Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
none - BREAKER BREAKER HAND HELD CB AND WALKIE TALKIE
I see that all the time also???? I live in Washington and similar to Oregon average 64 inches of rain a year, so wet is normal. Having run BFGs ATs on 3 different rigs and now KO2s on the wife's 4Runner my experience has been nothing but normal tire performance. Nothing amazing, nothing horrible. I wonder if some of it is just peoples driving habits that live in areas that don't get a lot of rain? Much like when Portland gets hit with 3 inches of snow :grinning::grinning::grinning:
What do you think about the Goodyear Wrangler Trailrunner AT ?

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

North Bonneville, WA, USA
First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Funny you would ask. I just picked up a 2019 Tacoma TRD OR and they came stock on it. I've since put 10K miles on them. Its a daily driver and so far I don't anything to rant, or rave about. The Tacoma rides kinda stiff and they drift some cornering on dirt at speed but that is probably more my speed than the tire. They are quiet and ride like most street tires. I say street tire because that is what IMO they are. Not bad, just not as aggressive as the BFG ATs, or Coopers STTs Ive owned, or the Duratracs on my service truck for work. Ill also add that they appear to be pretty soft and are showing more wear at 10K on a Tacoma than the KO2s with 30K that my wife has on her 4Runner.

So not a horrible tire but Im currently shopping for something a little more aggressive while I wear the trail runners down. I will probably pull the trigger on another set of Coopers or the KO2s.

Have not decided yet and still deciding if Im going back to skinnies like I had on my 03 Tacoma.

Billiebob

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

earth
First Name
Bill
Last Name
William
Member #

I do have to drive a lot of sandy roads, rocky roads and muddy roads in my area.
If you are on a "road", you likely don't need flotation which is what 10.50/12.50s are all about. And on a "road" with slush or rain or standing water the last thing you need at 60mph is floatation. That is where the 7.50, pizza cutter profile excels.

Buying tires is all about tuning them to what you do.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

i have heard that lots of times. only time will tell. on a 4 runner i would be happy to get the 50k out of them since they are so light. but we will see.
Thats about what im hoping also, she is running 265/70/17 and is at almost exactly 30K. Now that we are talking about it I may run out tonight and measure tread depth just for grins. I did check how they are wearing this past weekend and they are perfect. rotating them every 5K with no signs of irregular wear. None at all.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

If you are on a "road", you likely don't need flotation which is what 10.50/12.50s are all about. And on a "road" with slush or rain or standing water the last thing you need at 60mph is floatation. That is where the 7.50, pizza cutter profile excels.

That's what Im looking at for my new Tacoma. There is a reason the "Crummy" i road to work in as a teen was sitting on tall skinnies, Its almost like the loggers knew something about driving for miles and miles on dirt, gravel, mud, and snow covered roads?

Reactions: Old Griz

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Funny you would ask. I just picked up a 2019 Tacoma TRD OR and they came stock on it. I've since put 10K miles on them. Its a daily driver and so far I don't anything to rant, or rave about. The Tacoma rides kinda stiff and they drift some cornering on dirt at speed but that is probably more my speed than the tire. They are quiet and ride like most street tires. I say street tire because that is what IMO they are. Not bad, just not as aggressive as the BFG ATs, or Coopers STTs Ive owned, or the Duratracs on my service truck for work. Ill also add that they appear to be pretty soft and are showing more wear at 10K on a Tacoma than the KO2s with 30K that my wife has on her 4Runner.

So not a horrible tire but Im currently shopping for something a little more aggressive while I wear the trail runners down. I will probably pull the trigger on another set of Coopers or the KO2s.

Have not decided yet and still deciding if Im going back to skinnies like I had on my 03 Tacoma.

Quote:@Lanlubber
Thank you, I was hoping for a better report on them. I have GY Wrangler SI on my LRD2 presently in a smaller size 255/70R/16. They are holding up good for their age (about 8.5 years) They have 10,000 miles on them and still look new. They are not Trailrunners though. I'm leaning towards a little more aggressive tread though I don't know why other than I never know where or on what kind of road or trail I might be on. The tires have an excellent rating for all road conditions !!

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign

Billybob, that's my problem. I want to go everywhere I can and I don't want to be stopped by the tire I wear. Yet I don't want a tire that will shake me out of my body when I'm on pavement. To get anywhere I will have to drive on more pavement than dirt, gravel, rocky or muddy roads. Your tread looks good and the size looks to be good for a jeep to me. I know that tread will be good in mud and water which you have plenty of up there. For me I cant make a mistake because my budget wont let me. The tires I have now do a great job but I'm not taxing them on terrible roads yet. They are GY Wrangler SI, that came with the LR but they are 9 years old, look to be in good shape but I don't want to take any chances with them. Thanks for you input, it is appreciated and helpful !

