Orlando, FL, USA
First Name
Bryant
Last Name
S
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
GMRS: WRFC851
You definitely want to get a tire that has a good side wall even if your going to do lite offloading. The sidewall will dictate how much outward force and inward force the tire can hold before it punctures or blows. The saying holds truth sometimes cheap isn't the best and expensive doesn't t always mean the best either but something that has a good mix of both price and performance cause what going to more expensive than the one time you spend on them is the headache of having a failure in the boonies, factor the cost of a tow if any and not to mention the nagging of the wife when she tells you the speech lol

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

I know @Lanlubber already bought his tires but for others who are reading this thread and trying to make a tire decision...

I recommend an aggressive all-terrain or hybrid AT/MT for most overlanding type travel. This excludes hardcore rock crawling and mud bogging, however, good AT or hybrid will get you through quite a bit with good technique and proper equipment.

IMO a 3ply sidewall is very important and shouldn't be overlooked unless you rarely venture off graded forest roads. For vehicles unded 6,000lbs a C or D rated tire will ride better than an E or F but a lot of the popular "overlanding" sizes tend to be E. *shrug* Don't forget to look up flotation sizes (e.g. 33x10.5x17) as well!

Some good all-weather AT/Hybrid tires (with 3ply sidewalls) for general overlanding include:

Geolandar X-AT
Cooper ST Maxx
BFG KO2
Kenda Klever R/T
Milestar Patagonia
Milestar X/T
Toyo Open Country R/T and C/T

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
My new goodyear wrangler ULTRATERRAIN tires in 265/75/16 are sort of in between a normal all terrain tire and a mud terrain tire. 10 ply tire with 3 ply sidewalls, snow rated. Overall customer rating of 4.7 out of 5. I paid $899.00 for 5 tires and received a $140.00 discount from discount auto then paid almost $100 for the mount and balance. The rating was slightly better than a k02 tire but quite a bit less expensive. I would have bought Milestone Patagonias if they had them in stock, they too are an awesome tire and cheaper than all.

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

My new goodyear wrangler ULTRATERRAIN tires in 265/75/16 are sort of in between a normal all terrain tire and a mud terrain tire. 10 ply tire with 3 ply sidewalls, snow rated. Overall customer rating of 4.7 out of 5. I paid $899.00 for 5 tires and received a $140.00 discount from discount auto then paid almost $100 for the mount and balance. The rating was slightly better than a k02 tire but quite a bit less expensive. I would have bought Milestone Patagonias if they had them in stock, they too are an awesome tire and cheaper than all.
Are you sure about the 3ply sidewall? I had these on my mental list of good 2ply sidewall tires.

From Discount Tire in a thread on TacomaWorld.
Hi, Jim-

You are correct, the Wrangler UltraTerrain AT is exclusive for Discount Tire/America's Tire.

I haven't seen any first-hand reviews of this tire just yet - this is likely due to the fact that this model was recently released.

What I can tell you about this tire model is that it's designed for applications that mainly see daily duties with occasional off-road sprinkled in. The tread pattern has less void ratio (when compared to say the DuraTrac) which means it will handle better on-road while also delivering a quieter ride. The carcass utilizes 2-ply sidewall construction so it's good for light off-road conditions and rocks (picking the right line helps) and shouldn't impact MPG much as the weight is on par with other tire models in equal size/construction.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I know @Lanlubber already bought his tires but for others who are reading this thread and trying to make a tire decision...

I recommend an aggressive all-terrain or hybrid AT/MT for most overlanding type travel. This excludes hardcore rock crawling and mud bogging, however, good AT or hybrid will get you through quite a bit with good technique and proper equipment.

IMO a 3ply sidewall is very important and shouldn't be overlooked unless you rarely venture off graded forest roads. For vehicles unded 6,000lbs a C or D rated tire will ride better than an E or F but a lot of the popular "overlanding" sizes tend to be E. *shrug* Don't forget to look up flotation sizes (e.g. 33x10.5x17) as well!

