4 it's easy to cook good meals. I still always pack my MSR whisperlite back pack stove on EVERY trip. I use white gas mostly and use it to just make coffee. However, if things got hairy, I can easily cook with it and I have the different jets so I could utilize any fuel i come across to fuel it

Reactions: Ryanryan34

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, NV, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Timbo Tusk by far our fav, cooks great, clean up in 1 min, packs nice......Hell we use it at home as well.

Graeman

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Catalina Avenue, Tucson, AZ, USA
First Name
Todd
Last Name
Hoffmaster
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7CRJ
Service Branch
Air Force
I prefer propane cooking stoves with 2 burners while camping. I carry a 5lb tank to cook with and do not have to worry about running out of fuel when I go camping for the weekend or for a full week. I also like carrying 1 5lb bottle more than 5 little bottles and having them rolling around or clanking back and forth inside the Jeep. How long do those little red white fuel bottles last? I would be afraid to be camping on day 3 and it runs out during dinner time.

TylerC

Rank I
Launch Member

Contributor II

Medicine Hat, AB, Canada
First Name
Tyler
Last Name
C
Member #

I have an old vintage Coleman two burner stove that I've installed in my truck. It's the only stove I've ever found with such a wide range of heat control. I also use a BioLite stove when we want to cook meat on an open flame. there are usually fire bans around here so we don't rely on cooking on a campfire.

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

The stove I use most it my Partner 22" - it gets used constantly when camping.

roaddude_partnerstove22-3713.jpg

I also have:
A bunch of mini backpacking stoves and portable twig burners I like to experiment with for canoe and bike trips and walkabouts.
A Gas One duel fuel (butane/propane) single burner both for day trips/quick stops using the rear door shelf and as 3rd burner when cooking up a storm and need it for a sauce or to keep something warm.
I use my JetBoil Flash daily to heat water for coffee and the occasional Backpacker's Pantry meal.

darjo242

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Show Low, AZ
First Name
Darryl
Last Name
Johnson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7HLL
Anyone have any experience on using the MSR Dragonfly mentioned above & cooking with a cast iron pan?

MMc

Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I own many stoves, back packing, car camping using all the major fuels 1,2,3 burners. My go to for car camping is my Partner Steel 2 burner. for backpacking it's a MSR Dragon Fly. I am sure the MSR would work with cast iron pans, I don't use cast iron while on the road so have no experience with it.

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
I like my Coleman white gas stoves.

I have several of the suitcase style, but the one that probably gets the most use is my Peak 1. The compact size makes it a winner.

Suaveboutdoors

Rank II
Launch Member

Enthusiast I

Lakewood, WA, USA
First Name
Benjamin
Last Name
Canley
Member #

For me I love my skottle and my combo Dutch oven to include my 4000p butane stove to heat things up.I have a fix outfitters portable foldable fireplace grill that I use to cook with charcoal or wood.The combination of everything fits in my decks system besides the skottle kit which I’m in the process of making a mount under my bed rack.I implement the butane it’s cheap and with my burner it’s propane comparable also.I also keep a kovea heater small and compact in case it gets too cold.Thisr system all work together with my cooking systems.

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

I really like my Camp Chef Mountaineer. Good flame control and plenty of heat when needed. It's been banging around in my offroad trailer for 3 years with no issues.

KIMG0261 (1).JPG

Wyotroutguy

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Utah
First Name
Josh
Last Name
Martinez
Member #

I usually stick to my skottle, jet boil and Dutch oven. Haven’t ran into a meal I can’t make with a combination of the 3.

RatAssassin

Rank IV

Enthusiast III

Wisconsin, USA
First Name
Rat
Last Name
Assassin
Member #

My two favorite stoves (I'm a gear junkie and have around a dozen) are the MSR Dragonfly and my Coleman Dual Fuel two Burner suitcase stove.

I'd say between canoe trips and camping out of the truck, those get the most use. Also because it stays pretty cold here, I like using white gas over butane.

Reactions: BrewpubTJdood