Joshua
Last Name
Downs
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6RBI / WQYH678
Service Branch
USMC 03-16, FIRE/EMS
My current gear storage solution. But I've got some of the Plano boxes as well which are quite good. I've went through many a storage solutions. This one works pretty well for me and has it's own shelving using so makes packing up and unpacking a lot easier and faster.

JersT4R

Rank V
Investor

Traveler III

Norfolk, VA
First Name
Jeremy
Last Name
Bailey
Member #

Yeah, I like how the Milwaukee mount system uses no straps. Much easier than using my Plano trunks on my Yakima basket.
Any pics?
Here they are just sitting in the basket, no straps. I couldn’t find any trip pics with them strapped in. I have two 15’ straps from REI that I use to hold them in place.

Attachments

ldelgado

Rank I

Contributor I

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Luigi
Last Name
DP
Member #

I went with the Zarges K470 over the Alu-Box primarily because the Zarges has the rubber seal/gasket built into the lid and the Alu-Box has it on the edge of the box. Seems far better protected and less likely to get chewed up or abraded the way it is in the Zarges. I love mine, and though I was originally hesitant because of the cost, they have proven to be very practical, very well-made, extremely durable, easy to use, and I know they will outlast me and probably my kid and still look good. And, there are three sizes of the K470s that are bear-resistant.

The shorter ones I show earlier in this thread are perfect for canned goods and most jars like peanut butter and pickles etc, so work wonderfully as a non-perishable pantry. I use my larger one for other kitchen staples like boxes of crackers and rice, paper goods, etc. If you're lucky, you'll find some nice plastic containers that will just fit inside to help organize contents. You can barely see them below; they stack two deep in my large Zarges. Got mine at Target and, like many good things I like to use, they were discontinued.

Either way, Zarges or Alu-Box, they will be wonderful and you'll find them well worth the expense, I believe.

View attachment 49013
Hi KSTrekker! What case are you using for that kitchen setup? Thanks!

Road

Not into ranks, titles or points.
Launch Member

Advocate III

On the road in North America
First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hi KSTrekker! What case are you using for that kitchen setup? Thanks!
I'm not KSTrekker, though you're quoting my post with my kitchen...

The box under the stove?

It is a Beavertree Camp Kitchen; very hard to find used, quite expensive new, not made anymore by the original mfg, but is by someone who evidently bought the molds and process.

Do a search for Beavertree Camp Kitchen to see a ton of images, reviews, and ways used.

The folks that are making it now are The Chuck Box Camp Kitchen , though I have not seen one of theirs in person. Let us all know if you get one and how you like it.

Here's more of mine (no way will I ever sell mine):
ch_partnerstove22-0646.jpg

beavertree_2729x800.jpg

Reactions: TroutRunner

ldelgado

Rank I

Contributor I

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Luigi
Last Name
DP
Member #

The box under the stove?

It is a Beavertree Camp Kitchen; very hard to find used, quite expensive new, not made anymore by the original mfg, but is by someone who evidently bought the molds and process.

Do a search for Beavertree Camp Kitchen to see a ton of images, reviews, and ways used.

The folks that are making it now are The Chuck Box Camp Kitchen , though I have not seen one of theirs in person. Let us all know if you get one and how you like it.

View attachment 191634

View attachment 191633
Thank you! And I apologize. I saw the name KSTrekker in there, and got confused. Yes, that kitchen box looks great! If I find one, or an equivalent, I will let you know. I'm finding myself struggling a bit to organize my gear, and so that thread has been helpful. Still trying to figure out how to store away camp chairs, sleeping bags, my Annex cover, and telescope bag. I have a Diamondback cover, and am thinking of strapping a storage box, with all that remaining gear. Since I have a Kb Vodoo 18" rack that holds my RTT, I'm looking for something that'll slide right under there. Anything less than 16" would do, but still need the area. Unless I just use a Yeti Panga bag for most of that stuff, but the price is quite a bit. I'm worried about security for those times I want to hike out on a trail, and leave all that stuff behind. Decisions decision! Lol Thank you for the input!

Reactions: FishinCrzy and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Thank you! And I apologize. I saw the name KSTrekker in there, and got confused. Yes, that kitchen box looks great! If I find one, or an equivalent, I will let you know. I'm finding myself struggling a bit to organize my gear, and so that thread has been helpful. Still trying to figure out how to store away camp chairs, sleeping bags, my Annex cover, and telescope bag. I have a Diamondback cover, and am thinking of strapping a storage box, with all that remaining gear. Since I have a Kb Vodoo 18" rack that holds my RTT, I'm looking for something that'll slide right under there. Anything less than 16" would do, but still need the area. Unless I just use a Yeti Panga bag for most of that stuff, but the price is quite a bit. I'm worried about security for those times I want to hike out on a trail, and leave all that stuff behind. Decisions decision! Lol Thank you for the input!
Yep, you bet.

Being organized when adventuring makes the trip that much less frustrating and that much more worth it. Getting the right containers that do what you want, that fit your space without wasting space, is key.

I just got four more Front Runner Cub Packs for a new van storage system I'm working on. I like them because they are straight-sided (less space wasted), thin-walled, stack really nicely, with good secure lids. When getting containers, it sure pays to shop around. These cub packs, for example, are 42.49 + 12.97 shipping on amzn, though I found them for $39.95 and free shipping over $100 on ExploreOutdoor Overland Outfitters. They're for sale all over for $36.95ea, though add shipping. Was quoted over $25 shipping for 4 at one place that had them for $36.95.

