What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
It's cool. Do you work in a bumper factory ? They could do a better job of fitment if they stayed with the grill angle line.
Staying closer to the body lines is really hard to do with a metal break. They would have to do a lot more cutting and welding to make the lines match better. I think for a piece of stamped steel they did an excellent job.

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Staying closer to the body lines is really hard to do with a metal break. They would have to do a lot more cutting and welding to make the lines match better. I think for a piece of stamped steel they did an excellent job.
Yeah 3/16 and 1/4 steel plate aint easy at all to bend. I think it looks real good too. my only gripe would have been the angle of the stinger i think its too close to the truck and it should follow the lower skid angle more but that just me. Otherwise they did an excelent job if it will accept a skidplate.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Being a designer by trade I disagree. It's called quality control. Every manufacture should build a proto type and then duplicate it when its right. It's all in the math in this case. Nothing worse than something that looks like it belongs on another vehicle. If it was home made I can understand a one shot deal. Sorry, just my quality control coming out in me.

Last edited:
Reactions: M Rose

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Yeah 3/16 and 1/4 steel plate aint easy at all to bend. I think it looks real good too. my only gripe would have been the angle of the stinger i think its too close to the truck and it should follow the lower skid angle more but that just me. Otherwise they did an excelent job if it will accept a skidplate.
I dont think it is a metal break job. I think it is a cut and fit pieces to form the shape. That's the way my bumper is made !

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I dont think it is a metal break job. I think it is a cut and fit pieces to form the shape. That's the way my bumper is made !
It’s a one piece bumper skin with recovery points and brush gaurs welded in... I can’t see the back side, but would assume that the mounting points are bent and welded to the skin, just like I did on my Dodge bumper9543AB21-CC22-4157-95E5-B7773388CF0E.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
It’s a one piece bumper skin with recovery points and brush gaurs welded in... I can’t see the back side, but would assume that the mounting points are bent and welded to the skin, just like I did on my Dodge bumperView attachment 141086
Look again at his bumper, both picture's. The angle changes are too sharp to have been bent to shape. Your picture is evidence by having rounded angle changes. Nice looking BTW. Too massive for my blood but the quality is excellent.

MeHere!

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Somerville, MA, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Witkus
Member #

It's awfully easy to buy the wrong tire, especially if your rig is your DD. How aggressive is a hard choice. Some really good tires and buy's from Patagonia tires. There is a thread on tires here in the forum with many suggestions from experienced road warriers.
I have it narrowed down a bit, am also on a couple Xterra forums as well, leaning towards the General Grabbers HTS60's

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Not the way mine is made the whole front is pressed into shape. no welding shapes together thats how things are done on homemade builds and the welds break eventually.
1582304077509826002513.jpg15823041508101524218732.jpg
You do it with this type of press with dies to make the shape and its very repeatable and fast.
downloadfile-71.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 64Trvlr

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
Look again at his bumper, both picture's. The angles changes are too sharp to have been bent to shape. Your picture is evidence by having rounded angle changes. Nice looking BTW. Too massive for my blood but the quality is excellent.
My rounded edges are 1.5x.25 DOM cold roll tubing...which makes up the framework for the bumper, one 20 foot stick bent about a million times. Then tacked the skin to the framework and bent the skin around the frame.
Look again at his bumper, both picture's. The angle changes are too sharp to have been bent to shape. Your picture is evidence by having rounded angle changes. Nice looking BTW. Too massive for my blood but the quality is excellent.
my bumper posted is actually a tube bumper with a skin over it...

his Bumper is definitely a solid one piece of steel bumper with a winch cradle welded inside. Just went to the website, and looked at the build process.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Not the way mine is made the whole front is pressed into shape. no welding shapes together thats how things are done on homemade builds and the welds break eventually.
View attachment 141087View attachment 141088
It's obvious yours is stamped with some pieces fitted unless it was stamped while red hot and form molded, and it fits, not like the one we are talking about. I just had my bumper installed and it is made of pieces, some bent and some cut and welded together, hence the sharper corners where the pieces are fitted together. Maybe mine is junk but it fits perfect to my rigs body lines. My bumper is made in the UK.

