Rank V

Advocate I

Massachusetts
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Beagle
Member #

Scout (the Beagle, the Thunder Beagle) has a Kurgo Tru-Fit harness which can plug into the seat belt receiver with the included tether, or wrap around a seatbelt with a second tether with a swivel carabiner. Crash tested. Stainless "nesting" hardware like linesmen use, as opposed to plastic clips.

We drove all over the place last spring and he slept with us in the back of the pickup, which is covered by a Leer 180 camper shell. Built a platform for gear under and an air mattress and sleeping bags on top. Turned out pretty good

Last edited:
Reactions: RN J

Enthusiast III

Denver, CO, USA
First Name
Jon
Last Name
Ford
Member #

Service Branch
Former EMT
I built a little camper box in a 5x8 utility trailer that we can all fit in. It holds a standard Queen sized mattress with room for an indoor heater or air conditioner on one side and shelves for clothes on the other.
Do you happen to have a thread on this? I am considering doing the exact same, sleeping in my short bed truck isn't quite doable now that I have a dog...

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I built a little camper box in a 5x8 utility trailer that we can all fit in. It holds a standard Queen sized mattress with room for an indoor heater or air conditioner on one side and shelves for clothes on the other.
Do you happen to have a thread on this? I am considering doing the exact same, sleeping in my short bed truck isn't quite doable now that I have a dog...
Not a trailer only thread, but occasional updates.

R

RN J

I think of that too. Ground tent here so they sleep in the tent but I am thinking a tear drop or a RTT in the future. I thought maybe on the tear drop there would be a RTT I would be up top and the dogs inside...But also talking a lot of cash there. I hav ea crew cab truck so maybe they can sleep in the truck. Carrying black labs up a ladder to the RTT is not going to happen especially when they decide 5am is a good time to get up and start giving kissy face to go potty.
Either way I consider it a good problem to have because I won't travel without them so it'll make me figure it out.

Maybe if cash was there then Id buy a cap build a custom crate system in the back and they can sleep there and I can drag my gear in a trailer like a Intech or other style tear drop. haha.
Hi. Sorry if I'm barging in uninvited...
I'm in the same boat (or tent, haha).

My GSD Hercules sleeps with me as well. He's my service dog, so really don't want to leave him at home, nor locked in the vehicle. He's camped with me (ground tent). I'm really liking the idea of an RTT (no worries about snakes or scorpions in the tent) but no way can I hoist my 98# and still growing dog into a roof tent!
I have a friend that has one of those tents that secures in the pick up truck bed. But she has to totally unload the bed to pitch the tent, leaving her gear on the ground outside, then reversing to break camp. No way I'm that industrious. Obviously, that's how the roof tent evolved!
If anyone can figure out how to get my pup into a roof tent, let me know! I haven't seen any RTTs that have a 'window' looking out the direction of the windshield ... I' would consider putting a door there and rigging up some sort of roll down "traction field" that exits the window-door that goes over the windshield and hood of the vehicle. From there, I'm thinking one of those treaded plank devices for elderly dogs might be able to somehow be rigged up.

Any engineers or inventors want to weigh in on that rough idea? I would be using the ladder from the regular entrance.
Would bears be able to figure out that route?
Just pondering...

Reactions: BlackDog1

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

You can get a telescopic ladder , longer so the slope is a bit more gentle and adapt it for a dog, attach some wider no slip materials steps
Or thinking out of my ass here, a small pulley attached to the roof bar to lift a basket.. :)

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

My GSD Hercules sleeps with me as well. He's my service dog, so really don't want to leave him at home, nor locked in the vehicle. He's camped with me (ground tent). I'm really liking the idea of an RTT (no worries about snakes or scorpions in the tent) but no way can I hoist my 98# and still growing dog into a roof tent!
I have a friend that has one of those tents that secures in the pick up truck bed. But she has to totally unload the bed to pitch the tent, leaving her gear on the ground outside, then reversing to break camp. No way I'm that industrious. Obviously, that's how the roof tent evolved!
If anyone can figure out how to get my pup into a roof tent, let me know! I haven't seen any RTTs that have a 'window' looking out the direction of the windshield ... I' would consider putting a door there and rigging up some sort of roll down "traction field" that exits the window-door that goes over the windshield and hood of the vehicle. From there, I'm thinking one of those treaded plank devices for elderly dogs might be able to somehow be rigged up.

Any engineers or inventors want to weigh in on that rough idea? I would be using the ladder from the regular entrance.
Just pondering...
there's always this set up. Just hitch it up...