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Thats about what im hoping also, she is running 265/70/17 and is at almost exactly 30K. Now that we are talking about it I may run out tonight and measure tread depth just for grins. I did check how they are wearing this past weekend and they are perfect. rotating them every 5K with no signs of irregular wear. None at all.
Rotating will usually get you pretty close to the warranty I have learned. I just rotated today on my 4wd Escape. This is the third rotation in 4 years and the tires still look new. They have about 25,000 miles on them so I'm a little long on rotations for that rig.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Rotating will usually get you pretty close to the warranty I have learned. I just rotated today on my 4wd Escape. This is the third rotation in 4 years and the tires still look new. They have about 25,000 miles on them so I'm a little long on rotations for that rig.
Absolutely, and need to be even more diligent the more aggressive the tire is. I have let some MTs slide past the 5000 mark (when I was younger) and once the issues begin it can be hard to correct.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

So quick check of the tread wear on the 265/70r16 Trailrunner ATs.

At 9400 miles with one rotation at 5000 I have consistent wear on all 4 tires at 9/32” of tread remaining.

The specs say they started at 12/32”

They are wearing evenly, but at this rate I’ll swap them out before the snow starts to fall.

7901E692-3B83-4B63-BA78-8AD71D4EDBB2.jpeg

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
So quick check of the tread wear on the 265/70r16 Trailrunner ATs.

At 9400 miles with one rotation at 5000 I have consistent wear on all 4 tires at 9/32” of tread remaining.

The specs say they started at 12/32”

They are wearing evenly, but at this rate I’ll swap them out before the snow starts to fall.
The tires I'm looking at have 15/32 deep tread, The LT (?) have 12/32" like yours. so you have worn 1/4 of the tread in 9400 miles. Your tread doesn't look like the tread on the tires I'm looking at:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Absolutely, and need to be even more diligent the more aggressive the tire is. I have let some MTs slide past the 5000 mark (when I was younger) and once the issues begin it can be hard to correct.
Alignment is important as well. I have it checked every 20,000 miles or less. Depends on how many big rocks I run in too accidently. My wife use to knock them out of alignment 2-3 times a year hitting car stops to fast in the shopping centers. It's not as easy to knock them out with a straight axle, which I have now.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

The tires I'm looking at have 15/32 deep tread, The LT (?) have 12/32" like yours. so you have worn 1/4 of the tread in 9400 miles. Your tread doesn't look like the tread on the tires I'm looking at:
Looks like I have a different model. Not the trail runner but the adventure AT with Kevlar” :):):)

This is the tire that came on the Tacoma.

It says on their site 11/32” so I gained an 1/32” in wear.

Last edited:

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
Looks like I have a different model. Not the trail runner but the adventure AT with Kevlar” :):):)

This is the tire that came on the Tacoma.

It says on their site 11/32” so I gained an 1/32” in wear.
Thanks for the comparisons. Doesn't tell us much does it ? I know it's a good tire, I just don't know if it's as good as I want it to be in case I have an extreme situation I could be dumb enough to get myself in to 60 miles out in the boonies.
I hope I'm not dumb enough to go there alone but crazy old men do a lot of things they shouldn't. LOL

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

Thanks for the comparisons. Doesn't tell us much does it ? I know it's a good tire, I just don't know if it's as good as I want it to be in case I have an extreme situation I could be dumb enough to get myself in to 60 miles out in the boonies.
I hope I'm not dumb enough to go there alone but crazy old men do a lot of things they shouldn't. LOL
I wasn’t really expecting much from a tire supplied on a new vehicle and planned on upgrading before winter. I am however surprised at how fast it’s wearing.

Lanlubber In Remembrance

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Mimbres, NM, USA
First Name
Jim
Last Name
covey sr
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
The younger guys at work laugh at me when I tell them they need to replace those “Bologna skins” they got on their new trucks.
I learned everything I know from listening to my elders and weighing their opinions with what I think I already know. Now I'm having to learn from the young guys like you. Everyone with experience has something to offer and there are plenty of people in OB with knowledge I need. This is why I like OB forum, there is a ton of good info here, some bad, but not on purpose, and all good to evaluate.

Ghost

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

First Name
Trever
Last Name
M
Member #

I learned everything I know from listening to my elders and weighing their opinions with what I think I already know. Now I'm having to learn from the young guys like you. Everyone with experience has something to offer and there are plenty of people in OB with knowledge I need. This is why I like OB forum, there is a ton of good info here, some bad, but not on purpose, and all good to evaluate.
I agree 100%. OB is loaded with a variety of people with different levels of experience. That’s why I joined also, great opportunity to learn. As for myself I’d never claim to be an expert in anything, but being old enough to carry an AARP card I’ve been around the block a couple of times and may have something to offer.