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Put a winch on it before you mess with front suspension not after. Get all the weight on it before doing your measurements
Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. Been holding off on the winch until I can find it for the right price.

It's cool. Do you work in a bumper factory ? They could do a better job of fitment if they stayed with the grill angle line.
I work for the company. I think it fits nicely.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thanks, I’ll keep that in mind. Been holding off on the winch until I can find it for the right price.

I work for the company. I think it fits nicely.
Fits the frame, fits the opening, just dosent fit the grill shape, but if you like it who should care. :-)
Since you work there you could answer the question that I and others have been discussing about how your bumper is built. Is it stamped out of one piece of steel or is some of it made in pieces, both stamped and cut to fit and welded on.

Reactions: KarmaSeoul

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Finshed everything i was doing tried to get my truck inspected and had them tell me i have illegal tint and they wont inspect it even though ive had this truck inspected at same place since 2017 and its factory tint . So now i have to fight with gm service dept to get a good tint. We will see how that goes but im pretty sure im gonna have to end up with no tint or aftermarket legal tint thats gonna bubble up in less than a year. Im pissed.
20200222_091326.jpg20200222_145535.jpg20200222_145544.jpg

KarmaSeoul

Rank V
Launch Member

Traveler III

Baton Rouge, LA, USA
First Name
Matthew
Last Name
D
Member #

Fits the frame, fits the opening, just dosent fit the grill shape, but if you like it who should care. :-)
Since you work there you could answer the question that I and others have been discussing about how your bumper is built. Is it stamped out of one piece of steel or is some of it made in pieces, both stamped and cut to fit and welded on.
They use a combination.
Process <- Shows a quick version of it.

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

13000 lb winch, have'nt seen that before, what brand is it?
like the chevy grille
same thing happened to my buddy, bought an '08 charger new from the dealer with factory tint. police pulled over his wife in it one day and said it was too dark, had to change it or car was getting a V.I.
luckily the dealer swapped out all the glass for free, but the dealer was about 300 miles from him so he was down the car for a few days and out a couple hundred on ferry rides back and forth between him and the dealer
I think the brand is costway. I dont really know what to do about the tint we cant just take off and drive the hour and half to the dealer and leave the truck with them. Id almost rather bust my windows out with a hammer and order clear windows than leave the truck with the dealer, every time weve done that the truck comes back missing bolts.

Reactions: eagle_A40

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I think the brand is costway. I dont really know what to do about the tint we cant just take off and drive the hour and half to the dealer and leave the truck with them. Id almost rather bust my windows out with a hammer and order clear windows than leave the truck with the dealer, every time weve done that the truck comes back missing bolts.
Find another place to get the inspection done... I had an old 87 f150 I had to take to several different shops for inspection because it was made without a smog pump, the truck was originally a propane injected model sold in Kansas, that was later modified to a holly 4 barrel in another non inspecting state, and I would hook the propane system back in for inspections. Kids these days don’t know how to tell what equipment came from the factory. Finally I was able to find a shop that had a “old” inspector that new the propane injection was factory and not an add on system and passed me.
Your window tint should be a non issue...
Similar Story:
In 1997 my dad wanted a first gen Explorer. We traveled all over the Northwest to find the perfect one. He finally found a 1996 that was barely used for a price he couldn’t refuse here at our local Ford Dealer. On the way home he got pulled over for the window tinting. Supposedly it was too dark for the state of Oregon. But it was factory tint, built for dealer distribution here in Oregon and with the vin decoded by Ford he was able to take the build sheet into court with him where he got the case thrown out because factory tint is 50 state legal as long as it’s not the windshield or front windows. So my point is your rear windows are legal and you need to find a new inspector.