JacksonRL

Rank VII

Educator I

York County, South Carolina, United States
First Name
Jackson
Last Name
Lewis
Member #

Service Branch
USMC
I think of that too. Ground tent here so they sleep in the tent but I am thinking a tear drop or a RTT in the future. I thought maybe on the tear drop there would be a RTT I would be up top and the dogs inside...But also talking a lot of cash there. I hav ea crew cab truck so maybe they can sleep in the truck. Carrying black labs up a ladder to the RTT is not going to happen especially when they decide 5am is a good time to get up and start giving kissy face to go potty.
Either way I consider it a good problem to have because I won't travel without them so it'll make me figure it out.

Maybe if cash was there then Id buy a cap build a custom crate system in the back and they can sleep there and I can drag my gear in a trailer like a Intech or other style tear drop. haha.

Just pondering...
Maybe this.

Kind of pricey. I’ve been considering it. Both of mine go wherever I go and they refuse to sleep anywhere other than beside me.

R

RN J

Can you post a picture of it, by chance?

R

RN J

there's always this set up. Just hitch it up...
Wow! That’s great! Thanks for your input! It’s very much appreciated! Being this new to overlanding, I have no idea what’s available, nor on-line stores to check out!

Reactions: BlackDog1
R

RN J

re: Doggo RTT Ramp… thanks also for your input and link!
LOL - There’s a K*I*S*S moment if I ever read one!!!

R

RN J

It is sitting about 3 inches taller since these pictures.
Oh! I like that! How is it 3” taller? Did you add after market shocks?
Sadly, I know very little about vehicle mechanics and maintenance.
I do know woodworking, though!

R

RN J

You can get a telescopic ladder , longer so the slope is a bit more gentle and adapt it for a dog, attach some wider no slip materials steps
Or thinking out of my ass here, a small pulley attached to the roof bar to lift a basket.. :)
BlackDog1showed me the DOGGO RTT Ramp!
Some good ideas have come from ‘thinking out of one’s a**’!
I’m thinking a basket big enough for a 98# GSD [German Shepherd Dog] however, would be too big (not to mention he’d likely bail on that idea pretty quickly). I also think my dog would pee his tail if I hooked him up to a pulley and swung him over open air with the intent of then lowering him (which was actually my first thought to how to get him up into an RTT) In which case, the “5am is a good time to get up and start giving kissy face to go potty” [BlackDog1] might be “problem solved”!

Reactions: NHMachinist

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

Oh! I like that! How is it 3” taller? Did you add after market shocks?
Sadly, I know very little about vehicle mechanics and maintenance.
I do know woodworking, though!
No, I relocated the leaf springs to be sitting on top of the axle instead of hanging under it. There should be pics in my project thread.

splinter

Rank I

Contributor III

California, USA
First Name
John
Last Name
Lowry
In a ground tent, it’s self explanatory where my dog sleeps, but now that I’m going to get a tent cot and eventually an RTT getting the dog in there with me brings some logistical problem

I have a fold up kennel that would pack easy, and my dog is crate trained even though I usually let her sleep outside of the crate. A couple blankets inside and one over the top would be great unless it was super cold, and then the dog would stay home with the family

what do you all do with your dogs?
We sleep in the back of the truck and the dog sleeps in the cab. He is !00 pounds so to big to sleep with us. I removed the back seat and made a sleeping platform with bedding for him.

j2dxplr

Rank III

Enthusiast I

Tempe, Arizona, United States
First Name
Jacq and Jeremy
Last Name
Davis
Member #

We have an iKamper Skycamp 2.0 RTT on our Jeep JLUR. We bring a yoga mat to put on the hood and windshield to create a “runway” to give our 40lbs pup traction to climb in and out of the tent from the wide window by herself. She waits on the hood for us to climb down to get her from the hood to the ground and we just pick her up and set her on the hood to climb up to the tent.

Attachments

MarioT'sCJResto

Rank V
Launch Member

Contributor II

First Name
Christopher
Last Name
Laboy
Member #

In a ground tent, it’s self explanatory where my dog sleeps, but now that I’m going to get a tent cot and eventually an RTT getting the dog in there with me brings some logistical problem

I have a fold up kennel that would pack easy, and my dog is crate trained even though I usually let her sleep outside of the crate. A couple blankets inside and one over the top would be great unless it was super cold, and then the dog would stay home with the family

what do you all do with your dogs?
Like you I also have a ground tent, I just didn't see the RTT as a viable option for 2 overgrown rug rats. Now for my tent I went with the 10foot Canvas Bell Tent from White Duck Outdoors, and I will be picking up the 9x12 canvas tent from Kodiak Tents. So for me, even with 2 pups I don't any issues. I have enough room to bring two crates and if I ever decide to switch to an RTT I will go with one that has the enclosed awning option for the pups / Roofnest, 23Zero, or Roam

R

RN J