Some good all-weather tires (with 3ply sidewalls) for general overlanding include:

Geolandar X-AT
Cooper ST Maxx
BFG KO2
Kenda Klever R/T
Milestar Patagonia
Milestar X/T
Toyo Open Country R/T and C/T

The Cooper ST Maxx is built on the STT's carcass.

Way thicker sidewalls and more durability than the others on this list. Incase anyone wonders why they cost more, but are also recommended more often.

BroncoFreestyle

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Phoenix, Maricopa County, Arizona, United States
First Name
Braden
Last Name
Flannery
Member #

In the last 100k on my rig I have had Duratrac's, KO2s, and now 2 sets of Coopers ST MAXXs.
for the Full Size Rigs I would recommend the Coopers, for lighter rigs the KO2s work great but I had issues with loose gravel, and wet traction. Not to mention they only lasted 25-30k on the truck. The Duratracs were great tires but do not go into the larger sizes for E range. I am on my second set of Coopers and I have very few complaints they are a bit noisy as they start to wear. but the current set has 20k on them and are about half worn down. I plan on getting them again they have handeled everything I have thrown at them.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Are you sure about the 3ply sidewall? I had these on my mental list of good 2ply sidewall tires.

From Discount Tire in a thread on TacomaWorld.
I can show you better than I can write about the Goodyear Wrangler Ultraterrain AT tire. It is not even close to what you describe here. This tire is a beast, so aggressive there is no mileage warranty. You are right about it being a new tire on the market and only Discount tire sells them. I'm not sure of the sidewall ply, I was told it was 3 ply but I cant find the info in the sales literature anywhere. The salesman told me that 3 ply was exceptional to any Radial a/t tire. Most are 2 ply. Standard non radials may be as high as 10 ply.

Attachments

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

JCWages

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

Grass Valley, CA, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Wages
Member #

The Cooper ST Maxx is built on the STT's carcass.

Way thicker sidewalls and more durability than the others on this list. Incase anyone wonders why they cost more, but are also recommended more often.
Given there are a couple of brand new tires on that list I'm not sure how you can say that with any reasonable degree of certainty. Yes, they are proven tough but better than everything else? That being said, I agree with you in that if I had to recommend a "bulletproof" tire to a friend it would be the ST Maxx. :smile:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Given there are a couple of brand new tires on that list I'm not sure how you can say that with any reasonable degree of certainty. Yes, they are proven tough but better than everything else? That being said, I agree with you in that if I had to recommend a "bulletproof" tire to a friend it would be the ST Maxx. :smile:
I don't know where Cooper is made anymore but they use to advertise that they were the only tire made in the US back when I use to buy them for my Van. Always, a dang good tire !

Reactions: JCWages

472HemiGTX

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Prineville. OR
First Name
Allen
Last Name
S
Member #

Over the years I have run Coopers, Toyo's, BFG's, GY Wranglers plus a few others. I put a set of Maxxis Razr MTs on my JK this fall and am really happy with them. They work good, are fairly quite and drive decent. I will be putting a set on the Ram next time.

a7b2bbd1-bc23-4093-bec7-8b453d4f57f5_1.393f79d477f36c512af5f98dc44b666d.jpg

M Rose

Local Expert
Mod Team

Advocate III

Northeast Oregon, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Rose
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
W7FSB
Service Branch
US ARMY Retired
I had those on my Cherokee. They worked good and held up well in the lava rock we have here.
I heard they hold up excellent to even obsidian as well, which was a secondary reason for my purchase, first was snow and ice reviews.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Coopers premier lineups are made in Ohio. Some of their bargin models might be made in korea or something IIRC.

Maxxis Razors are very nice as well. Love those tires. But it's close to impossible to find a decent Maxxis dealer around me. The buckshots suck over here, though.

Reactions: JCWages