Launch Member

Member II

Christchurch, New Zealand
First Name
Ryan
Last Name
Frank
Member #

Not to start a war here, but what about an OG Defender is great than a 4 door Rubi? Some of the Defenders are obviously shorter and thus have a tighter turning radius and better break-over angle... but there are 2 door Rubis for that.

-TJ
The OG Defenders are cool and all and I would love to have one but <whispers> they're kinda shit as far as a vehicle goes.

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
Not to start a war here, but what about an OG Defender is great than a 4 door Rubi? Some of the Defenders are obviously shorter and thus have a tighter turning radius and better break-over angle... but there are 2 door Rubis for that.

-TJ
No actually, we found them less capable than the Wranglers. After all the hype. It was disappointing. I expected them to use the JK's as a benchmark to beat this time around. Instead, they made a perfect ride for a Starbuck promotional wrap. Maybe door to door Lancome sales ladies.

They lacked flex, most lacked lockers. They just didn't climb as well as we expected. The stuff they did well, we were already doing with trucks.

We make fun of LR owners.
LR owners make fun of BMW x5 owners.
BMW x5 owners make fun of........

tjZ06

Rank V
Launch Member

Advocate I

Las Vegas/Palo Alto
First Name
mynameisntallowed
Last Name
Adams
Member #

No actually, we found them less capable than the Wranglers. After all the hype. It was disappointing. I expected them to use the JK's as a benchmark to beat this time around. Instead, they made a perfect ride for a Starbuck promotional wrap. Maybe door to door Lancome sales ladies.

They lacked flex, most lacked lockers. They just didn't climb as well as we expected. The stuff they did well, we were already doing with trucks.
Ah, sorry misunderstood your original post.

-TJ

Reactions: MidOH

Anak

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

Sandy Eggo
"Capable" very much depends on what you intend to do in the first place. And that is going to differ from one person to another.

Something that matters a lot to me is the ability to modify the vehicle to suit my needs as my needs change. For me, the more integrated systems a manufacturer includes and the more complicated the suspension system the less "capable" in my world view. But that is me. I hardly leave anything stock. YMMV.

m_lars

Rank V
Launch Member

Off-Road Ranger I

Heber City, Utah
First Name
Matt
Last Name
Larson
Member #

Ham/GMRS Callsign
KJ7ATX
I contend that if Land Rover did themselves a disservice by not updating the original and then discontinuing it, only to come out with something so radically different years later. If they had done what Toyota did with the land cruiser it wouldn't be so polarizing.

-TJ
I don't think he was saying the original, I think he's saying the new Defender. I am also assuming he's talking stock vs stock since there are so many bolt-ons for the Jeep.

If the original was so incapable back then, why is it still so coveted. The rig was leaps and bounds above anything else on the market at its time for technology. It bridged a span of a decade without much change other than technology, only to be outdone by the XJ. After the 1st gen, the second gen was a masterpiece not only in design, but functionality as well. If the originals were so bad and incapable, then how did they manage to win so many off-road races spanning 4 decades and 5 generations. The new release has HUGE shoes to fill. I am still on the fence with it because it doesn’t hold true to the roots buried in its past. But with all things, time will tell.
I never said the original was bad. My point is no one gives the new one a chance and it appears it'll be better. They see the pictures, with no context, and say it's a Honda CRV or Kia Soul and write it off. If you read up on it I think it's obvious the designers tried to pay homage to it's roots, but Land Rover has chosen to be a luxury brand and are never going to build something as utilitarian as the original. The Centre Steer podcast had on the guy from Alloy & Grit who was at the first reveal, he shed some interesting light on it that picture and IG posts don't.

Reactions: Bama_Kiwi

MidOH

Rank IV

Off-Road Ranger I

Mid Ohio
First Name
John
Last Name
Clark
Ham/GMRS Callsign
YourHighness
I'll bet that the xj simply just backed out.

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
How could one possibly define capable on a "Overlanding" forum that readily states that it doesn't matter what type of vehicle you drive?

Is a "Smart Car" a capable vehicle for that 5 mile trip to work, absolutely! Is it a capable vehicle on the Rubicon Trail or crossing the Sahara desert, not so much!

When you lump ANY/ALL vehicles under the "Overlanding" umbrella, the term "Capable" no longer has a significant meaning/definition. :grinning:

If you are in fact referring to the new Defender/Bronco, then come out and say it. :confused::confused: If so, then we can compare the new to the old and have a somewhat intelligent discussion. :grinning:

Last edited:

Neonsnow78

Rank III
Launch Member

Member III

Somerset, MA, USA
First Name
Ed
Last Name
Snow
Member #

A Jeep Renegade is capable in the right environment as much as a defender is. It’s all on what the persons plans are for the vehicle. I have a 3rdGen 4runner and don’t do a lot of hardcore stuff so it’s PLENTY capable for what I need, could probably use a Subaru XV and still be capable but two completely different vehicles

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

Seems like a loaded question. We all have different ideas and diffent ways of doing things. If were being real the most capable would be. elgan, unimog, sherpa, deuce and 1/2 and a few other vehicles with funky names i cant spell. Most capable of what? Rock crawling, water crossing, mudding, driving on pavement? Are we talking modified or stock vehicle?
A stock colorado cant drive through 6+ feet of water mine can, a stock colorado cant go through a rock garden i can.
Unless you go buy something someones has already built up your only as capable as any other stock street vehicle.

And just so you know a huge lift dont make vehicles capable it only makes em break easier and get stuck deeper. But you will look badass doing it.

Last edited:

Louiston

Rank V
Launch Member

Member III

USA
First Name
Lou
Last Name
N/A
Seems like a loaded question. We all have different ideas and diffent ways of doing things. If were being real the most capable would be. elgan, unimog, sherpa, deuce and 1/2 and a few other vehicles with funky names i cant spell. Most capable of what? Rock crawling, water crossing, mudding, driving on pavement? Are we talking modified or stock vehicle?
A stock colorado cant drive through 6+ feet of water mine can, a stock colorado cant go through a rock garden i can.
Unless you go buy something someones has already built up your only as capable as any other stock street vehicle.

And just so you know a huge lift dont make vehicles capable it only makes em break easier and get stuck deeper. But you will look badass doing it.
I'll send you a 100.00 bill, if you can show me a video of your Colorado completing a 6' deep water crossing. LOL

Boostpowered

Rank VI

Member III

Hunt county, TX, USA
First Name
Justin
Last Name
Davis
Member #

I'll send you a 100.00 bill, if you can show me a video of your Colorado completing a 6' deep water crossing. LOL
ill arange for someone to film me in april or may when the rain picks up again and we are saving folks in flooding if not enough rain then wait til hurricaine season to roll around. Highest water ive been in so far with it is at the bottom of the rear view mirrors which is chest high on me im 6,2 so around 5 ft. My sorkel sits at 6ft 7 inches, nearly every electronic on my truck is sealed with marine amazing goop and my diff , trans, t case, and fuel tank breathers are fed into my snorkel. Why wouldnt i be able to go a whole foot deeper than i already have?