What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

Manbeast

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Pennsylvania
Member #

That's quite a rig set up. I don't see many of them but I like them a lot. Is it 4 wheel drive ? I don't know if there is anything that is quiet on the highways. I bought BF Goodrich A/T for my daily driver and the sound drives me nuts.
It sounds like my wheel bearings are all shot, they are not but it sounds that way. My old Wranglers were noisy and is why I changed to BFG, wasted money. Bad car insulation may have a lot to do with it and the fact that it is all wheel drive. My daughter has a 2 wheel drive version of the same car and has A/T
tires on it . It rides nice and quiet.
4wd 2.5 liter turbodiesel, not fast but fun so far, and yes it sounds like the bearings are shot but I doubt they are, I was thinking of putting on some k02's but my aunt in Denver has also recommended a set of toyo's as she has given them a try and was surprised by how quiet they were while still retaining good grip

RamblingRanger

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
David
Last Name
T
Member #

My local tire fix it shop (used tire dealer) only charges $10 a tire for removing a tire, taking it off the rim, patching the hole from the inside, remounting the tire and installing the tire back on the car. I just cant see paying $35 a tire for basically the same thing. He does charge $7 extra per wheel to balance the tire. Maybe you should find such a place in your town, as a suggestion.
Around here 35.00 is cheap. It’s been along time since we could get a tire done for 17.00.

BigRedDog

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clifford
Member #

Got rid of the Trailhawk and replaced it with something that I think will fit my long term needs a bit better...'16 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X with 22k on the clock:

Really wanted something that would be able to more easily tow a small camper trailer. And also love the simplicity and durable nature of the Frontier. It's an honest, affordable truck.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Around here 35.00 is cheap. It’s been along time since we could get a tire done for 17.00.
I live in a state that is federally supported. 75% of the states population is below poverty level and 75% of them are on welfare programs. It wasn't always that way. Yes, low wage but not poverty. The poverty is Government generated by the welfare programs that weren't here 20-30 years ago. I think the majority of Hispanics in NM learned from the large Native American population the welfare way of life. They see the feds supporting the reservations and living off government money so they wanted it too. Most of the Indians on the reservations are not full blood anyway. They are lucky to have 75% Indian blood, the rest is Mexican blood line. Bottom line is if I could make a decent wage for my work I wouldn't complain about the price of mounting tires. But when I see the garages charging $85 to $100 an hour, yet they pay $10-$12 to their employees, I get upset. Then we have the city fathers who only allow certain businesses to operate in the county, I get sick at my stomach. We use to have a Long john silver, the city kicked them out. We use to have a taco bell, the city kicked them out. We had a Kentucky Fried Chicken and they got kicked out. Then there was a Burger king, it's been booted. Lastly there was a Golden Corral, it's gone too. All of these places were taking business away from local businesses so they just got rid of them rather than compete. Yes we have severe problems in my community but unless your rich and influential your dead. Sorry to get off subject people. I stay pissed all the time these rotten days.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Got rid of the Trailhawk and replaced it with something that I think will fit my long term needs a bit better...'16 Nissan Frontier PRO-4X with 22k on the clock:
View attachment 105005

Really wanted something that would be able to more easily tow a small camper trailer. And also love the simplicity and durable nature of the Frontier. It's an honest, affordable truck.
I like it too and think it is a very good choice. Just wondering something, are you living on a military establishment ?
I ask because I am a building designer and the houses in the background are all alike in similarity. More common to military housing that I've seen in a civilian atmosphere. Nothing wrong with that, they look really good, I was just wondering if I have guessed correctly.

