Rank V

Influencer II

San Dimas, Ca.
First Name
Mike
Last Name
McMullen
Member #

I saw these the other day on your post and liked what I saw. I will check these out for my tire size. I thought Dick Cepek were expensive tires ?? I do have to drive a lot of sandy roads, rocky roads and muddy roads in my area. Not a lot of snow but plan some Colorado trips and I like winter driving. Thank you Billybob I know you have much experience driving off road.
Dick Cepek and Mickey Thompson tires are made and owned by Cooper Tires.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I wish Cooper could tell us what niche each brand of premium MT, that they make, is for. Might start a $4!+storm though.

Cooper Stt is good in snow.
Seems that Dick and Mickey are popular further west. Dryer compounds?

Prerunner1982

Local Expert, Oklahoma USA
Launch Member

Member III

Navina, Oklahoma
First Name
Jon
Last Name
B
Member #

Have had the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on my XJ for about 5k miles. So far I have no complaints, they are an AT tire so the mud is not their forte but they have faired ok when the dirt roads I live on get muddy (not using 4wd). Wet pavement has been great and I am hopeful for some snow this year to give them a try. I run the 265-75-16 and they are just a smidge below 32" x 10.5" wide.
IMG_20190822_200241[1].jpg

Sasquatch SC

Rank VI
Launch Member

Member III

Jefferson County, Colorado, United States
First Name
Trey
Last Name
Hayes
Member #

I wish Cooper could tell us what niche each brand of premium MT, that they make, is for. Might start a $4!+storm though.

Cooper Stt is good in snow.
Seems that Dick and Mickey are popular further west. Dryer compounds?
No, Mickey is still pretty highly preferred, especially among the fullsize truck guys. Especially the Mickey Thompson Super Swampers. They are legendary.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
Have had the Falken Wildpeak AT3Ws on my XJ for about 5k miles. So far I have no complaints, they are an AT tire so the mud is not their forte but they have faired ok when the dirt roads I live on get muddy (not using 4wd). Wet pavement has been great and I am hopeful for some snow this year to give them a try. I run the 265-75-16 and they are just a smidge below 32" x 10.5" wide.
View attachment 115085
I like the tread pattern. We don't count smidgets !!

ToddT_503

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oregon
First Name
Todd
Last Name
T
Member #

That is exactly what i mean!

Meanwhile in the Gorge we have not seen asphalt for a month and buses are still on their normal route & scheduled.
I grew up in Montana drove a mustang and only day i can recall in my 12 years of school being missed was due to wind chill it was something like -70. i think exposed skin will freeze in mins at that temp. the schools didn't want kids standing at the bus stop.

Back on topic though.
there are some other good brands out there neighbor picked up a set of Thunderer's Trac Grip MTs' great looking tread soft should last a long time on a jeep. set of 4 for my trcuk 33/12.50r20 is right at $600 IIRC.
TRAC GRIP M/T

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Try Cooper STT's if you liked the Firestones. FS is priced similar to Cooper around here. The Cooper has stickier rubber in the winter and good siping. Thicker, heavier sidewall as well.
I had a set of the Copper STT's on my Fj during one of the worst winters we have had. I woke up to fresh powder many mornings and just smiled. Tires were outstanding on unplowed roads ans stuck like glue on the hard pack.

Steve in Roanoke VA

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Roanoke VA
First Name
Steve
Last Name
Janosko
Member #

View attachment 115085
I'm thinking that they should go a lot of miles in a lighter vehicle like yours and my std. cab taco, seriously considering a set.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I'm thinking that they should go a lot of miles in a lighter vehicle like yours and my std. cab taco, seriously considering a set.
Too late for me now. I pulled the trigger yesterday on the GY Wrangler Trailrunners because Discount Tire did not have anything else in stock that was better for the price. I hope I didn't make a mistake after all the helpful advise I received here on OB. Thanks everyone for all the very good advise and input. BTW even the dealership who sells tons of BFG KO2 and KO3's said they are selling based on a previous reputation and that as far as he is concerned almost any of the tires we have discussed in this thread are as good or better than the BFG which are far and a way higher priced.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Too late for me now. I pulled the trigger yesterday on the GY Wrangler Trailrunners because Discount Tire did not have anything else in stock that was better for the price. I hope I didn't make a mistake after all the helpful advise I received here on OB. Thanks everyone for all the very good advise and input. BTW even the dealership who sells tons of BFG KO2 and KO3's said they are selling based on a previous reputation and that as far as he is concerned almost any of the tires we have discussed in this thread are as good or better than the BFG which are far and a way higher priced.
Keep us posted on how they work out.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToddT_503

