orange01z28

Rank II

Enthusiast III

Queen Creek, AZ, USA
First Name
Andrew
Last Name
Bennett
In a ground tent, it’s self explanatory where my dog sleeps, but now that I’m going to get a tent cot and eventually an RTT getting the dog in there with me brings some logistical problem

I have a fold up kennel that would pack easy, and my dog is crate trained even though I usually let her sleep outside of the crate. A couple blankets inside and one over the top would be great unless it was super cold, and then the dog would stay home with the family

what do you all do with your dogs?

Reactions: RN J

BlackDog1

Rank II

Enthusiast III

The Mitt
First Name
John
Last Name
C
Member #

I think of that too. Ground tent here so they sleep in the tent but I am thinking a tear drop or a RTT in the future. I thought maybe on the tear drop there would be a RTT I would be up top and the dogs inside...But also talking a lot of cash there. I hav ea crew cab truck so maybe they can sleep in the truck. Carrying black labs up a ladder to the RTT is not going to happen especially when they decide 5am is a good time to get up and start giving kissy face to go potty.
Either way I consider it a good problem to have because I won't travel without them so it'll make me figure it out.

Maybe if cash was there then Id buy a cap build a custom crate system in the back and they can sleep there and I can drag my gear in a trailer like a Intech or other style tear drop. haha.

Longshot270

Rank V
Launch Member

Experimenter I

DFW, TX
First Name
Colby
Last Name
M
Member #

I built a little camper box in a 5x8 utility trailer that we can all fit in. It holds a standard Queen sized mattress with room for an indoor heater or air conditioner on one side and shelves for clothes on the other.

RedMochi

Rank I

Enthusiast I

Alameda, CA, USA
First Name
Florentino
Last Name
Tong
I have a tent where my dog and I sleep in, we each have a sleeping bag that keep us warm or warmer when she sleeps besides me.

Roof top tent would be a little difficult for me to carry up/down a 35 lb dog, so I can only imagine anyone with a full grown lab or anything bigger. A tear drop or sort trailer will be better, but it does cost a lot and you have to tow it.

Reactions: Advtres

MSD

Rank V
Investor

Advocate III

Colorado, USA
First Name
Mark
Last Name
Duff
Member #

In the jeep they (2 dogs) sleep down below in dogs beds & I sleep in the Ursa Minor pop top up above. In the van same goes but there’s a bench seat that folds out to a bed so they get that some times. Most the time they just want to sleep on the floor cause it padded so must be comfortable for them…

Reactions: Desert Runner

Pathfinder I

Canada
First Name
Craig
Last Name
PereferNotToSay
This is a question that has come up a few times, and no wonder - adventures with dogs are better than adventures without!

For us, the dogs stay with us in our Roof Tent. They get in by climbing up the hood and hopping onto the roof. The first few seasons of RTT camping we used a rubber blanket for grip, but that became a hassle to deploy and pack away so now we use stick-on traction pads (like what would be used on ladders or walkways in wet environments) and it serves the same purpose. Dogs get in and out fairly easily.

Last edited:

Grendel

Rank IV
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

San diego
Member #

So we have both a RTT and a teardrop. The RTT we move back and fourth between the truck and the teardrop. It's my wife, son (7), our 90lb mastiff shepard and me. During warm camping he sleeps in the annex. Cold with teardrop he sleeps in the teardrop at the foot of the bed, but he usually weasels his way between us in the middle of the night. Now when we use the RTT I made a ramp using a 16ft telescoping ladder and entry runner from home depot. (the cheap stuff that you cut to size for about $1 ft) I zip tied it to the ladder. It's convenient and packs up small. I just extend the ladder and it pulls the runner taut so he can climb up and down. The first time going up and down was a chore, but he just runs up and down now.

Reactions: RN J and lhoffm4

94Cruiser

Rank VI
Launch Member

Explorer I

Suisun City, California
Member #

Our Schnoodle comes with us... He just wants to be everyone's friend...

We do have either a long leash we hang over the Firestik, or a small portable pen (takes up a ton of space)... We end up not using the pen much... He sleeps with us regardless if in the back of the Cruiser, a tent or our old pop up trailer...

OB Bald Mountain 2018 meetup

43688324_662934263955_7799125147373273088_n.jpg

EBasil

Rank VI

Influencer I

San Diego, CA, USA
First Name
Erik
Last Name
Basil
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KK6LBE
Our lab rides in a lined-out rear seat, clipped in via a set belt attachment to his collar. At night, he's on the floor of our ground tent, on top of Mexican blankets for ground insulation.

Attachments

Reactions: Advtres

Enthusiast III

Chandler, AZ
First Name
Jake
Last Name
McCurdy
This is a question that has come up a few times, and no wonder - adventures with dogs are better than adventures without!

For us, the dogs stay with us in our Roof Tent. They get in by climbing up the hood and hopping onto the roof. The first few seasons of RTT camping we used a rubber blanket for grip, but that became a hassle to deploy and pack away so now we use stick-on traction pads (like what would be used on ladders or walkways in wet environments) and it serves the same purpose. Dogs get in and out fairly easily.

Seeing that dog enter exit via the hood was amazing.

Reactions: ChasingOurTrunks

grubworm

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

louisiana
First Name
grub
Last Name
worm
Member #

Service Branch
USN-Submarines
if we take the camp trailer, Allie sleeps in bed with us and if we are just taking the truck with cap and sleeping in there, she sleeps in the back seat of the truck on her blanket.
if we're in a sketchy area, she sleeps under the truck with a long leash so she can access an intruder if needs be...
(she's really the wife's dog, but who can say NO to having an emergency source of protein around?)

1644795296427.png

Last edited:

lhoffm4

Rank III

Advocate I

Boise, Idaho
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Hoffman
Service Branch
US Navy
Old Bear is a 12 yrs old chocolate lab. Had to get him a ramp this year so he can get into the back seat of the truck. Like me, he thinks he’s younger than he is, so We didn’t want to chance him getting hurt trying to get into a roof tent. We put his crate in the annex and I sleep there too on a cot. If he stays home with my Son, we will sleep in the tent. He thinks he’s a human and gets cranky if we don’t sleep where he does...

Reactions: Sparksalot

Magic Mike

US Full-time/Long Term Travel Ambassador
Launch Member

Expedition Master I

Rapid City, South Dakota, United States
First Name
Michael
Last Name
Lee
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KM6YKV
Service Branch
Army & Marine Corps
My wife and I have been living a full time overland Life for approximately 8 months now and our boy Gunner goes right a long with us. He loves to travel and loves to camp. Originally when we were using an RTT he would sleep in our rig, while we were up in the tent. Now we have a Patriot Camper X1H and we have taught him to climb the ladder and he sleeps with us at the foot of the bed. We also removed the back seats in out 4Runner and put in a plate system, he has the entire passenger side and a bed.tempImagenT7Ofo.pngtempImageMNMZhN.pngtempImagegGTS7v.png

OTH Overland

Local Expert Washington, USA
Investor

Trail Blazer III

Camano Island, WA, USA
First Name
Dave
Last Name
Ballard
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
N7XQP
Service Branch
Fire/EMS/SAR
We have an old GSD with hip dysplasia, we have been using a ground tent, but are now changing to a 23 zero roof top tent with a fully enclosed annex for the dog kennel, and to have the ability to come down out of the weather and get dressed etc. No way we would be able to get her up into the tent without injury, and will be nice to not have hair all over the bedding lol. She loves her soft sided folding kennel, and we throw a blanket over the top to help keep drafts off.

leeloo

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Luxembourg
First Name
Mihai
Last Name
Doros
Member #

I am new dog owner, I got a chocolate Labrador puppy, long coat, he is 4 months old now. No long travel plan yet, but most likely he will either sleep in a ground tent with us or in the Disco 4 with my 14 year old kid ( he prefers to sleep in the car, he does not like tents. ) .
So far we took him on a 2 h long drive, he seems to be fine with it, he is not car sick and he seemed relaxed.
First long travel will be in about a month, where I will have to cover 2200 km in a couple of days.
72049.jpg

l_vandyke

Rank V
Launch Member

Enthusiast III

Dodgetown, NC, USA
First Name
Lee
Last Name
Vandyke
Member #

Izzy loves going camping. She rides in the backseat while we drive and then sleeps in the bed of the truck image the camper on her bed while I sleep up top. She does great camping and always gets super excited whenever she sees me loading up the truck

Attachments