What is the last thing you bought and plan to buy?

• HTML tutorial

HIALT2D

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Orange County, CA
First Name
Glen
Last Name
Stanley
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WA6AAB
No worries..... I'm the guy that will ALWAYS laugh at myself long before laughing at anyone else. Maybe it just doesn't come across that way sometimes?

As proud as I am with having the van, I'm kinda going through the "Did we make the right decision" phase with all this. I've wanted a Sportsmobile type van for as long as I can remember, but wasn't able to justify/afford one until I retired a couple of years ago. Now that I have it, I feel like I "need" to have everything finished so we can get some use out of it before we're too old/capable. What really sucks is how expensive everything's gotten due to the popularity of "Overlanding". We've already had to cut way back on the original build-out plans and are in the process of coming up with our own version of a need vs want list. Hence, my original post.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
No worries..... I'm the guy that will ALWAYS laugh at myself long before laughing at anyone else. Maybe it just doesn't come across that way sometimes?

As proud as I am with having the van, I'm kinda going through the "Did we make the right decision" phase with all this. I've wanted a Sportsmobile type van for as long as I can remember, but wasn't able to justify/afford one until I retired a couple of years ago. Now that I have it, I feel like I "need" to have everything finished so we can get some use out of it before we're too old/capable. What really sucks is how expensive everything's gotten due to the popularity of "Overlanding". We've already had to cut way back on the original build-out plans and are in the process of coming up with our own version of a need vs want list. Hence, my original post.
Your in good company here. Most of OB crowd is in the same shoes as you or I. In the end you will have what you want in totality I believe. The first thought is usually the best thought one can have.

I have had my doubts about my choice of rigs, I bet a lot of others have as well. Hind sight is always right but somehow it's nice to know that whatever decisions you make they belong to you.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired

Your in good company here. Most of OB crowd is in the same shoes as you or I. In the end you will have what you want in totality I believe. The first thought is usually the best thought one can have.

I have had my doubts about my choice of rigs, I bet a lot of others have as well. Hind sight is always right but somehow it's nice to know that whatever decisions you make they belong to you.
Out of all my Overlanding rigs I have ever owned, only 2 were purchased for this purpose entirely... the others were purchased to fulfill my DD needs, and adapted to fit my Overlanding needs at the time.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Out of all my Overlanding rigs I have ever owned, only 2 were purchased for this purpose entirely... the others were purchased to fulfill my DD needs, and adapted to fit my Overlanding needs at the time.
The one I have now, the LRD2 is the only one I ever bought with the sole intention of going places that none of my other cars can or should go. It could still be a daily driver but I won't use it for that. I'd rather consider it my pet.

Reactions: Big G and M Rose

DCR465

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Evansville, IN
First Name
Don
Last Name
Rumble
Member #

Help!!! I need blinders... I'm spending so much time changing my mind and researching different things that I can't seem to pull the trigger and just buy one of the many things I still need. Ok, ok, I'm going with getting the rest of my recovery gear. But wait, if I pass the Ham Technician test on the 22nd, don't I deserve to reward myself with a new ham radio? Oh, but what about the new seats I said I "had to have" for my back? Oh crap, I still need to get that Dometic fridge so I don't have to live out of an ice chest anymore.

Damn, I had no idea this overlanding stuff would be so stressful...
That is much the same I'm going through except the HAM test. I'm to much of a wimp to commit to taking it.

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I am envisioning getting an ipad to run gaia software but I'm going to need a bucket load of educating to get to that point,
iPad is a great choice for Gaia... I went through several apps and several tablets and finally settled in this combo... coms... I highly recommend getting your ham and GRMS licenses and use FRMS handhelds for spotting

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Waiting on an Alu-Cab 270 degree shadow awning and an Alu-Cab Gen3 roof top tent to go on my 4 Runner. Purchased at Asheville Vehicle outfitters
Starting off with a bang, I don't care for the RTT's (to old for one) but I really like the 270 degree awnings.

Reactions: roots66

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
iPad is a great choice for Gaia... I went through several apps and several tablets and finally settled in this combo... coms... I highly recommend getting your ham and GRMS licenses and use FRMS handhelds for spotting
What would you suggest for solo guy's ?

JDGreens

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Englewood Co.
Member #

I bought a Kovea cupid heater and a -25° sleeping bag for winter camping In my rig. I plan on adding a vent in my rear quarter panel. For cross ventilation with my wing windows up front. I figure on only use the heater when I am awake. But really don't want to take a chance that I might fall back asleep due to oxygen/carbon monoxide levels so I'm also going to use a battery operated alarm. Just to be sure it will work I think I will run the heater with the monitor inside and all the windows rolled up and observe it from the outside of the vehicle to test things before I go camping.

I'm considering getting a colman compact stove also. (Only $20 at Walmart) Since they use the same butane/propane mix cylinders.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I bought a Kovea cupid heater and a -25° sleeping bag for winter camping In my rig. I plan on adding a vent in my rear quarter panel. For cross ventilation with my wing windows up front. I figure on only use the heater when I am awake. But really don't want to take a chance that I might fall back asleep due to oxygen/carbon monoxide levels so I'm also going to use a battery operated alarm. Just to be sure it will work I think I will run the heater with the monitor inside and all the windows rolled up and observe it from the outside of the vehicle to test things before I go camping.

I'm considering getting a colman compact stove also. (Only $20 at Walmart) Since they use the same butane/propane mix cylinders.
Do you have an SUV or a Van ?

Kardolf

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Washington
First Name
David
Last Name
Uthmann
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KG7LZJ
Last thing bought was a new sleeping bag and a fridge. My last trip was in colder weather than normal and I got colder than I like when sleeping, so I finally decided to do something about it. The fridge is something that I've been wanting to do for quite a while, and the time hit where it was right to do. I haven't unboxed the sleeping bag yet, but that fridge immediately got set in front of the wood stove (best access to an outlet), plugged in, and run through its paces. Got to fridge temps pretty quick, and I was really surprised at how fast it started freezing the cup of water that I put in it as a test.

Next "purchase" (more like project) is to estimate how much power the fridge uses and buy the parts for a solar generator that can keep it going under common PNW conditions. I've got one that I built a while back that is smaller, and I learned quite a bit from it. The new one will have an upgraded charge controller (MPPT instead of PWM) and bigger battery capacity (I'm thinking a smaller battery size, but 3-4 of them, to balance out in a "bank").