ToddT_503

Rank III
Launch Member

Enthusiast II

Oregon
First Name
Todd
Last Name
T
Member #

Different Rigs will have different experiences for sure. They did cost a bit more but i am so very happy with them i will grab a tread depth on my KO2's today when i pull them off and check my mileage to get the exact numbers for the life span.

Reactions: fireyota30

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

Have tired a bunch including Coopers STT, Toyo Open Country MT, BFG KM2 and Finally overall best I used GY Duratracs which I am on my 2nd set.

Each had it's good and bad for my experience, but everyone has there own preference.image5.jpeg

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Have tired a bunch including Coopers STT, Toyo Open Country MT, BFG KM2 and Finally overall best I used GY Duratracs which I am on my 2nd set.

Each had it's good and bad for my experience, but everyone has there own preference.View attachment 115171
If what I bought are good I am sure the Duratracs would be as good or better. I think I failed to check them out because two other OB post guys said they weren't happy with them on wet roads or snow. One said he thought it was because of his roads had sea shells in the asphalt instead of gravel and that may be true on the coast or gulf roads.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I have been very impressed with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's that came on the Gladiator.

Similarly I have been impressed with the General Grabber AT2

Both are budget friendly (unless you buy them attached to a new Jeep), are reasonably quiet and have crazy good traction for an all terrain

Last edited:

MysticZT4R

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Bay Area, CA
Member #

If what I bought are good I am sure the Duratracs would be as good or better. I think I failed to check them out because two other OB post guys said they weren't happy with them on wet roads or snow. One said he thought it was because of his roads had sea shells in the asphalt instead of gravel and that may be true on the coast or gulf roads.
I been in sand, mud, snow and wet driving conditions and the Duratracs handled everything well, but your choice GY Wrangler Trailrunners is a great AT tire.

Reactions: fireyota30

jeep670

Rank IV

Pathfinder I

You had two Canadians recommending the Duratracs. If we don't know a thing or two about slush/wet/snow/ice on this side of the world, I don't know who does...
Just sayin'.

Reactions: 91B/91S

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
I have been very impressed with the Falken Wildpeak AT3W's that came on the Gladiator.

Similarly I have been impressed with the General Grabber AT2

Both are budget friendly (unless you buy them attached to a new Jeep), are reasonably quiet and have crazy good traction for an all terrain
I've heard similar good remarks. My dealership for tires (120 miles away) said that when I get there on Tuesday and didn't like the GY Wrangler Trailrunners he would let me select something different if he had them in stock. I had ordered mine online and their selection wasn't that good as they were out of everything. I didn't want to wait 3 weeks so I took what they had which is a very good tire, just not exactly what I wanted. I went to the VA clinic yesterday and the truck parked on both sides of me had Kumo tires that looked very impressive too. I've had several people recommend them to me, just didn't fit my budget since I am buying 5 new tires.

bgenlvtex

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Texas and Alaska
First Name
Bruce
Last Name
Evans
Member #

I've heard similar good remarks. My dealership for tires (120 miles away) said that when I get there on Tuesday and didn't like the GY Wrangler Trailrunners he would let me select something different if he had them in stock. I had ordered mine online and their selection wasn't that good as they were out of everything. I didn't want to wait 3 weeks so I took what they had which is a very good tire, just not exactly what I wanted. I went to the VA clinic yesterday and the truck parked on both sides of me had Kumo tires that looked very impressive too. I've had several people recommend them to me, just didn't fit my budget since I am buying 5 new tires.
Tires are definitely a "buy right, cry once" type of deal, but there are some value sweet spots to be found.

Proper installation is critical to success and happiness, all too many believe that if it is on the wheel and holding air it was done correctly, which is not necessarily the case.

Reactions: Charles M