RamblingRanger

Rank III

Enthusiast II

Virginia
First Name
David
Last Name
T
Member #

I live in a state that is federally supported. 75% of the states population is below poverty level and 75% of them are on welfare programs. It wasn't always that way. Yes, low wage but not poverty. The poverty is Government generated by the welfare programs that weren't here 20-30 years ago. I think the majority of Hispanics in NM learned from the large Native American population the welfare way of life. They see the feds supporting the reservations and living off government money so they wanted it too. Most of the Indians on the reservations are not full blood anyway. They are lucky to have 75% Indian blood, the rest is Mexican blood line. Bottom line is if I could make a decent wage for my work I wouldn't complain about the price of mounting tires. But when I see the garages charging $85 to $100 an hour, yet they pay $10-$12 to their employees, I get upset. Then we have the city fathers who only allow certain businesses to operate in the county, I get sick at my stomach. We use to have a Long john silver, the city kicked them out. We use to have a taco bell, the city kicked them out. We had a Kentucky Fried Chicken and they got kicked out. Then there was a Burger king, it's been booted. Lastly there was a Golden Corral, it's gone too. All of these places were taking business away from local businesses so they just got rid of them rather than compete. Yes we have severe problems in my community but unless your rich and influential your dead. Sorry to get off subject people. I stay pissed all the time these rotten days.
I hear you, I won’t get started, it’s the same everywhere. I live live in a what used to be a rual place and the city has expanded down here. Our shops charge an average of 120.00 an hour and pay the mechanics 25 + an hour otherwise they wouldn’t have any.

4wheelspulling

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Chelan, WA.
First Name
Vance
Last Name
Myers
Member #

I will take all your great Overlanding vehicles, off your hands, that way you don’t have to care for them! Haha.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I will take all your great Overlanding vehicles, off your hands, that way you don’t have to care for them! Haha.
You wouldn't want to make that beautiful place of yours into a junk yard now would you ? That would be something I would do. I've always wanted a junk yard. I call them jewelry stores. A junk yard full of off road vehicles would be twice as good..

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
Louisiana isn't any better. Half the population sits on their porch all day drinking 40's (big bottles of malt liquor if you don't know) while the other half works and gets prison raped with all sorts of taxes in order to support them. I overland to get out and escape this mess even if its just for a little while.
So, going back to the OP...the latest thing I bought for overlanding is a LP hot water unit for showering. Everything I buy is pretty much to help me stay out boondocking and off the grid as much and as long as possible.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Louisiana isn't any better. Half the population sits on their porch all day drinking 40's (big bottles of malt liquor if you don't know) while the other half works and gets prison raped with all sorts of taxes in order to support them. I overland to get out and escape this mess even if its just for a little while.
So, going back to the OP...the latest thing I bought for overlanding is a LP hot water unit for showering. Everything I buy is pretty much to help me stay out boondocking and off the grid as much and as long as possible.
Same here grubworm. I got into a messy debate here on another thread because I introduced the tankless propane water heater to them as a better and less costly means of have shower water. They were buying these Chinese made water tanks to mount on their rigs and depending on solar heated black tube. The cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$600 depending on size. I was un-politely told to get off their thread and they were insulted that I would insinuate they were fools for buying the Chinese crap. I didn't do that but that's how close minded that thread was. We seem to be on the same path and the heater is coming soon to my build, It's the smart thing to do. Lock and load my friend, Louisiana is full of all kinds of alligators. Lanlubber

Reactions: grubworm

BigRedDog

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO
First Name
Cam
Last Name
Clifford
Member #

I like it too and think it is a very good choice. Just wondering something, are you living on a military establishment ?
I ask because I am a building designer and the houses in the background are all alike in similarity. More common to military housing that I've seen in a civilian atmosphere. Nothing wrong with that, they look really good, I was just wondering if I have guessed correctly.
Nope! Located in the suburbia surrounding Denver. I see where you are getting that, though. It doesn't help that our entire neighborhood is missing front yard landscaping (just moved in a few months ago and the builder's landscapers are way behind to say the least).

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Nope! Located in the suburbia surrounding Denver. I see where you are getting that, though. It doesn't help that our entire neighborhood is missing front yard landscaping (just moved in a few months ago and the builder's landscapers are way behind to say the least).
Denver is so hot on house sales right now. I use to design houses for a company called Wood Bros. Homes in the 70's and 80"s. At the time they were the biggest builder in the US. I almost moved there because I worked out of El Paso Tx. and designed homes for them in Denver, Albuq., Santa Fe, San Antonio, Las Cruces, and Tucson Az. Then all of a sudden in the mid 80's they sold off the co. in pieces. Good looking houses and I wish I could still be a part of the industry. I am surprised at the lack of diversity in styles but at least they chose a classic style that has been with us for more than a hundred years.
Back to your truck, I turned green when you posted the pic. ! She is a mighty fine looking rig and I hope she servers you as good as she looks.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
Same here grubworm. I got into a messy debate here on another thread because I introduced the tankless propane water heater to them as a better and less costly means of have shower water. They were buying these Chinese made water tanks to mount on their rigs and depending on solar heated black tube. The cost is somewhere in the neighborhood of $500-$600 depending on size. I was un-politely told to get off their thread and they were insulted that I would insinuate they were fools for buying the Chinese crap. I didn't do that but that's how close minded that thread was. We seem to be on the same path and the heater is coming soon to my build, It's the smart thing to do. Lock and load my friend, Louisiana is full of all kinds of alligators. Lanlubber
I have not come across that thread yet. Almost all on here keep it respectful, and do not let it get personable. I watched one thread where what you described was devolving into that. A new member who was very opinionated that his way was the only way. I don't think he stuck around. With that said i have only had 2 other instances where it seemed a personal augmentative thought was directed towards me. One I just stopped posting on that thread to avoid any problems, and the other I just used links and direction to justify what I had posted. It is better that way for all on the forum. Knowledge and personal opinions are what drive these threads, and I like to learn from other members experiences.
When your wrong about something, and it will happen at some point, correct it, or edit it for content. Did that, Done that!

