Launch Member

Influencer II

Methuen, MA
First Name
Chris
Last Name
BRV
Member #

I bring plenty of water. But I also keep a sawyer squeeze in my emergency bag so I can at least filter whatever I get on trail.

Reactions: Nickzero

❤️Lovey❤️

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California
Member #

I carry a two containers of water pretty large actually. One has an inverted spout I can attach a shower hose to off grid & this last trip to Carlsbad I used it to drink & shower after caving!!! Then a smaller container for drinking with ice... or if my car ever overheats I got plenty of water even I don’t use but I’ve used it tooooo many times not to be prepared!!!

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
I carry a two containers of water pretty large actually. One has an inverted spout I can attach a shower hose to off grid & this last trip to Carlsbad I used it to drink & shower after caving!!! Then a smaller container for drinking with ice... or if my car ever overheats I got plenty of water even I don’t use but I’ve used it tooooo many times not to be prepared!!!
I had 2 3 gal water jugs like you and one got a hole, I didnt notice and 3 gals went all over......I carried 6 gals 24/7, now I am searching for a good price on jerry cans, never plastic again! Also I off road weekly so there is extra bouncing going on.

Jim

Reactions: ❤️Lovey❤️

❤️Lovey❤️

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California
Member #

I had 2 3 gal water jugs like you and one got a hole, I didnt notice and 3 gals went all over......I carried 6 gals 24/7, now I am searching for a good price on jerry cans, never plastic again! Also I off road weekly so there is extra bouncing going on.

Jim
Some come with rubber protectors yeah I carry sealing tape & learned to lock my gear down.. learned that the hard way! Need to check with some of my friends see what they use. Metal containers?? Army style?

Jim SoG

Forums Manager
Staff member
Investor

Educator I

Reno, Nevada, United States
First Name
Jim
Last Name
Bro
Member #

Service Branch
USAF DAV
Some come with rubber protectors yeah I carry sealing tape & learned to lock my gear down.. learned that the hard way! Need to check with some of my friends see what they use. Metal containers?? Army style?
I locked my gear down or so I thought, but I carry a ton of stuff daily and it is packed tight, seemed to rub or poke a small hole in the side near the bottom...

Yes, Army style.

Jim

Red Earth Runner

Rank I
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Bethany, OK
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KI5AXG
In the middle is a plastic milk crate holding a 5 gal bladder (like a Coughligans or some such). It rides with the nozzle up, and when in use, I just flip it over. No chafing due to it riding in the milk crate.

Sent from my iPad using OB Talk

slomatt

Rank V

Influencer I

Bay Area, CA
When dispersed camping? I know bring it but do you do anything else?

Jim
Keep in mind that you might need more water than you might expect, especially if you are going to have a campfire that needs to be doused and you are not near a lake or a stream. I put a bucket under my water jug and collect the runoff from washing hands, this is then dumped on the fire when I leave the campsite.

Personally I like to keep drinking water separate from the camping water so that if I use all my camping water doing dishes I still have plenty to drink. Hydration is #1.

If you are going out to a remote location for an extended period of time it might be good to bring a filter so that you can collect water from lakes and rivers.

If you bring soap make sure it is biodegradable and don't dump it on the ground anywhere near a natural water source.

Knitron

US Rocky Mountain Region Local Expert Utah
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Clearfield, UT
First Name
Jason
Last Name
T
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7EBG
Trailer carries 20 gals. If I'm going to be gone longer than 2 nights I'll carry at least another 5 gals if not more. Going to install a second 20 gals tank sometime. Also carry a case of water bottles in the truck.

OB# 3805

❤️Lovey❤️

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California
Member #

Trailer carries 20 gals. If I'm going to be gone longer than 2 nights I'll carry at least another 5 gals if not more. Going to install a second 20 gals tank sometime. Also carry a case of water bottles in the truck.

OB# 3805
I do the water bottles too cuz I can use as a pee bottle in a cave if needed. Plan B

❤️Lovey❤️

Rank V
Launch Member

Pathfinder I

California
Member #

Carry as much with me as possible without overdoing it. Also have always used iodine tablets while backpacking.

KE0QXG
WRAI785
Iodine??? Ever have to use b4? Curious?? Ok one weird thing I carry is a saw blade like the guy in Utah I think who got stuck under a rock had to saw off his arm so thought about it & bought a mini blade looks like a rope just in case. Never know when trekking what the terrain could look like.