What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

Just bought a safejack 6-ton bottle jack starter kit as a supplement to the OEM Tacoma jack - can't hurt to have both in the event you need leverage in multiple spots (like jack 1 to get enough clearance for jack 2)

Next on list as I have a Joshua Tree area trip planned in a few weeks:
- Zoleo sat communicator
- GMRS radio pair (midland)
- Recovery rope, snatch strap, soft shackles
- Tire repair kit

Amazon sales on Mon-Tue of next week, hoping the items I want/need go on sale. In cart and ready to purchase!

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Ordered some potty gear for future endeavors. You never know when it will be needed, and when in a group, a necessary item as privacy and stewardship dictate if at all possible, a 'tread lightly' approach. An especially needed item in more heavily traveled areas.
1670524485117.png1670524774917.png1670524796732.png1670524845565.png
I have to say the 7 gallon bucket size is more inline with us older folks and our knees . The Orange and blue stores make a much better cost effective 5 gallon version. For that extra up size, they see you coming. Going to see if off the shelf kitchen trash bags will work UPDATE.....*** (they did) vs the price of the specialty ones produced for this endeavor as those get mixed reviews.

Last edited:

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
Ordered some potty gear for future endeavors. You never know when it will be needed, and when in a group, a necessary item as privacy and stewardship dictate if at all possible, a 'tread lightly' approach. An especially needed item in more heavily traveled areas.
View attachment 246461View attachment 246462View attachment 246463View attachment 246464
I have to say the 7 gallon bucket size is more inline with us older folks and our knees . The Orange and blue stores make a much better cost effective 5 gallon version. For that extra up size, they see you coming. Going to see if off the shelf kitchen trash bags will work vs the price of the specialty ones produced for this endeavor.
Checkout the ThunderBox at www.thunderboxusa.com

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Checkout the ThunderBox at www.thunderboxusa.com
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That folding convenience is like the 7 gallan size bucket. They definatly see you coming. Money out lay trumps size for now. I fiqure in 6 months craigslist will start having for sale some gear by those who dabbled in overlanding.

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
New heartbeat for the Jeep
Mark, Nice! hoping you will post photos of this project. We have a 2013 JKU that we have given thoughts to a V8 conversion, would love to see how yours turns out. Looks like you are only a couple of hours south of us.

Reactions: Bad Sport

CR-Venturer

Rank VI
Launch Member

Traveler III

Ardrossan, AB, Canada
First Name
Jas
Last Name
Spr
Member #

Nice price....can you keep us informed of any problems? Is this tent on sale? If so how long?

Thanks
It's listed as on clearance, so I don't know if they'll keep stocking it or not. I will definitely post about it in my build thread and if there are any issues, I will for sure let you guys know :)

Reactions: Shahn and Matang

RMCM

Rank VI
Launch Member

Creator III

Bellevue, NE, USA
First Name
Rick
Last Name
Esquibel
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N5FMF
Service Branch
USMC/USN
Just bought a safejack 6-ton bottle jack starter kit as a supplement to the OEM Tacoma jack - can't hurt to have both in the event you need leverage in multiple spots (like jack 1 to get enough clearance for jack 2)

Next on list as I have a Joshua Tree area trip planned in a few weeks:
- Zoleo sat communicator
- GMRS radio pair (midland)
- Recovery rope, snatch strap, soft shackles
- Tire repair kit

Amazon sales on Mon-Tue of next week, hoping the items I want/need go on sale. In cart and ready to purchase!
Other than the recovery rope that’s pretty much my list. Although, I’m also looking at a truck bed tent.

Reactions: Shahn and Nickel

K12

Rank VII

Endurance III

Idaho, United States
First Name
Beau
Last Name
K12
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force
I puchased a victron multiplus II inverter to replace the current inverter. I wanted it to tie into the rest of the system for better monitoring and it will now work with the rest of the system running on victron products.

Reactions: roots66 and Shahn

Nickel

Rank III

Pathfinder II

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Jones
Member #

View attachment 246461View attachment 246462View attachment 246463View attachment 246464
I have to say the 7 gallon bucket size is more inline with us older folks and our knees . The Orange and blue stores make a much better cost effective 5 gallon version. For that extra up size, they see you coming. Going to see if off the shelf kitchen trash bags will work vs the price of the specialty ones produced for this endeavor as those get mixed reviews.
Is the 7 gallon any wider or just taller? I bought the Lug-a-loo brand. Works OK, but a bit short front to back. I would love an extra 2-3". Not to get too personal, I know some people can hold their #1 while they go #2. I cannot. The experience is not pleasant trying to get the junk up front in while also going #2. Do-able, but not comfortable at all.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Is the 7 gallon any wider or just taller? I bought the Lug-a-loo brand. Works OK, but a bit short front to back. I would love an extra 2-3". Not to get too personal, I know some people can hold their #1 while they go #2. I cannot. The experience is not pleasant trying to get the junk up front in while also going #2. Do-able, but not comfortable at all.
===========================================================================================================
Taller,...............easier for us older stiff knee adventurers to stand up from. Otherwise dimensions (diameter) are the same. Number 1,that is what the GEL is for. Turns liquid into a gel. I imagine kitty litter (cpst) would work, (cheaper),......just heavier after using for processing..

PS"...update 12/9/22..................................Order delivered complete and then assembled. Parts fit as designed. Kitchen trash bags fit nicely. I doubled them up 2x for leak/strength peace of mind , You can use the assembled toilet to carry the Gel pouch and a roll of TP and wipes. as well as some hand sanitizer, pre-use . They all fit inside easily for transport.

Concerning men. yes a little directional tuck is advisable for anyone with a large body frame (husky). A tight fit. Women should not have this issue, to contend with, but that said . the extra height does vastly help when standing up. This was my main concern and why I was willing to spend the extra money for the 7 gallon size. The seat is not large but it does what it is there for.

PSS:....update 12/24.22.....................Purchased a small 5 lb bag of JOHNNY CAT litter. Compact and only cost $2,79 vs $15 for the gel. So right around $80 total outlay , as I had already had trash bags on hand. It also fit in the unit for pre use transport

I hope I answered most any question you might have contemplated about this subject concerning cost and functionality. Some companies seem very willing to ask for the moon for their products. A little bulky but light weight vs say a cartridge unit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shahn and 9Mike2