"I was un-politely told to get off their thread"..............................Wow. But don't elaborate,.....let sleeping dogs lye!:astonished:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have not come across that thread yet. Almost all on here keep it respectful, and do not let it get personable. I watched one thread where what you described was devolving into that. A new member who was very opinionated that his way was the only way. I don't think he stuck around. With that said i have only had 2 other instances where it seemed a personal augmentative thought was directed towards me. One I just stopped posting on that thread to avoid any problems, and the other I just used links and direction to justify what I had posted. It is better that way for all on the forum. Knowledge and personal opinions are what drive these threads, and I like to learn from other members experiences.
When your wrong about something, and it will happen at some point, correct it, or edit it for content. Did that, Done that!

"I was un-politely told to get off their thread"..............................Wow. But don't elaborate,.....let sleeping dogs lye!:astonished:
I totally agree with everything you say here. I did move on after my apologies were ignored by the thread starter. I know it is hard to explain something to someone once they have formed an opinion. Writing something out is not the same as talking to someone because there is no expression in ones words. What I might call a friendly debate and constructive, others may want to call it argumentative or insulting. Yes, best to let go and move on if that is the attitude.

Desert Runner

Rank VII
Launch Member

Expedition Master III

Southern Nevada
First Name
Jerold
Last Name
F.
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
/GMRS=WREA307
For those members who use a Pintle hitch set-up. (A) Which do you prefer, the civilian version or the Military version? Is there a difference in ride quality or not. For those that are reading, and wondering, the military style is as the picture above. The Hook end, that is attached to the vehicle, has a 'swivel' attachment. The Civilian is exactly the opposite. The Pintle is solid, and the 'Loop' (trailer-end) has the swivel. (B) Do you modify the brake system, to work in the civilian market?

The modified trailer has some interesting possibilities. It opens up some design parameters, a unmodified version does not possess. A modular type cargo ability, where the trailer is not strictly for camping, but can be changed to suit your needs as needed.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
For those members who use a Pintle hitch set-up. (A) Which do you prefer, the civilian version or the Military version? Is there a difference in ride quality or not. For those that are reading, and wondering, the military style is as the picture above. The Hook end, that is attached to the vehicle, has a 'swivel' attachment. The Civilian is exactly the opposite. The Pintle is solid, and the 'Loop' (trailer-end) has the swivel. (B) Do you modify the brake system, to work in the civilian market?

The modified trailer has some interesting possibilities. It opens up some design parameters, a unmodified version does not possess. A modular type cargo ability, where the trailer is not strictly for camping, but can be changed to suit your needs as needed.
I like simple. You already have something that works on the trailer and to switch it around would be more costly than purchasing a devise for your rigs hitch. Plus you may pull other trailers that are not set up for pintle hooks.

Manbeast

Rank III
Launch Member

Member I

Pennsylvania
Member #

A little jerky at slow speed and over bumps with a lot of clunking and bumping but once you're up to speed on a smooth road its pretty well mannered ( although smooth roads are a rare commodity in Pennsylvania)

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Last purchase and install- ARB rear diff locker

Waiting for ACE JKU sliders
Will you install both front and rear @ some point ?
I want sliders too, but mine cost twice what your do for a jeep.
I'll have to wait awhile longer and stay away from the boulders and deep rutted paths.

• Haha
Reactions: Desert Runner