What is the best piece of advice you can give a new overlander?

• HTML tutorial

JakeHalloran

Rank VI

Off-Road Ranger II

Chehalis, WA
First Name
Jake
Last Name
Halloran
Member #

Spend money on fuel, tires and recovery gear first. Upgrade your vehicle as your skill and desire to roam grows. Second tip, keep an eye on craigslist and marketplace to buy stuff used. A lot of people buy brand new overlanding gear, camp for three nights, hate it and sell it. Take advantage of the deals!

AT4OB

Rank VI

Trail Blazer I

Connecticut, United States
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Selden
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRTS423
Service Branch
Army
In the past two years, my friends and I have observed that when beginning your journey into the realm of "overland/vehicle base travel," it is most beneficial to simply embark on a few trips with the resources you already possess. Depending on your preferred style of travel, you may not require large or heavy tires, multiple fuel cans, or additional accessories such as sliders or a bumper. By starting with the essentials such as basic shelter, food, and recovery gear, and utilizing your chosen AWD/4x4 vehicle, you can take a few initial trips and gradually enhance your setup as needed.

Reactions: DintDobbs

Steph_ Adventures

Rank IX

Influencer I

Quebec, Canada
First Name
Steph
Last Name
Adventures
there been few good reply so far, just start with small adventures first to see if you really like it. and if you do just expand your “kits” with time . and never be afraid to ask for advices or suggestions to good gear

Reactions: 12C20 and DintDobbs

Advtres

Rank VI
Investor

Steward I

Hollister, CA, USA
First Name
Lizabeth
Last Name
Deliriumskid
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KN6STB
Like F=MC2

My equation would be

((less talking)+(more doing))-(buying extra stuff)=More Adventure

Reactions: 12C20

DintDobbs

Rank V

Advocate III

First Name
Daniel &
Last Name
the Vulture
To build on what @Wanderlost said, if you want to overland AND off-road, either get used to paying a lot for gas and tires and the pains of driving an off-road vehicle on the road most of the time, or get a tow rig to overland in, and only unload your toy when you want to off-road. Otherwise, build your vehicle for what you use it for... pavement is not the enemy.

PDXFred

Rank I

Contributor II

Portland, OR, USA
First Name
Fred
Last Name
Lifton
Know how to read and use a physical topo map and compass. Always have them with ya.

Don't worry about the dirt. You can always wash whatever it is when you get home.

it's okay to spend time doing nothing in particular.

Reactions: DintDobbs

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Best 10 PLY All Terrain Tires | FREE Shipping | TreadWright Tires

Firestone Transforce AT2 LT 265/75R16 123/120R E (10 Ply) AT A/T All Terrain Tire.

Go ahead and cut one open.

If it has an actual 10 plies it's an ancient carcass. It likely only has 2.

It's just slang. Like the morons that call an F250, a 3/4 ton truck still. My F250 has almost a 2 ton cargo capacity. (3650#).

The massive hole in my At2's revealed less than 10 plies. Poor tires for overlanding. GY Duratracs were another.

E rated Cooper Stt's only have 3. And those plies are twice as thick as a Firestone At2.

Last edited: