What do you do for water?

• HTML tutorial

Harwood39

Rank I
Launch Member

Traveler I

Fargo, ND
Member #

Iodine??? Ever have to use b4? Curious?? Ok one weird thing I carry is a saw blade like the guy in Utah I think who got stuck under a rock had to saw off his arm so thought about it & bought a mini blade looks like a rope just in case. Never know when trekking what the terrain could look like.
They are iodine tablets specifically for water. They kill anything in the water before you drink it. I have used them a lot. Look up cohglans or Potable Aqua. Both make the 2 part kit.

KE0QXG
WRAI785

Reactions: ❤️Lovey❤️

❤️Lovey❤️

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California
Member #

Water jugs for cooking, drinking, etc, and also keep a Coleman solar heated camp shower filled that I use for washing hands, etc while doing kitchen work.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk
I bring my new LED lantern lasts longer & keeps away animals at night!!! I pick up the 99 cent head lights from Walmart & hang them in my tent ⛺ so I can read. Also led. I have found my gas lantern gives off a slight noise that keeps animals away so I’m super remote areas I’ll use it.

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

A53D33CE-CDFC-4F1E-9D87-16B5DCDA31E6.jpeg 07E0C800-8857-4EBA-AEEC-EBC233051E8B.jpeg 4D3E32C2-3202-4985-8A13-8D306141643C.jpeg I plumbed a marine washdown pump with a strainer to one or two 5 gal reliance water bladders at the other end a spigot and coil hose in my truck. I was going to use a fixed water tank but decided to go portable so I could fill them anywhere. I also have a hose fitting that can be attached to my drip pan on my air cond. It amazing how much water you can recover on a humid day. I can also leave the bladders in the sun for a nice hot shower. I have an adaptor that can go to a garden hose that I can run to a creek, pond or other clean water source for unlimited water. Comes in handy to wash the truck down in the field. We live in Fl so for the beach its the ticket. Covered with saltwater and sand? ....no problem! Bottled water for cooking. Sawyer filters on hydration packs.

Last edited:

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Ok @Lovey now you really impress the heck out of me! First the pee bottle, Not to be gross and guess I am a bit dumb but dont you need incredible aim to do that? I have seen these devices that allow women to pee standing so that would work.....And doing it in a cave, awesome and impressive, then you hit me with the saw to sut off your arm? WOW You knocked me over with that one, you ma'am are awesome!

Jim

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
@Flipper can you post a pic of a drawing for this or is it just as you described above? I am doing this, love the idea! Now do I need the marine pump or would an RV pump work or some other? Do you have the model of pump or link?

Thanks in advance

Jim

❤️Lovey❤️

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California
Member #

Ok @Lovey now you really impress the heck out of me! First the pee bottle, Not to be gross and guess I am a bit dumb but dont you need incredible aim to do that? I have seen these devices that allow women to pee standing so that would work.....And doing it in a cave, awesome and impressive, then you hit me with the saw to sut off your arm? WOW You knocked me over with that one, you ma'am are awesome!

Jim
Lol TY. I carry a pee funnel when I cave to help preserve the caves condition we leave nothing behind. Which means I carry a poop back triple sealed with deodorizer they actually sell them for caving!!!!

❤️Lovey❤️

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California
Member #

Imagine being out in the snow wrapped warmly in your tent ⛺ but Mother Nature calls...there are times where I was snowpacked in I couldn’t leave my tent!!! I also carry a propane heater for my tent small compact

Reactions: Jim SoG

Flipper

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Florida
First Name
John
Last Name
F
Member #

@Flipper can you post a pic of a drawing for this or is it just as you described above? I am doing this, love the idea! Now do I need the marine pump or would an RV pump work or some other? Do you have the model of pump or link?

Thanks in advance

Jim
Basically its a washdown system for a boat. You can buy a kit with 80% of the pieces needed the rest Home Depot or Ace. You could use a RV pump, same product but the marine one is more weather resistant. You can find the pumps on Amazon, Walmart.com. The good ones are made by Surflo or Flojet. You can get the reliance water bladders at walmart in the camping section for under $10, they fit perfect in a milk crate for structure, they are lite, cheap, easy to keep clean, dont need to vent it, it just colapses,fill them anywhere and you can daisy chain them with t fittings. What really worked out nice is the 1/2 hose fits perfectly on the spout of the bladder you dont even need a hose clamp on it since it is negative or no pressure on this side of the pump. The filter is called a pump guard by Jabsco pn 46400-9500, this pops right on the intake fitting of the pump. Easy to clean, you just unscrew the clear top an dump it out. The output hose goes to the spigot, you can get the barb and spigot at HD or Ace. Super easy project you can knock out in a couple hours. Any questions give me a shout.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jim SoG

Robert Jordan

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Grass Valley, CA
Member #

Personally we bring some water with us but for most of the time we use a Katadyn Vario water filter. It has served us quite well over the years and never has let us down. I will be purchasing some Water Bricks at some point though.

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

We bring 2 gallons of water per person for everyday we plan on being gone. Maybe less if we are going to stay in a campground where we have access to running water.

I"m also looking into outfitting our OV with a WaterPORT Day Tank for showers and other multiple cleaning options when back country camping.

JandAOffRoad

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Yorba Linda, CA
First Name
Jeff
Last Name
Petsche
Member #

GratefulFozzie

Rank V
Launch Member

Influencer II

Pittsburgh
Member #

I picked up a couple 6.5g water cans at Walmart about 12$each. They worked really well for 5 days in the woods. Didn’t leak. I cannot say how they would be for long trips in the heat. But good for weekend treks

Sent from my iPhone using OB Talk

MOAK

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Wernersville Public Library, North Reber Street, Wernersville, PA, USA
First Name
Donald
Last Name
Diehl
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
WRPN 506
We have a pair of water tanks built into our trailer and carry a 7 gallon blue container in the rig. We fill up our our hydration systems in our back pack and day packs and in our 4 gallon solar shower bag.. All told, a little over 30 gallons which is more than enough for 5 or 6 days in even the hottest, driest conditions. We've never run out. However, If we should be faced with having to walk out or having to wait for a rescue we also carry a filtration system in our back packs that feeds directly into our hydration bladders..

Reactions: JandAOffRoad

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I wanted to buy like 3 waterbricks and found a 10 pack for just a little more than the 3 pack, so now I got plenty of storage....Gotta get a trailer to carry it all....LOL

Reactions: Steve

Laud

Rank VI
Launch Member

Influencer I

Southeast Arlington TX
First Name
Laud
Last Name
Maroney
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
-KG5QHC-
Service Branch
Air Force and Army
Weight doesn't really mean that much to my platform, therefore we carry 42 gallons of potable water in a food grade tank that has a 12V pump at 50psi. We shower, wash, drink, rinse. for a full week of moving. I schedule our refills during trip planning. Tank is located where the rear seat was and in the middle for best COG with this amount of fluid movement. We fill smaller bottles and chuck them in the fridge to keep cold water available.

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Weight doesn't really mean that much to my platform, therefore we carry 42 gallons of potable water in a food grade tank that has a 12V pump at 50psi. We shower, wash, drink, rinse. for a full week of moving. I schedule our refills during trip planning. Tank is located where the rear seat was and in the middle for best COG with this amount of fluid movement. We fill smaller bottles and chuck them in the fridge to keep cold water available.
What rig do you have, any pics of this container set up?
Interesting.....

jim