At 12.5" x 17.3" x 8.3" tall, I'll be able to slide several stacks of two under the length of my van's bed area, with built-in side storage behind that. They do really well up on my rack, too, or in my trailer or in the nosebox on end, where I keep them with two Front Runner Flat Packs as i nthe image below. Rugged lil' bastards.

cubpacks-nosebox_6620-wmkd.jpeg

I've had these for years, along with four Front Runner Wolf Packs, which are larger at approx 16" x 20" x 9" tall. They're ahead of the Beavertree in the image below. This is a load packed for highway travel, with things I might need most, or will want to unload first next camp, at the rear.

packinglanes-2-900.jpg

Hope you find what you need to get and stay organized, and have more fun while adventuring!

Viking1204

Rank V
Mod Team
Investor

Member III

Fort Walton Beach, FL
First Name
Scott
Last Name
Viking
Member #

Service Branch
Air Force Veteran
I just ordered these which will allow me to fit 3 of them across the back section of my Diamondback bed cover underneath my RTT. They will fit perfectly and allow me to get all my miscellaneous camping gear in them, took me a while to find quality totes that fit perfectly, will post pic once they arrive!

Reactions: FishinCrzy and Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

I just ordered these which will allow me to fit 3 of them across the back section of my Diamondback bed cover underneath my RTT. They will fit perfectly and allow me to get all my miscellaneous camping gear in them, took me a while to find quality totes that fit perfectly, will post pic once they arrive!

I love those Black Sterilites and use them, in a variety of sizes and depths, for a lot of storage around the house, when carpentering, and sometimes on adventures, depending on who else is coming.

The shallow ones--like 6" or so to the left in the bottom image with grey handles--are great, too. I often keep a shallow one ready to go with hatchet and forest axe, stuff for the canoe, etc:

org_0438-900.jpg

TIP: Target sometimes has them less expensive, though right now they have the 27 gal same price as Amazon, though in packs of eight.

They're good rugged totes compared to most. I like the way the handles lock, and like the way they stack.

I designed and built this storage rack with their sizes specifically in mind.

organized_0988-900.jpg

Reactions: Viking1204

ldelgado

Rank I

Contributor I

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Luigi
Last Name
DP
Member #

Thanks guys for that input! These are great options. I've bought a couple more Plano cases, and a Front Runner cube. I have an upcoming trip, and I'll let you guys know how the organization holds up. I haven't taken pictures of what I've got yet cause my garage is still a mess, but I'll document and share once I've organized. The Sterlites are a great suggestion! Thanks again!

Reactions: Road and Viking1204

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE

The box under the stove?

View attachment 191634

View attachment 191633
As I've said before, you have an exceptionally well organized and efficient rig. It's obvious you know what you want and need for your adventures.

Reactions: Road

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

As I've said before, you have an exceptionally well organized and efficient rig. It's obvious you know what you want and need for your adventures.

Thanks, Jim. Doing it a long time, as you know, helps you whittle things down to what works best for you.

Roam Bearded

Rank V

Enthusiast III

Ogden, Utah 84403, United States
First Name
Jason
Last Name
Cramer
Member #

We have 3 Pelican cases for the standard stuff. Scored them off CL and FB for a fraction of the cost. Did a video on our YouTube channel about those.
We have a Plano also that gets used here and there, working on making that a more permanent option too. Kinda keep a lot of stuff stashed in the truck that could be at home in that instead.

ldelgado

Rank I

Contributor I

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Luigi
Last Name
DP
Member #

The box under the stove?

View attachment 191634

View attachment 191633
Hey @Road,
So I went on my Death Valley trip just this week, and took some of your ideas, as well as some others on this thread. Thanks again!
So I decided to quickly build se dividers for my Plano Cases. For example, I made a "Plano Chuck", haha, for my kitchen stuff. Then I made some dividers for my propane tanks, car stuff, and some recovery gear. It helped greatly keeping things organized. Still have lots of work to do to get things organized better, but this was definitely an improvement compared to my last couple trips I've made. Thanks for the help to everyone that helped answer some of my questions.

Attachments

Road

Launch Member

Advocate III

First Name
Road
Last Name
Dude
Member #

Hey @Road,
So I went on my Death Valley trip just this week, and took some of your ideas, as well as some others on this thread. Thanks again!
So I decided to quickly build se dividers for my Plano Cases. For example, I made a "Plano Chuck", haha, for my kitchen stuff. Then I made some dividers for my propane tanks, car stuff, and some recovery gear. It helped greatly keeping things organized. Still have lots of work to do to get things organized better, but this was definitely an improvement compared to my last couple trips I've made. Thanks for the help to everyone that helped answer some of my questions.
Cool cool; glad some of my ideas were of help. Dividers are helpful in keeping things in order. You find you spend less time looking for stuff because your gear has a regular place to live when stowed.

I'm a firm believer in letting your gear tell you where it wants to live. If I find I am always putting my hatchet or a strap or something in the same place when done using it, like at the rear of my van or inside the side doors, I make a place for it there to be out of the way when I put it down. Then it's not a matter of putting it away later, or digging for it later in some box when I need it; I know right where it is 'cause that's where I left it.

The less time you spend looking for gear, the more time you have to enjoy where you are.

ldelgado

Rank I

Contributor I

Inland Empire, CA, USA
First Name
Luigi
Last Name
DP
Member #

Definitely! This trip went so much better then the first few trips I've taken, but there's still more improvement to be made. Really appreciate the help!

OverLamb24

Rank V

Advocate III

Spencerville, Maryland, United States
First Name
Carlos
Last Name
Cordero
Member #

The box under the stove?

View attachment 191634

View attachment 191633
Hey @Road,
@Idelgado

Did those 5 gallon tanks fit under the lid of the plano’s?